8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps some of you may help me out with some of the problems listed herein:
First, a brief introduction to my 2009 Civic Si Coupe named "Action Jackson"!

Here we have the current mileage:

Here we have the Skunk 2 Exhaust:

Exibit C, a silencer. My girlfriend likes riding with me more when it's on.

This is my very first post, I love the forums in general but especially all the :vtec: and that one thread about "you know you're an Si driver when..."

:eek:hsnap: NOW TO THE PROBLEM! :eek:hsnap:​
So I buy a car from a professional associate of mine - it's a BEAUTIFUL white 2009 Honda Civic Si Coupe and I payed 17k for it. So clean inside and it's got the exhaust (going up to the headers, maybe 3rd party headers, too?) and 15k miles on it. When I test drove it, I noticed a small amount of LIGHT bucking/rattling between the driver and passenger seat, under the car, only sometimes when working the throttle -- the seller assured me that it was because the exhaust was big and bumped the frame. He knows cars well and I trust him alright.
The Si's got Oregon plates, so I take it to the California DMV expecting anything up to $500 in heinous registration fees (if only I were so lucky). I walked out after paying $1828.00 because of California state's "Use Tax". :readtherules: From this point onward, I've got 2 months to get it smogged (emissions check) and return... but I am now STRAPPED for cash. Being active duty military, they let me keep my Georgia license. So then I dawdle and wait because it's no big deal and I've got a temporary big red paper registration in my back window... I put it off... Right down to this past Thursday - when I swing by the Smog Check like it's no big deal on my way to the DMV, thinking it's going to be a routine errand on my way to get my California plates.
:eek:mg: ! BUT I FAIL THE SMOG CHECK ! :eek:mg:​
At 25 mph I PASSed NO (NOX) with a measured 664ppm (Average is 18) and a maximum of 730ppm.
At 15 mph I FAILed NO (NOX) with a measured 549ppm (Average is 16) and a maximum of 443ppm.
Comprehensive Visual Inspection: PASS, Functional Check: PASS, Emissions Test: FAIL.
The technician said that it is crazy that a 2009 couldn't pass. He cited either the slight intermittent knocking of the exhaust (perhaps an "improper weld" somewhere, or where they couldn't reach around to the top of the pipe so didn't weld that spot) or an ECU that's been tweaked... either that or an "illegally high-flowing cat" (but the CAT passed the visual/functional portion of the inspection) as the technician had speculated.
My colleague (the seller) assured me that he reset the ECU to stock/factory after he HAD messed with a few settings, and assured me that the CAT was high-flow but should have passed.
Now, my car sat idle (and off) for approx 10 minutes before he tested it. He tested it with the silencer off. I had 90% of a tank of middle-grade (premium?) gas. I heard on some "HOW TO PASS SMOG TESTS" sites since then that if you go :vtec: on the freeway and then exit and get smogged right away, along with Techron in the gas tank, it'll help you pass. How much could that bring down my measured NOX parts per million? I'm guessing maybe a little but I would need my ppm to decrease by 20%. Dealership thinks my car's out of warranty because of the exhaust but I haven't taken it to them yet... nothing's open until Monday.

GEM OF KNOWLEDGE: US CODE - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312:
Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnum Moss Warranty Act [15 U.S.C. 2302{C}]).

Well now here are some interesting questions:
I have 4 days off coming up (SUN-WED) and I could drive 8 hours to Oregon (currently has Oregon plates) and try to get it registered there...
I have printed out a TON of forms (DMV, BoE, Military clauses for being from another state) and I am HOPING I can get some kind of DMV refund for the $1828.00 I spent (even within 30 days, I would WELCOME it)...

I want to see if Oregon DMV willl let me change the title (have it in hand) over and register it there without having an Oregon address?

Here's a complication: I am going to take the failed smog test to DMV on Monday and try to get an extension on the time I have to get it registered by (I believe I can do that) because my temporary registration expires on 31MAY.
Here's another complication: My lienholder is getting PISSED and if I don't have the title in their hands by June 17th, my interest rate goes from 3.9% to 7.0%.

What a mess, what can be done? THANK YOU :clapping: THANK YOU :clapping: THANK YOU anybody and everybody who can help me figure any of this situation out... I know that with all the DMV stuff this question sounds now (quite to me at this point, even) like it may not belong in this area of the forum. HELP PLEASE!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am on other threads reading about smogging and how CA sucks for it... thank you search function. Is there a forum where any of these questions would find a better demographic? Again, thanks in advance for ANY help/information!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
High flow cat. That's your problem right there (Any type of high-flow cat is illegal in CA)

I'd recommend getting it registered in Oregon, or removing the high-flow cat and installing the stock one first

·
Registered
219 Posts
Your problem is CA sucks and I'll never ever move there for that reason plus they have a shitty economy. My older brother is in the army and he kept his tags from GA even tho his living in WA and he has a 450hp civic with no CAT. So I don't see why you couldn't do the samething.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I know it's too late, but you have to leery about buying a car out of California and trying to register it here. CA has really strict smog laws. That use tax you're talking about is technically the sales tax rate of the county you live in.

Like a previous poster said, put on the stock exhaust, smog it, then put the aftermarket back on.

Edit: I love CA! I can't imagine living anywhere else.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Reason #1 I live in California:

(not me)
Nice pic and that is a good reason to live I CA. But I can't be smoking cuz I'm an Engineer for a DOD contractor and my aunt works for the FBI. Plus it's not a good idea to be working on government projects stoned. So I'm still staying away from living in CA but I'll make the visit to CA.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
just borrow someones cat/or stock exhaust to do your smog test..then slap the aftermarket after...i'd let you borrow mine if your local..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What a turn-out!

Thanks for replying, all! :clapping:
I thought I would receive a luke-warm response at best (in addition to at least one telling-off) due to the fact that search brings up this topic a few times.
I'm in West Marin County and do not have any spare parts nor would I know where to begin when it comes to switching out parts, though I do have a garage that I am able to use. I was afraid of this and will be asking Oregon DMV if I can title and register there (despite not having a residence there), FIRST THING Monday morning.. if so, then I'll be asking CA DMV if I can get that refund or not (though I think I've already filled out all the forms necessary, just don't know if circumstances that would warrant me a refund are right for me to submit said forms).
Would swapping out a CAT be easier\cheaper than driving 7 hours to Oregon? I doubt so if swapping out the whole exhaust!
If so, when would I next have to be re-smogged? If less than 3 years I am gravy and it's a one-time deal in that case, as I'm up for a Permanent Change of Station at that time.
Again, thanks all for the excellent responses (and interesting ones!) to my first post.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think it would be cheaper and easier to swap an exhaust then to drive to oregon sans OR address (dont you have any friends or family that would let you use theirs?). The only issue I forsee is that everytime you need smogged you will have to do this again (and you dont have the stock parts). Just my .02

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Swap the Cat and the car should pass. Plus make sure that you drive it nice and hard before you get a smog everytime, this makes the cat nice and efficiant.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Okay, reading your post leads me to believe there's potentially two issues at hand here:

1) Since they did the visual inspection, we know you don't have a true race header. So, you either have the stock header with a High Flow Cat (HFC) or you have a Vibrant Race Header with HFC. If you fall in this bucket & want to register your car in CA, you WILL need to switch it back to stock, or order an OBDII HFC that can pass smog tests.

2) You have the stock header and cat. If this is the case, it's more troubling to me because the only other thing that might cause you a little worse emissions is the Skunk2 cat-back. That alone shouldn't cause you to fail emissions, so something is wrong with you car & the dealership should fix this. Having an exhaust alone will not void your warranty, but, they may blame your exhaust on the reason you're failing emissions.

As for your loan, if you've already signed the loan, it's a contract, I'd look for a clause that says if you don't bring the title by "XX" date, it's considered a default and they will raise your rate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
California "Use Tax" is a B*TCH

Actually it's not the loan that I want a refund on, but the registration. I paid $1828 at the CA DMV and after reading all the ways/things that you can/can't get refunded for, I am just crossing my fingers. I have the red paper "temporary registration" thing in my back window with a big white number on it, but the title hasn't been transferred YET and it's not registered to me YET ... it was pending the smogging. I love the loan. I am keeping the car... just hope to get some of that $1828.00 back if I'm going to say f*ck it and just end up going to Oregon to get it registered anyway.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
OP, stick the silencer ALLLLL the way in the exhaust and go get retested :laughing:

seriously though, put the stock exhaust back on and the car will pass.

oh and a little :vtec: before the test couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Perhaps some of you may help me out with some of the problems listed herein:
First, a brief introduction to my 2009 Civic Si Coupe named "Action Jackson"!

Here we have the current mileage:
[URL=http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/5746/fixpix2.jpg]image
[/URL]

Here we have the Skunk 2 Exhaust:
[URL=http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/7378/fixpix1.jpg]image
[/URL]

Exibit C, a silencer. My girlfriend likes riding with me more when it's on.
[URL=http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3035/fixpix3.jpg]image
[/URL]

This is my very first post, I love the forums in general but especially all the :vtec: and that one thread about "you know you're an Si driver when..."

:eek:hsnap: NOW TO THE PROBLEM! :eek:hsnap:​
So I buy a car from a professional associate of mine - it's a BEAUTIFUL white 2009 Honda Civic Si Coupe and I payed 17k for it. So clean inside and it's got the exhaust (going up to the headers, maybe 3rd party headers, too?) and 15k miles on it. When I test drove it, I noticed a small amount of LIGHT bucking/rattling between the driver and passenger seat, under the car, only sometimes when working the throttle -- the seller assured me that it was because the exhaust was big and bumped the frame. He knows cars well and I trust him alright.
The Si's got Oregon plates, so I take it to the California DMV expecting anything up to $500 in heinous registration fees (if only I were so lucky). I walked out after paying $1828.00 because of California state's "Use Tax". :readtherules: From this point onward, I've got 2 months to get it smogged (emissions check) and return... but I am now STRAPPED for cash. Being active duty military, they let me keep my Georgia license. So then I dawdle and wait because it's no big deal and I've got a temporary big red paper registration in my back window... I put it off... Right down to this past Thursday - when I swing by the Smog Check like it's no big deal on my way to the DMV, thinking it's going to be a routine errand on my way to get my California plates.
:eek:mg: ! BUT I FAIL THE SMOG CHECK ! :eek:mg:​
At 25 mph I PASSed NO (NOX) with a measured 664ppm (Average is 18) and a maximum of 730ppm.
At 15 mph I FAILed NO (NOX) with a measured 549ppm (Average is 16) and a maximum of 443ppm.
Comprehensive Visual Inspection: PASS, Functional Check: PASS, Emissions Test: FAIL.
The technician said that it is crazy that a 2009 couldn't pass. He cited either the slight intermittent knocking of the exhaust (perhaps an "improper weld" somewhere, or where they couldn't reach around to the top of the pipe so didn't weld that spot) or an ECU that's been tweaked... either that or an "illegally high-flowing cat" (but the CAT passed the visual/functional portion of the inspection) as the technician had speculated.
My colleague (the seller) assured me that he reset the ECU to stock/factory after he HAD messed with a few settings, and assured me that the CAT was high-flow but should have passed.
Now, my car sat idle (and off) for approx 10 minutes before he tested it. He tested it with the silencer off. I had 90% of a tank of middle-grade (premium?) gas. I heard on some "HOW TO PASS SMOG TESTS" sites since then that if you go :vtec: on the freeway and then exit and get smogged right away, along with Techron in the gas tank, it'll help you pass. How much could that bring down my measured NOX parts per million? I'm guessing maybe a little but I would need my ppm to decrease by 20%. Dealership thinks my car's out of warranty because of the exhaust but I haven't taken it to them yet... nothing's open until Monday.

GEM OF KNOWLEDGE: US CODE - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312:
Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnum Moss Warranty Act [15 U.S.C. 2302{C}]).

Well now here are some interesting questions:
I have 4 days off coming up (SUN-WED) and I could drive 8 hours to Oregon (currently has Oregon plates) and try to get it registered there...
I have printed out a TON of forms (DMV, BoE, Military clauses for being from another state) and I am HOPING I can get some kind of DMV refund for the $1828.00 I spent (even within 30 days, I would WELCOME it)...

I want to see if Oregon DMV willl let me change the title (have it in hand) over and register it there without having an Oregon address?

Here's a complication: I am going to take the failed smog test to DMV on Monday and try to get an extension on the time I have to get it registered by (I believe I can do that) because my temporary registration expires on 31MAY.
Here's another complication: My lienholder is getting PISSED and if I don't have the title in their hands by June 17th, my interest rate goes from 3.9% to 7.0%.

What a mess, what can be done? THANK YOU :clapping: THANK YOU :clapping: THANK YOU anybody and everybody who can help me figure any of this situation out... I know that with all the DMV stuff this question sounds now (quite to me at this point, even) like it may not belong in this area of the forum. HELP PLEASE!
It is your after market cat causing your failure. Is illegal in California. :deadhorse:

Why in the hell if you are in the Military stationed in California and not a state resident are you getting a California registration? I would be getting it thru GA DMV. Must be a Jar Head! :eek:hsnap:
Find a Junk yard , quite a few in Sac (Rancho Cordova) for for OEM Cat put it back on and re smog it. Your Skunk exhaust has noting to do with it. Or better yet their may be a 8th Gen member that has taken off and still has their OEM in stored to put on in times of smog.

You buddy sorta of screwed ya two. Your exhaust should not be bounce around as you describe under the car if it was done right.:usa:

Good Luck! Let us all know how your adventure works out with DMV.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Lol ... hey, don't get me wrong, CA, if it wasn't for their politics or fees would be a great place to live - but I don't smoke weed, and I find it over the top INSANE they can ask with a straight face over $1800 to register a freaking CIVIC. And you guys are still going bankrupt as a state last I heard to boot. Remove your state legislature and start over, cause their killing your state.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.