8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's the TSB for replacing the mount. Instructions and all. Useful for pzoom fix.

Below is the TSB regarding testing and replacing the passenger upper motor mount.

I used 2 M12 washers, as I wasn't sure if the larger ones would interfere with the motor mount alignment pin.

As you raise the engine up, it will move towards the passenger compartment slightly. I aligned the washers with the motor mount, not the engine bracket, then slowly lowered the engine until there was only a very small gap between the washers and the engine bracket. Then, I was able to pull the engine and push the mount so they were aligned.

If you use smaller washers, be sure and push down on the bolt with the socket and ratchet, in order to make sure the washers move into position, and you can catch the thread of the bolt in the engine mount.

Good advice from above to glue the two washers together, making sure they are accurately aligned!

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/joelamanna/2008-01-30_181316_civic_motor_mount.pdf

·
Registered
1 Posts
OP - do you have links to the original photos? I can't see anything on post.
I'm traveling without tools and this is an awesome fix to the motor mount issue - if you could contact me via the forum or my email I would be eternally grateful!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
OP - do you have links to the original photos? I can't see anything on post.
I'm traveling without tools and this is an awesome fix to the motor mount issue - if you could contact me via the forum or my email I would be eternally grateful!!
i have the same issue.can"t see the pics so can can you tell me which mount is it "location"
thanks
i would really appreciate some pics on this too, my car vibrates on cold idle, reverse and when i take my foot off the gas
View his page and click the album in the lower right corner... they are all there :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the second time I did this. The first time I inserted 2 washers and it started to vibrate again 2 years later. Now I am adding another 2 washers.

Since the original pictures are no longer available, here is my version of the steps and pictures.

The first picture was taken after removing the 3 bolts and the dog bone.

after removing the bolt that connects the engine bracket to the engine mount, this is how I used a pry bar to lift up the engine and inserted some kind of spacer (a pliers in my case) to hold the engine while inserting the washers.

I used hot glue to stick the 4 washers together to make it easier to slide in place. Then put all the bolts back in place and it should be good to go.

Hope someone will find this useful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome post! 23 cents and it fixed two issues. Not only was my engine vibrating but there was clunking when really cold that I had attributed to worn out struts. Thankfully I waited to see how the washer trick worked and it ended up fixing both problems.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mechanic could not figure out where the vibration was coming from . He suggested that the issue was probably the belt tensioner. Replacement cost $400. He wasn't positive so I didn't authorize the repairs.Instead I found this post and took the car to a mechanic buddy who did this fix in 15 min. Problem solved, vibration gone. Initially I thought it was a motor mount so I priced one out and it was $300 ( and that was not even OEM ). So glad to find this posr-who knows how much I could have spent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the initial mechanic checked all the motor and transmission mounts and they all appeared to be fine. I guess he just wasn't aware of what a common problem this is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought my civic few years ago, vibration at idle checked motor mount learned to live with vibration. Read this post took about a half hour "oh my god" i cant even tell the motor is running thank you thank you thank you

21 - 40 of 42 Posts