8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

So when i pull the parking brake, the rear passenger side locks up, but the rear drivers side spins freely. i pulled the center console out and this is what it looks like when the parking handle is pulled. shoult the T braket be all cocked like that? When the handle is released, the bracket goes mostly back to even. Do i need a new parking brake cable? Could it be the caliper?

I noticed the issue because the parking brake isnt strong enough to hold the car on an incline anymore. I have to leave it in gear. Sometimes that doesn't even work!

Thank you ahead of time for your time and advice!

·
Registered
16 Posts
My first thought is your left rear parking brake is seized. Have someone apply and release the parking brake while you are on the ground looking at the parking brake crank lever on both rear brakes calipers. I bet your left rear does not move at all. If so, pull off the rear tires, and try to move your right rear brake first to get an idea of movement using pliers, pushing with a screw driver or other suitable tool carefully. Now try the same on your left rear and you should feel the same unless it is frozen. Let us know what you found. Edit, I looked at the picture again and it looks like your left rear is pulling further. Ummm, your left rear cable might be moving but parking brake mechanism in the caliper might not be engaging at all.

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
I've had parking brake issues in the past and it was always one of the cables seizing due to corrosion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first thought is your left rear parking brake is seized. Have someone apply and release the parking brake while you are on the ground looking at the parking brake crank lever on both rear brakes calipers. I bet your left rear does not move at all. If so, pull off the rear tires, and try to move your right rear brake first to get an idea of movement using pliers, pushing with a screw driver or other suitable tool carefully. Now try the same on your left rear and you should feel the same unless it is frozen. Let us know what you found. Edit, I looked at the picture again and it looks like your left rear is pulling further. Ummm, your left rear cable might be moving but parking brake mechanism in the caliper might not be engaging at all.
I took off the rear left wheel. pulling the parking brake handle does in fact move the lever on the caliper, however I can freely spin the wheel with the handle engaged, while the other side locks up tight. I also had someone apply the brake with the pedal, and the rear left wheel locks up tight, just like it is supposed to. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the caliper. what do you think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone!

So when i pull the parking brake, the rear passenger side locks up, but the rear drivers side spins freely. i pulled the center console out and this is what it looks like when the parking handle is pulled. shoult the T braket be all cocked like that? When the handle is released, the bracket goes mostly back to even. Do i need a new parking brake cable? Could it be the caliper?

I noticed the issue because the parking brake isnt strong enough to hold the car on an incline anymore. I have to leave it in gear. Sometimes that doesn't even work!

Thank you ahead of time for your time and advice!

View attachment 241732
Check the lever on the top back side of each rear caliper. I had a similar issue and replaced both rear calipers before I realized that my passenger side parking brake cable was stretched.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts