8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had a leak/whine in my power steering. I was able to finally get the o-rings changed out to see if that was the problem. I started to fill the resevoir as my son was turning the wheel. The whine went away for a little bit then came back. So, I got on the ground to see if by chance it was leaking because I didn't tighten a bolt. As I was looking under, I see fluid coming out fro the driver side. I noticed then, I had a pinch on the boot and I am guessing that's where it was coming from. I dried it, and shortly after, it was wet again.

Whats the consensus on this? What should my plan be? Obviously a new boot, but why coincidentally would that much come out at that particular time in my fix?

thanks

EDIT after a slight panic, and then thinking about it, I am guessing it was water that had mixed with the grease and dirt? maybe. I still just don't understand why it started whining again. I guess its possible I didn't add enough fluid. I plan on getting some more and driving it around some tomorrow afternoon

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had the high pressure feed line leak due to corrosion. I am in Michigan and that means salted roads in winter. It was on the passenger side. Even with no power steering fluid the pump did not whine. If yours whines with fluid your pump might be worn out?

Did the O-rings fix the leak? Are you sure they were actually leaking? Or is it actually on the drivers side? I had a hard time finding my leak because the fluid was forcefully spraying straight up soaking a wide area under the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the high pressure feed line leak due to corrosion. I am in Michigan and that means salted roads in winter. It was on the passenger side. Even with no power steering fluid the pump did not whine. If yours whines with fluid your pump might be worn out?

Did the O-rings fix the leak? Are you sure they were actually leaking? Or is it actually on the drivers side? I had a hard time finding my leak because the fluid was forcefully spraying straight up soaking a wide area under the car.

I replaced the orings, I am not sure it fixed the leak. The power steering pump has had fresh fluid on it, and also been vanishing from the reservoir. I couldn't see any leaking from the connections there. I just figured it would be easier and cheaper to change the orings out first and see. I have an MDX that had the same issue (whine, no leaks) and the orings fixed that

But, on further inspection yesterday afternoon. The leak on the driver side is from the boot on the rack, not the axle. So, YAY!!! Hopefully in the next few days off, I can get back under and reevaluate everything. But, as far as that leaking boot (i had no leaks before) is there a way to diagnose that and possibly fix that issue? Or is that a full RnP job?

thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts