8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Boy its been a while.

So I have a few projects that I am planning and have a questions specific to High beam and Low beam on at the same time.

I have a 2008 SI. When I turn on my high beam, my low beam turns off until I turn off my high beam. I know that on the 2009+ models, when you turn on the high beam, the low beam stays on. I have several ideas on how I can accomplish this on my car through custom wiring but I am curious to know if there is something that can be done thats more OEM. For ex: is there a specific relay/fuse that is installed in the 2009 models that is not on the 2008 that will allow me to accomplish this?

I have made several projector retrofits and am currently working on a new set. I am trying to keep my wiring harness as clean as possible without having to create too many custom harnesses.

Thanks in advance for all your help. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
i have a 07 FA5 and my lowbeams stay on with my high beams comes on.... in fact ALL 06+ model civic's the lowbeam stays on when the highbeam is on.

EDIT: this is unless you have modded your headlights... if you did or someone did then you or that person didn't do it right.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Something is wrong with your car.

ALL our civics should keep the low beams on when turning on your highs.
My 07 and my gf's 06 both do this, as well as every other car I've seen.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is very interesting - I before i had a harness (due to my bixenon setup) my low beam never stayed on when i turn on my high beam.

Do you guys think that taking off the DRL fuse might affect this somehow? I dont see why it would make a different.

I will have to review my setup again. I haven't done anything to the internal wiring of the car and if i remove my harness i should be able to see if perhaps im just going crazy. I could swear that before i did any mods i remember that the high beam and low beam would not stay on together. Ive done retro's on my previous cars and for many friends so i know this is something i would try to understand better especially when doing a bixenon setup. I could just be going crazy lolol

Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The DRL fuse won't have any effect on this. My DRL fuse is pulled and my highs and lows are on at the same time, which is great since I have bixenon projectors. It's like getting twice the light.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
This is very interesting - I before i had a harness (due to my bixenon setup) my low beam never stayed on when i turn on my high beam.

Do you guys think that taking off the DRL fuse might affect this somehow? I dont see why it would make a different.

I will have to review my setup again. I haven't done anything to the internal wiring of the car and if i remove my harness i should be able to see if perhaps im just going crazy. I could swear that before i did any mods i remember that the high beam and low beam would not stay on together. Ive done retro's on my previous cars and for many friends so i know this is something i would try to understand better especially when doing a bixenon setup. I could just be going crazy lolol

Thank you all for your help.
When you told me about that over the pm, I thought it is odd, but then you may be right since you have the 08 SI, not me. Well, now it looks like it is your car issue. That behavior most likely caused by your custom harness, but I can't think of any reason why someone want to make a harness to work like that though.

You still have the 9005 and 9006 OEM plug, right? If so, you can just unplug it from your harness, then connect two bulbs to it and see.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason i created my harness the way i did (using diodes to trigger high beam solenoid and low beam HID at the same time) was because my low beam would turn off when my high beam with turn on. I needed a way to leave the HID on while supplying power to the bixenon solenoid. Since my low beam turns off (or so i swear by lol) i had to get creative.

I have done NO modification to my vehicle stock wiring and my harness is plug and play. I am going to remove all wiring harness sometime in the next few days and connect all the stock bulbs back into the plugs. For test purposes I am also going to place the DRL fuse (even though - as previously state - this should have zero effect on the high/low dilemma).

Once I have everything back to stock, I am going to test and video tape. Hopefully - i will get the desired outcome and then use StupidPig's relay diagram sent via PM. If it does not yield the results needed, i will have to figure out why and hopefully find a simple workaround.

I seriously hope thats its just my mind playing games with me but i swear, i seriously remember my low beam turning off when my high beam turns on. I will test soon and let you guys know.

Thanks ALL for your help - Seriously. It is greatly appreciated

1 - 9 of 9 Posts