8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Big thanks for the working one, I am giving that out a try this weekend. Will post my results too.

I have a 2008 Honda Civic EX with a vibration that started around 50,000 miles. It started as a minor vibration on cold mornings that went away so I didn't think much of it. Then it began to happen when I let off the gas (no braking, just coasting). At first I thought it was the engine, but during acceleration it was fine, no drop in mileage, no codes, etc. Then I suspected the transmission, but it shifts fine.

I let this go over the past 20K miles lol, but now it has gotten to be bone jarring. Everything rattles!

I did a little bit of searching since I can't take it anymore and I saw these pictures on the internet concerning the passenger side engine mount. My mount was sitting on the stop - I couldn't even slide a business card under it!

Correct spacing:

THE CHEAP FIX

However, my original engine mount looked ok (no tears or damage to the rubber parts), so it seemed to be a huge waste of money to replace the entire part in addition to the labor. The design flaw was either an error in the material used or the length of the "bumpstop" that did not allow for the compression of the mount over time.

Here is the location of the bushing:

What I decided to do was add a washer approximately 4mm in thickness between the engine bracket and the rubber mount.

Here is a picture with the dogbone removed (3 bolts):

Here is the bolt that connects the engine bracket to the engine mount - plenty of thread to add a washer:

Here is a picture with the bolt removed:

I did this at work, so I didn't have a floor jack. Instead I used a small crowbar to lift the engine bracket and slide in the washer. I slid in the washer, inserted the bolt through the washer and tightened it. I then re-installed the dogbone (3 bolts).

I double checked the spacing under the bump stop and there was plenty of clearance! Final check - start car...NO vibration!

Time for fix <30 minutes, cost $zero since washer was from the parts bin at work :) Probably cost 25 cents at Home Depot...

We will see how well this works in the long run, but I am pretty happy since I saved over $100 for a new mount and finished the job in less than a half hour. I imagine this could work for any 8th gen 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Honda civic with the same issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are Geniu Sir ....
I have a 2008 Honda Civic EX with a vibration that started around 50,000 miles. It started as a minor vibration on cold mornings that went away so I didn't think much of it. Then it began to happen when I let off the gas (no braking, just coasting). At first I thought it was the engine, but during acceleration it was fine, no drop in mileage, no codes, etc. Then I suspected the transmission, but it shifts fine.

I let this go over the past 20K miles lol, but now it has gotten to be bone jarring. Everything rattles!

I did a little bit of searching since I can't take it anymore and I saw these pictures on the internet concerning the passenger side engine mount. My mount was sitting on the stop - I couldn't even slide a business card under it!

Correct spacing:

THE CHEAP FIX

However, my original engine mount looked ok (no tears or damage to the rubber parts), so it seemed to be a huge waste of money to replace the entire part in addition to the labor. The design flaw was either an error in the material used or the length of the "bumpstop" that did not allow for the compression of the mount over time.

Here is the location of the bushing:

What I decided to do was add a washer approximately 4mm in thickness between the engine bracket and the rubber mount.

Here is a picture with the dogbone removed (3 bolts):

Here is the bolt that connects the engine bracket to the engine mount - plenty of thread to add a washer:

Here is a picture with the bolt removed:

I did this at work, so I didn't have a floor jack. Instead I used a small crowbar to lift the engine bracket and slide in the washer. I slid in the washer, inserted the bolt through the washer and tightened it. I then re-installed the dogbone (3 bolts).

I double checked the spacing under the bump stop and there was plenty of clearance! Final check - start car...NO vibration!

Time for fix <30 minutes, cost $zero since washer was from the parts bin at work :) Probably cost 25 cents at Home Depot...

We will see how well this works in the long run, but I am pretty happy since I saved over $100 for a new mount and finished the job in less than a half hour. I imagine this could work for any 8th gen 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Honda civic with the same issue.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts