8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am thinking of buying a Si 4dr sometime soon. I am wondering if I should wait for the new 2011 or just get the 2010 now. If i get the 2010 now, i lose like 6 months off the car. Where as the 2011 i gain like 2 or 3 months on it.
What do u think? Give pros and cons?

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
Honda salesmen, techs, don't know anything about the future of honda any more than we do.

I say if you don't need the car right now just wait till august or september to see if there will be a 2011. then just buy a 2010 then if there's no drastic changes.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am pretty sure we are still making them. I was over in plant 1 last week and we were making CSX Type-S which are Si powertrain. FYI the major change ins't coming until the 2012 model.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
if it was me i would try to get a 2010 if u could, my buddy just got his last friday and they said it was one of the last on the production line, they may not make another 4dr si, this generation was the first, could be the last good luck with finding one

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in Canada. So they are still making them. They got some being shipped over should arrive in June.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
if no more Si's are being made...does that mean ours are gunna go UP in resale??!?!!?!?!?

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
even if they do make 2011 Si's (which I think and hope they will) I would guess production on them won't be extremely high. They simply don't sell well. And they don't fit in with what Honda wants to do now. They very well could re-purpose the plant(s) to start doing CRZ's and simply slow down production of the Si until it has ceased.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
If you decide you want a 2010 you should wait til the 11's start rolling out. You'll get a better deal on one because they want to get rid of them at that point.

Also you gain a couple months on the model year buying the 11 but it could hurt with milage later down the road because your putting miles on it before the year so in 2013 youll have 2.5 years worth of mileage on a 2 year old car.

Similiar can be said for the 2010 though. Yes the miles would be less at the point of purchase but it is still considered a one year old car.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
If you decide you want a 2010 you should wait til the 11's start rolling out. You'll get a better deal on one because they want to get rid of them at that point.

Also you gain a couple months on the model year buying the 11 but it could hurt with milage later down the road because your putting miles on it before the year so in 2013 youll have 2.5 years worth of mileage on a 2 year old car.

Similiar can be said for the 2010 though. Yes the miles would be less at the point of purchase but it is still considered a one year old car.
Man, no offense but what rock have you been hiding under? Wait till the 2011's before getting a 2010 so you can get a better deal?

1. Nobody even knows if there will be a 2011 Si.
2. Chances are if there is, it will have VERY minor changes.
3. There have been so many threads asking where the 2010's are. I doubt that even if he can find one, any "deals" will be made... now or in 2011.

When it comes down to it, unless there has been a significant change, it doesn't matter about the year of the car as much as the miles. Think 2009 vs. 2010 Si's. In 3 years, if you were out to find an Si and you found one that was a 2009 with 30,000 miles on it and a 2010 with 35,000 miles on it would you really go for the 2010 over the 2009 because it is "newer"?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I think your living under the rock. If he waits until the 2011 models come out and can find a 2010 he can get a better deal on it because they want to make room for the new model cars. Thats pretty common knowledge when buying cars. An Si doesnt have to be replaced with an Si on the lot. Lets just say 2011 Accords are flying off the lot and these 2010 Si has been sitting there all year. They want that thing gone to make another free space for a new car.

Plus alot of dealerships are compensated for the first few months for each new model car they have on the lot. Having that Si sit there would be losing them money so giving you a deal benefits them.

Mileage/Model year also plays a huge role for someone like me. I usually drive at least 25k a year. If i buy a 2011 6 months before the actual year ill have about 12k on the car before its even in the right year for the model.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
I think your living under the rock. If he waits until the 2011 models come out and can find a 2010 he can get a better deal on it because they want to make room for the new model cars. Thats pretty common knowledge when buying cars. An Si doesnt have to be replaced with an Si on the lot. Lets just say 2011 Accords are flying off the lot and these 2010 Si has been sitting there all year. They want that thing gone to make another free space for a new car.

Plus alot of dealerships are compensated for the first few months for each new model car they have on the lot. Having that Si sit there would be losing them money so giving you a deal benefits them.

Mileage/Model year also plays a huge role for someone like me. I usually drive at least 25k a year. If i buy a 2011 6 months before the actual year ill have about 12k on the car before its even in the right year for the model.
That's still under the assumption that 1) He'll be able to find a 2010 Si on a lot in 2011 (which by what has been posted here, is hard to do even now) and 2) dealerships will be willing to deal on it. Let's say Honda DOESN'T make a 2011 Si. Even though a dealer may be losing money holding a 2010 Si on the lot in lieu of a new 2011 Accord, they know they can mark it up cause it's the last Civic Si on the lot until who knows when/if honda will start producing it again. Take a look at the S2000 for instance. I know it's in a bit higher league than an Si but not too much higher... a few (about 4) years ago I saw one on a dealer lot for $27,500. They were in fact trying to get rid of it. When I went to buy my Si, I saw 2009 S2K's on the lot for $35,000. Not trying to get rid of it... trying to turn a large profit on a car they knew was now extinct. I bet if you can find a 2009 S2000 on a dealer lot today, it's not going to be "priced to move".

I'm not saying it's impossible to find a 2010 Si today and that it will be impossible next year. I'm just thinking that our chances of seeing the 2011 look just like the 2010 are pretty good and if the guy is bent on getting a brand new Si, why chance them nixing it and you getting screwed when you could go out today and (if you can find one) pick it up. I do realize that every conclusion anyone is drawing is based on an assumption. Assuming the 2010 Si is in fact hard to come by and assuming it will be even harder in 2011. Assuming there is or is not going to be a 2011 Si. Assuming a dealership wants to get rid of the car...

·
Registered
57 Posts
well i went to a dealer ship about 2 weeks ago and the guy told me that they didnt have no more but that he could order it from japan but i would have to leave a g down and wait 90days to get the cars but he told me that he doesnt know if they coming out with 2011 one since everyone who wanted an si any ready got it and which means sells are going to be slow , but im still hopping to get an si (favorite car ever)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts