8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hullo! :wavey:

This is my first post to 8thcivic as I do not yet own one of these cars, but I am looking to! I've been searching for '09s and '10s all over, but have only come across one and I don't dig the color. Other dealerships have offered to "order in" the car that I want, but there's a markup of about $2500 on the ticket price and I can't justify that in my head right now.

Today, I came across a dealership that is selling the '08 Mugen SI with a little under 24,000 miles. They are asking $22,995. While I did not consider the Mugen before because I didn't think I'd find one for sale, it's very tempting now, especially since I don't think I'm going to find a 2009/2010 in black anytime soon. (And I need a car pretty soon - I don't think my old car's gonna make it much longer!)

In my mind, my justification for the Mugen is that A) I'll finally have a car that I can rely on and won't need to bother with anymore car shopping and B) if I got the Mugen, I can't see myself spending much more energy/effort/money to mod it out. (Whereas with a new SI, there would be some changes I'd foresee myself spending money on.)

Can anyone offer an opinion as to whether I should consider the Mugen or not? I have no dealership experience as this is my first car purchase and I really have my heart set on the SI (to the dismay of car salesmen.) Thank you for your help on this, guys! :wigglesmiley:

- JLFung

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mugen Si are overrated IMO. I would spend less money on the new 2010 Si and have less then 10 miles on it. Plus you will be the first owner of the New car and you don't know if the last owner of the Mugen Si dawg the crap out that car. $22k for a car with 24,000 is way to much for me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Oh, Rock Chalk Jay Hawk! I'm not a fan but I Show respect becuz Bill Self will always be Cowboy. I graduated from Okstate, GO POKES!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mugen Si are overrated IMO. I would spend less money on the new 2010 Si and have less then 10 miles on it. Plus you will be the first owner of the New car and you don't know if the last owner of the Mugen Si dawg the crap out that car. $22k for a car with 24,000 is way to much for me.
Thanks, rmendez! Yeah, ultimately, I would agree with you on purchasing a new 2010 SI for the sticker price rather than the Mugen, however those '09 and '10 SIs are impossible to come by.

I have found one in the two months that I have been searching (and I've been searching not only in the entire state of California, but neighboring states and Kansas too!). The only one I've found is a 2010 Polished Metallic with 2000 miles and Navigation for $24,000. As far as those SIs go though, the only color that does it for me is the Crystallized Black. And I have no need for the navigation.

In addition, when going around to other dealerships asking if they can order in the car for me, the Glendale location said they'd order it in for me, but for no less than a $2500 premium over sticker (and this isn't a guarantee that they can even get the car in). And Hollywood quoted me $24,000 for the basic standard SI if they can even locate one. All other dealerships in my area are just telling me "tough luck". =P

That's why when I ran into the Mugen, my impulse to just buy it while it's available kicked in. :facepalm: I'm still going to go check it out at the dealership tomorrow morning and if I like what I see, I'll run the Carfax reports. I'm going to try to do/say what I can to see if the dealership will lower the selling price.

Thanks again for your input, rmendez! I would appreciate any other advice or opinions! I'll update again tomorrow with more info after visiting the dealership. I'd appreciate any help I can get. :wigglesmiley:

Rock Chalk! :cheerleader:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
If you can talk them down to <20k, sounds like a deal. If you disregard the initial ridiculous price increase, the Mugen Si is a great choice if you're interested in the K20Z3. Do keep in mind, though, that an 08 Si with 24k miles would likely be selling for around 16-17k after haggling, so you're still likely to pay around a 3k premium.

If you intend on modifying the suspension, exhaust, and wheels, then I'd strongly recommend you search for a non-Mugen Si. The premium you'll pay is mostly attributed to the aforementioned parts.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Im sure you can talk the dealer down a bit on the price but 22k for a Mugen with that mileage sounds about right.

24k is nothing, even if they "dawg-ed" the crap outta it, like a member said up top.

I beat the living hell outta my Si and @ 65k it still drives like new.

·
Registered
219 Posts
True but my 08 Si only has 13,000 miles on it. I drive it hard every now and then but I have a 400hp 2000 civic Si I drive too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hullo! :wavey:

This is my first post to 8thcivic as I do not yet own one of these cars, but I am looking to! I've been searching for '09s and '10s all over, but have only come across one and I don't dig the color. Other dealerships have offered to "order in" the car that I want, but there's a markup of about $2500 on the ticket price and I can't justify that in my head right now.

Today, I came across a dealership that is selling the '08 Mugen SI with a little under 24,000 miles. They are asking $22,995. While I did not consider the Mugen before because I didn't think I'd find one for sale, it's very tempting now, especially since I don't think I'm going to find a 2009/2010 in black anytime soon. (And I need a car pretty soon - I don't think my old car's gonna make it much longer!)

In my mind, my justification for the Mugen is that A) I'll finally have a car that I can rely on and won't need to bother with anymore car shopping and B) if I got the Mugen, I can't see myself spending much more energy/effort/money to mod it out. (Whereas with a new SI, there would be some changes I'd foresee myself spending money on.)

Can anyone offer an opinion as to whether I should consider the Mugen or not? I have no dealership experience as this is my first car purchase and I really have my heart set on the SI (to the dismay of car salesmen.) Thank you for your help on this, guys! :wigglesmiley:

- JLFung
Buddy just picked up 09 SI Coupe yesterday from Dublin Honda only had 6700 miles on it! Was sitting on their lot since mid or late April. Paid 20k OTD. Look on Honda.com under cert vehicles. Found this one for him in 10 seconds. It does search up to 250 miles of zip code.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys,

Just got back from the dealership. So...

The Mugen was beautiful, but I was kind of surprised to see the shape it was in. Let me describe:

No-Nos:
1. Front lip had a pretty bad crack and didn't seem to fit on the bumper just right. Later discovered the tabs to hold the lip to the bumper had snapped off.
2. BF Goodrich tires were bald. And rims had noticeable curb rash.
3. Rear Mugen SI badge and the Mugen badge near the shift boot had apparently been removed prior to the dealership receiving this car. In addition, while at this dealership, someone broke into the unlocked car and lifted the Mugen shift knob and boot about a week ago. :facepalm: D'oh!
4. Found rust on the trunk.
5. Rear lip appeared to have been glued on to the bumper?!?! Contributes to the lip not fitting perfectly on the car.
6. Two dents on roof of car. Looks like hail damage, but I wasn't aware Southern California experienced this type of weather. =P
7. Small cigarette burns on driver and front passenger seat. Interior dash had some unusual knicks and scratches. Overhead buttons and visors seemed dirty. -____-
8. Side skirts appeared to have been repainted and while the color match was fine, the paint job looked shoddy. Some of the paint was flaking and I could see paint drip patterns.
9. Suspension seemed creaky.

Woohoo!s:
1. Brand new transmission and clutch replaced by Honda just a week ago. :dance:
2. Boyfriend took it for a drive and it performed wonderfully. Sounds excellent - no unusual noises from engine and when he pushed it, he didn't experience any 2nd to 3rd gear grind.

Negotiation:
The asking price for the vehicle is $22,995. Seemed like we quickly talked the salesman down to $20,500 after pointing out all those above no-nos. However, I told the salesman I could not justify paying more than $20,000 as it would cost me thousands to bring the vehicle back to the condition I'd prefer (including new tires, new front lip and tending to the rust issues...at the least). At this point, I'm willing to write him a check for $22k ($19,500 for the vehicle, approximately $2000 in Cali sales tax and about $700 for license and other fees) and just take the vehicle as is. Then I plan to gradually fix up the car with the money I "saved". What do you think?

Once again, I'd appreciate the input! :wigglesmiley:
- JLFung

Buddy just picked up 09 SI Coupe yesterday from Dublin Honda only had 6700 miles on it! Was sitting on their lot since mid or late April. Paid 20k OTD. Look on Honda.com under cert vehicles. Found this one for him in 10 seconds. It does search up to 250 miles of zip code.
Thanks, Wyotechtuner, for the advice. However, when I did the search, only Coupes came up and I'm only interested in the Sedan. =/

Enojy - Yup, if I got the Mugen, I don't plan on doing anything to modify suspension or exhaust (unless it was a repair). This is why the Mugen appeals to me over any other SI, which I foresee myself wanting to put more money into tweaking.

bro2snakeaterblk08 - Good to hear! Thanks for the input. :thumb:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I own a mugen si, and trust me I wouldn't give any more than 16K for that car. period. If you plan to fix all the parts, it will cost well over 25K to get the front bumper spoiler, rims, and the shift nob/boot. I would highly discourage you from buying it judging by the info you gave. There are a lot of mugens out there that are selling for the same price and are in much better condition with lower milage. check out cars.com and narrow it down to mugen si's. you will find much better one's there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oy... You guys are right. Especially after looking through Cars.com for other Mugens as charmzdub suggested, the Mugen I've been looking at is pretty sad. :facepalm: Thanks, charm. =)

I've contacted a few of the dealerships I found off that website who have the Mugen in inventory and I'll talk to those guys first. Problem is...being in California right now - it'll be quite an expense to just go visit the dealerships and test drive, check the condition of the cars and negotiate. Of course, I'd have no problem flying out to pay for the car and pick it up for the roadtrip home, hehe. :wigglesmiley: I'm thinking of offering some sort of incentive for a fellow forum member to perform the due diligence for me. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help too as well, Danlexani and vollrathian! Glad I didn't act on impulse and just buy the car yesterday. I'd feel like such a fool today. Hehe.

- JLFung

·
Registered
212 Posts
No problem^. Buying a car like the mugen is hard to do sometimes. It took me two years to get mine. bought it new this march for 23,975 w/ 106mi. It was at a dealership I never expected to find it at,.....but those dealers are the one's you want to buy from. As far as I know I believe I purchased the last brand new mugen so I'm feelin' pretty lucky. I traded in my red '09 si and got 18,500 for it, which I knew was a very good price after buying it 10 months ago, brand new, for only 19,700.
ps: If u ever would have to sell your mugen after u get one, keep in mind that people only want stock mugen's. so unless you're sure that your gunna keep it, don't mod it. And to make a suggestion, also check out craigslist.com. there are lots of privot parties selling mugen's as well. search the big cities first, and then around your hometown. You may find one closer to you than you think! I used to do this before I got my mugen just to see where and how much they were going for. good luck.
ps: on cars.com the one from south carolina looks like a good buy as well as the one's in Illinois.

·
Registered
846 Posts
do not buy that car.
based on your description, the car is in complete crap condition, which only speaks to how well it was taken care of by previous owner.
furthermore, i'm surprised the dealer hasn't fixed some of these issues, RUST at 25k miles?? Are you serious?

i know you live in california, so i'm sure prices of vehicles are higher and considered more exclusive. but honestly, if a dealership is asking 2.5k OVER MSRP i'd walk away. I like my SI, but i got it for 20k+TTL in Chicago, i know it's frustrating, but i'd either try and continue searching for used SI's, or start thinking of some other cars that are comparable.

do you have family in another state? Might not be a bad idea to go for a "vacation" and start calling dealerships with family/friends in other states. Because if you wanted a new SI in chicago, i could point you to a dealer or two that had a few 09's and some 10's, and you'd get it for 20k+TTL if not better (this was my first car purchase, and i think i could've done much better, but oh well).

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Oy... You guys are right. Especially after looking through Cars.com for other Mugens as charmzdub suggested, the Mugen I've been looking at is pretty sad. :facepalm: Thanks, charm. =)

I've contacted a few of the dealerships I found off that website who have the Mugen in inventory and I'll talk to those guys first. Problem is...being in California right now - it'll be quite an expense to just go visit the dealerships and test drive, check the condition of the cars and negotiate. Of course, I'd have no problem flying out to pay for the car and pick it up for the roadtrip home, hehe. :wigglesmiley: I'm thinking of offering some sort of incentive for a fellow forum member to perform the due diligence for me. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help too as well, Danlexani and vollrathian! Glad I didn't act on impulse and just buy the car yesterday. I'd feel like such a fool today. Hehe.

- JLFung
keep in mind no matter what the dealer says about how rare the car is, it is still a buyers market out there. most dealers are desperate to sell cars, and if you are patient enough you will get a good deal.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Seems like you want to pay 5k+ for a mugen so you don't spend 1500 on Bolt ons for a reg Si...

Do some quick math and figure out whether its prudent

·
Registered
393 Posts
I bought my Mugen with 16k miles for roughly around 18k...so No, you are getting screwed with all those problems, and for 23k? HAHA Buy a normal Si.

Now that I see you didn't buy the car, good choice. Be patient and you will come across a great deal.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I'm glad you posted this experience for everyone to learn what to look for. I'm shocked about the rust, poor repainting, and cigarette burns visible on a car being sold for $22k.

Even if everything was perfect, I was going to caution against getting it because of the likelihood of thieves going after your parts. But I guess we already see that in the showroom.

Good choice in passing on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seems like you want to pay 5k+ for a mugen so you don't spend 1500 on Bolt ons for a reg Si...

Do some quick math and figure out whether its prudent
Thanks, booYA. =) Yep, you're right - at this point, I think I've become so discouraged searching for a suitable regular SI that I've turned to looking at the Mugen, which is surprisingly easier to find. I realize that I risk paying for lesser value with the Mugen, but I've had so much difficulty in finding another SI that I'd be happy with paying a premium on the Mugen. Girl math, I suppose. (For shame, I'm an accountant with a Masters degree as well - d'oh!) And while I would spend less to mod the SI to what I want, that means more work shopping and installing, which I wouldn't mind in the fugure, I'm sure, but for now, I'm burning out. =P Not to say I wouldn't still consider the non-Mugen SI.

As for everyone who has offered their opinions and encouragement, thank you! I'm still humbled as my first dealership experience showed how naive first-time car buyers can be. I thought I was so smart talking down that salesman from almost $23k to $20k! So grateful I turned that down!

I will continue my search though! If anyone comes across a 2009 or 2010 Civic SI Sedan in Black on the West Coast, I'd appreciate the heads up. :wigglesmiley: For now, I'm going to keep checking around for a Mugen that might turn out to be a good deal. I may be back for more advice.

Thank you thank you! :wavey:
- JLFung

1 - 20 of 43 Posts