8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!
I dont know if what i am experiencing is normal. When I was driving (40km/h) i shifted out of third (and into neutral) without actually hitting the clutch. I tried this for the 5th gear too and the same thing happened. I could shift out and into neutral without hitting the clutch.
Is this normal? I have made an appt with Honda tomorrow.

Worried

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have been able to do this in all manual transmissions that I have owned from ford and Honda. I would say it's normal. Your dealer will probably say the same and simply tell you to follow the owners manual instructions for shifting

·
Registered
347 Posts
not sure why everyone is so worried about putting the car in neutral without using the clutch. It will have no effect on the life of the trans and will actualy reduce wear on the clutch. Now shifting a sycro trans into gear with out the clutch is not a great idea it can still can be done

·
Registered
413 Posts
When the output shaft and the transmission have a relative speed of zero, it is possible to place the car in neutral without the clutch because there is no force on the transmission. Not a big deal unless you are doing it under load. Used to be able to do this in my old 2001 EX and 1986 Mustang.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
last night i spaced out for a sec and went from 4th into neutral without thinking/clutching. it took me a minute to realize what i had just done but i figured it wasn't so bad since there was almost no resistance and i didn't hear any grinding or noise from the trans :shrug: def not doing this again intentionally but doesn't seem to be a clutch-killer

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Its normal and shouldn't be done all the time. As LethalFlow said, more damage when clutch less shifting from N to gear. It puts more strain on the Syncros more then anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts