8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I have a 2009 Honda Civic EX & last week it started to make a strange noise when I start it coming from the Starter.

Whether I start fast or slow, the noise is there. I've noticed if I start too fast the car can not start (due to the security possibly?) so I always turn it over about the speed in my video. It had never made this weird, growly noise until last week, though.

It makes a squeak, GRRRR, Grunt right before it switches over to start. Here is the video:

Someone suggested I shoot in some WD40 but I wanted to get your feedback before I do that!

This car is under warranty for a few more months. I have to take time off to take it in so if it's a minor fix, wonderful. If I have to take it in, I definitely want to fight for coverage under warranty.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i already made a post a while ago about this

i have a 2007 coupe automatic
mine too does this but not always

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine has been doing it every time and it's not that cold out or anything. I'll look up your post. Since everyone describes the noises differently, I haven't been able to find much on this problem.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Forgot to mention that I didn't find what causes this

Mine does it once in a while and temperature doesn't change anything
The sound mine makes tho it's a lot more pronounced like an electrical buzzing sound as if I'm trying to Hotwire the car

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
This sounds like an electrical short in the ignition . I would try to pinpoint where the sound is coming from and take off the shrouds that covers the ignition and see if there is a short from any exposed wires see if the wires are arcing . If it was the starter or the solenoid it would just wind or Not engage at all making a clicking sound.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hello all!

I have a 2009 Honda Civic EX & last week it started to make a strange noise when I start it coming from the Starter.

Whether I start fast or slow, the noise is there. I've noticed if I start too fast the car can not start (due to the security possibly?) so I always turn it over about the speed in my video. It had never made this weird, growly noise until last week, though.

It makes a squeak, GRRRR, Grunt right before it switches over to start. Here is the video: Car Starter Noisr - YouTube

Someone suggested I shoot in some WD40 but I wanted to get your feedback before I do that!

This car is under warranty for a few more months. I have to take time off to take it in so if it's a minor fix, wonderful. If I have to take it in, I definitely want to fight for coverage under warranty.

Thanks for any help.

Hey! I got the same noise to everytime i start my engine..I though im the only one experiencing these.Mine has long like electrical buzzing but everytime i heard these i stop my starting the engine,Then i start again everything is fine..Do you think is these from the starter or Security feature of the anti lock?:think:

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's the exact noise mine makes sometimes in the YouTube Video. There's no pattern to when it chooses to make the noise. It just will make that noise anytime, once a day, twice a day. Then you take it into the dealer and you can start it 5 times in a row and it won't make it. So they check it out and they say there is no problem with the ignition and bring it back when it makes the noise. I bet they know what it is and want to wait until the extended warranty lapses so they can charge me for a new unit.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Bump.. mine just started doing this! I replaced my battery two months ago because of a freeze. Otherwisenothing I can think of as far as eelectronic problems. I cant pin point whats doing it. Gonna pull the fuse to ignition and see how it looks

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sounds like the bendix clutch on the starter is failing to retract after start. It will make an odd noise and yes as grease gets thick with cooler temperatures it can be worse.

It’s an early sign that you will soon need a new starter. If you do replace the starter get a real Mitsuba starter. It’s the same manufacturer that Honda uses. Replacing a starter on the R18 is tough and you do not want to do that job twice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts