8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Got a good one for you... When I drive my 2009 Civic for over an hour and the car gets hot, the ventation barely blows any
air regardless of settings, AC or not. When she's cold no problem, get great air flow, heat and AC. As she warms up, fans seems to blow less and less till you're dying of heat in the car. Really weird...
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
If it only occurred with the A/C on, I would think that the evaporator may be freezing up. (with excessive heat/humidity, the water that condenses on the evaporator may freeze, blocking air flow and preventing air from coming out of the vents.)

If the problem occurs regardless of climate control setting, I'm guessing there's a problem with your blower resistor, or possibly the blower fan itself. Here's my question: when you say that it occurs with the A/C off, is this after the A/C has been on for a significant amount of time? That could be due to the condensation issue I mentioned above. You say you're dying of heat in the car, so I'm assuming that you had the A/C on at some point there. Try driving for an hour with no A/C but the fan on, and see if it happens then.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would start with this:
How to Troubleshoot the Heating/Air Conditioning (With A/C: Without Climate Control)

It's an on-board self diagnosis. Sometimes it can be really helpful.

Also, are you 100% sure that the fan only stops working when the car is warm? That could just be a coincidence. I also have a 2009 Civic, and my blower just began to fail as it aged. After some testing, I determined that the blower motors itself was worn out. It could also be the resistor that failed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This happens to me after about 30 mins of driving in 90+ degrees. Let it off for about 15 mins, then returns to working normal. Air is still cold, just very low power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips. I'll try it on my next ride without the A/C on to see if the fan slows down. Each time it did it I did have the A/C on full tilt and then everything slows down. Never noticed it in the winter, only when it's super hot outside.
Stay tuned :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have the same problem! Sorry to resurrect such an old thread. I have a 2008 Civic LX, and if I drive with the AC on a hot day, after about an hour the air coming out of the vents slows down. I think it slows down gradually, and at the end it's barely coming out of the vents, although it's still cold air.

If I adjust the fan speed, I hear sounds like there's more air flowing, but even on max it barely comes out of the vents. I've tried switching off AC and switching different modes (recirculate, regular vents, foot vents, etc.), but it doesn't help.

The problem tends to go away after the car cools off. It MIGHT go away when I run the self-diagnostic function, but that might just be a coincidence of it cooling off.

It feels like it's something wrong in the ventilation system that decides where air goes, and somehow the AC system being under high load for a long time is making some vent close or something? Does anyone have any solutions for this?

Edit: I forgot something. I replaced the cabin air blower motor the first time this happened, on a long drive last summer, so the fan is pretty new. Since the problem is happening again (repeatedly on long hot summer drives), and I can hear (but not feel) airflow, I think it isn't a problem with the fan. I hear people talking about a "resistor" sometimes; what resistor are they talking about? I'm knowledgeable about circuits, and I have a multimeter I can test with. Also, the cabin air filter is clean.

I read through this other thread I found later but didn't find a solution. I'm going to check directly if the blower motor is spinning correctly when I get into this state on my drive home today. https://www.8thcivic.com/threads/a-c-blower-intermittently-working-not-transistor-or-motor.241994/page-5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts