8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a cross post from the mechanical problems sub forum, just wanting to see if anyone here has seen anything like this.

This is the passenger side engine mount from my '09 Si. This wasn't a gradual failure but just a sudden failure. It appears that the bolts failed first which allowed to mount to have too much slack causing it to then fail.

The passenger side of the motor now sits about 1.5 to 2 inches lower which lets the accessory belt rub on everything.

UPDATE#1
I received a call from my local dealership earlier this week. I was told that they would NOT fix it under warranty as they believed the car had been abused. When I asked what they found that brought them to that conclusion, they told me "nothing". As of that call no one at honda had even looked at my car. What they did was look at the part that had failed, which I had provided them, and looked for similar failures. They told me that they had one similar failure and in that case it was determined to be abuse, therefore my car MUST have been abused as well. The sales manager made it very clear that all they did was relay the information they had to Honda North America and that it was they who denied the warranty. They provided me with the number for Honda North America to dispute the decision.

I called Honda North America and was speaking to a young man who seemed more keen on making smart a** remarks than providing any measure of assistance. When he asked "How do you expect me to help you today?" I responded "I would like to get the ball rolling on getting my car fixed under warranty" to which he responded "The ball is rolling, your claim under warranty has been denied I don't know what you expect me to do about that". Again he confirmed that Honda North America had zero evidence to back up the claim of abuse but also stated that Honda didn't need any evidence to deny a claim because the car had been modified. I informed him of the Magnuson-Moss act which basically states that the presence of aftermarket parts does not void a warranty. I also informed him that a warranty is a contract and for Honda to willfully breach this contract would require evidence. He stated that despite this he would not authorize repairs for my car. I decided to appeal his decision which pushed it up to the next level.

On Friday, I received a call from David at Honda North America, compared to the last guy he was much more helpful and seemed like he actually cared about getting the situation resolved. He took my information and I explained what happened. He told me that he would be calling me around next Friday to inform me of his decision.

I have since gotten in touch with a local law firm and was advised to go pick up the failed parts that I had given the dealership as they said these things have a tendency to "disappear".

What kills me inside is that my warranty was denied with ZERO evidence of abuse. They could look at the tires for wear patterns, or look for warped rotors and worn out pads, or any damage to other components. But they did NONE of this and decided to deny my warranty. Absolutely unacceptable! I'm sending the bolts out to have a failure analysis done on them.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Yikes

Has the engine or trans ever been pulled from your car?

Wonder if the bolts where over tightened at some point? The mount looks like cast iron, so it's not going to flex much before it snaps, so you're probably right about the bolts snapping first.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes

Has the engine or trans ever been pulled from your car?

Wonder if the bolts where over tightened at some point? The mount looks like cast iron, so it's not going to flex much before it snaps, so you're probably right about the bolts snapping first.
Nope engine and trans have never been pulled from the car.

·
Registered
954 Posts
If you have the part, there are metallurgists who can analyze the part down to the metal/casting/stress points/etc. If you modded the engine for more power, Honda's gonna default to that being the root cause (which without a expert looking at it could be BS)

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
crazy, when i was under warrenty i had a broken motor mount and a clearly modified car and honda was super cool in replacing it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like to thank everyone for all the kind wishes! Hopefully Honda North America can make this right! I've had 4 hondas since 2001 and this is the first major issue I've had,. But this situation could be enough for me and my family to swear off Honda forever.

If you have the part, there are metallurgists who can analyze the part down to the metal/casting/stress points/etc. If you modded the engine for more power, Honda's gonna default to that being the root cause (which without a expert looking at it could be BS)
I'm actually a mechanical engineer and I've had to study metallurgy and bolt failure back in college. From just a glance it looks like a clear cut case of fatigue failure based on a visual inspection of the point of fracture. At 20,000 miles on the car, fatigue failure should not be happening. Hell there are dedicated race Si's that run the stock bracket without a problem.

So come Monday I'll be sending one bolt out to be have examined with a scanning electron microscope. I'll have them take pictures of the fracture surface to show that it was indeed fatigue failure. I'll also be having them do an analysis of the crystal grain structure of the metal to ensure that the heat treatment of the bolt conforms with SAE standards.

The second bolt will be sent out to have positive material identification done to ensure that the material composition of the bolts meets SAE standards.

If Honda thinks I'm just going to roll over they are sorely mistaken.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
crazy, when i was under warrenty i had a broken motor mount and a clearly modified car and honda was super cool in replacing it.
I hate to be a bother but could you possibly provide any pictures? Honda of North America insists that there has been only one other failure of this kind. I'd love to have pictures of another instance to show in the court room.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Anybody else with this problem please, I just made a claim with honda of america, I have a 5 year old and a baby on the way really not looking forward to work on this or paying to get it fix!!

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
well this is a scary thread...

Hope yall get Honda to take care of yall... also hoping I dont have to deal with this crap ever... damn Hondas quaility just aint what it used to be... seems like everyday someone has a new stupid isssue like this and Honda is always pretending like it just doesnt exist..

declining quaility exposes bad customer service I guess...

OP is your car modded at all?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anybody else with this problem please, I just made a claim with honda of america, I have a 5 year old and a baby on the way really not looking forward to work on this or paying to get it fix!!
Since got boost says they insisted that their has only been one other failure of that kind. Maybe you both can work together and help each other out. Obviously there is more than just one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hate to be a bother but could you possibly provide any pictures? Honda of North America insists that there has been only one other failure of this kind. I'd love to have pictures of another instance to show in the court room.
Oh btw, i did some research, and i actually found some other 09 civics with the same problem. #72 and 2 after that are mount problems if i read correctly, ( i only skimmed).

·
Registered
35 Posts
They are reviewing my case but hope they can fix it, I have 3 other friends here in oklahoma with the same problem, but they fix it them selves and reported this to honda, but if you guys know anything else or anyone tell them to post in here I'm showing this to Honda, hopefully they can fix everybody is problem or maybe make a stronger bracket

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok I got a call back from Honda and they said that they can't do anything cus my car was highly modify, this is ridiculous, I only have a intake!! And they also said that never had a report of this happening to any civic owner, and that only one who have this problem!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Please anyone else have a problem with this!! Please call Honda at- 1800-999-1009 and even if you had this problem and fix it your self keep a receipt so if this is actually recall, Honda will refund for expenses. please need help

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sounds like Honda wants a class action lawsuit to go public

My torque mounts are making noise and I will be replacing them with Boomba mounts....the traction balls are going on too because the lower control arm rubber has worn on my east coast car....I would replace them with factory but would rather upgrade then use soft rubber again anyway

I have owned 11 Hondas and I am not happy about the treatment I read about regarding owners and them saying basic mods snap motormounts...with no evidence at that

I would call your local news station after gathering our info and motor mount issues.....if Honda wants attention the news media is MORE than happy to go public with issues corporations wont fix

It took media for the 3rd gear issue to get somewhat on the radar --- perhaps they need a reminder of that negative press

1 - 20 of 37 Posts