8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I brought a 2009 Civic Si and It had 8,000 miles on it. I don't know what he previous owner did but I haven't abused it, I have treated her pretty good and really love this car.

So for the past few weeks I have been noticing this burning smell after long rides, I checked the hood and under but couldn't really isolate anything so I shrugged it off as crap on the engine or whatever.

I have also had a bit of a problem getting into 3rd gear sometimes I would stick quite hard. I thought the 3rd gear syncro problem had been fixed on these?

Fast-forward to yesterday and I am driving up a pretty steep bridge, I shift into 3rd and notice the RPMs climbing but I'm not going anywhere, I shift up to 4th (my first reaction) and check my clutch/shifter but it all seems ok, still nothing, I baby the car to the nearest parking lot and park, the smell coming from the hood is the same smell I have been smelling except now its TERRIBLE and bellowing out the hood. Smells like a dead clutch :(

So I get towed home a few hours later and call Honda today... They are coming any minute to get it...

Will Honda cover this under the warranty or am I ******? I don't drive it hard enough to need a clutch now! I have had manuals all my life and an 08 EX before this that never needed a clutch all the way to 65K... Anyone been thru this so soon?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you think because of the smell it has been frying out because of some other problem? Like not fully engaging or something?

Anyone know what they will charge to replace the clutch if its not covered?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i had it replaced there. got ****** on the price. hard. $2200. oh well. i didnt pay for it...im just saying.
Is that high? I was thinking around $3000 since they had to drop the subframe... But I really don't know, so that better but I'd still like it to be less.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Is that high? I was thinking around $3000 since they had to drop the subframe... But I really don't know, so that better but I'd still like it to be less.
i probably could have had it done at my buddies shop for less than that and gotten a better clutch out of it too.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
you shouldn't need to change clutch before 100K miles....if you need to change your clutch before 65K that means your driving style is wearing it out....

my 01 civic with 115k miles with original clutch was smooth as the first time....then I totaled the car....

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
3k for a clutch? thats insanity.

You in the Philly area? I could hook you up with a shop that fixed my RSX-S for me. It needed a trans and clutch, i got the trans on my own but they put it in, got me a new clutch and put that in as well for $900.

My SRT-4 clutch went at 9k though and Dodge fixed it for free.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.