8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2008 Honda Civic EX with a vibration that started around 50,000 miles. It started as a minor vibration on cold mornings that went away so I didn't think much of it. Then it began to happen when I let off the gas (no braking, just coasting). At first I thought it was the engine, but during acceleration it was fine, no drop in mileage, no codes, etc. Then I suspected the transmission, but it shifts fine.

I let this go over the past 20K miles lol, but now it has gotten to be bone jarring. Everything rattles!

I did a little bit of searching since I can't take it anymore and I saw these pictures on the internet concerning the passenger side engine mount. My mount was sitting on the stop - I couldn't even slide a business card under it!

Correct spacing:

THE CHEAP FIX

However, my original engine mount looked ok (no tears or damage to the rubber parts), so it seemed to be a huge waste of money to replace the entire part in addition to the labor. The design flaw was either an error in the material used or the length of the "bumpstop" that did not allow for the compression of the mount over time.

Here is the location of the bushing:

What I decided to do was add a washer approximately 4mm in thickness between the engine bracket and the rubber mount.

Here is a picture with the dogbone removed (3 bolts):

Here is the bolt that connects the engine bracket to the engine mount - plenty of thread to add a washer:

Here is a picture with the bolt removed:

I did this at work, so I didn't have a floor jack. Instead I used a small crowbar to lift the engine bracket and slide in the washer. I slid in the washer, inserted the bolt through the washer and tightened it. I then re-installed the dogbone (3 bolts).

I double checked the spacing under the bump stop and there was plenty of clearance! Final check - start car...NO vibration!

Time for fix <30 minutes, cost $zero since washer was from the parts bin at work :) Probably cost 25 cents at Home Depot...

We will see how well this works in the long run, but I am pretty happy since I saved over $100 for a new mount and finished the job in less than a half hour. I imagine this could work for any 8th gen 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Honda civic with the same issue.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've been reading about the motor mount issue and went to check mine. I still have a little gap but it does rough idle sometimes. I'd like an update on this as well as I just ordered some boomba motor mounts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a year old Beck/Arnley mount that replaced a broken OEM. Lately noticed a slight vibration under throttle especially around 50mph and 75mph, as well as slightly rougher idle. The gap pictured above was nearly gone, and like yours, my mount was not cracked, just sagged. I got a couple of big washers as you suggested to restore the gap, and also found that the bolt that goes down through the top of the mount was very loose (maybe worked loose b/c of the sagging?) Couldnt see this until I moved the dogbone.

Went for test drive, vibrations gone. Thanks for the tip about the washers! Mind the Gap and Chive On!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have a year old Beck/Arnley mount that replaced a broken OEM. Lately noticed a slight vibration under throttle especially around 50mph and 75mph, as well as slightly rougher idle. The gap pictured above was nearly gone, and like yours, my mount was not cracked, just sagged. I got a couple of big washers as you suggested to restore the gap, and also found that the bolt that goes down through the top of the mount was very loose (maybe worked loose b/c of the sagging?) Couldnt see this until I moved the dogbone.

Went for test drive, vibrations gone. Thanks for the tip about the washers! Mind the Gap and Chive On!
Good to hear. I'll try this as soon as possible!

What's the washer's inside diameter?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I finally got around to do this today since my cousin was over and he's way more mechanically inclined than me. The only real problem we had was that we weren't able to slide the washer onto the rubber mounting since the mounting piece had a metal bump that got in the way. We then grinded the bump smooth and problem solved. It took us a while to figure this out. I took it for a quick spin and the vibrations are now gone and it's smooth on reverse once again. Hopefully it will hold up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
56 Posts
Had the same problem recently, my engine was completely broken in half fluid leaking out and everything, bought the engine mount at the dealer, then went straight to my local mechanic to install for about$80. the mount was about 230 after tax. Be sure to price match at the dealer. it retails for $320. good luck

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just got done doing this washer trick..

I used 7/16" washers.. used 2 of them. However, I'd suggest using 1/2" as locating the bolt in the hole will be easier with a looser washer instead.

The "metal bump" LFS noted above is purposeful. It is a locating pin for the mount to sit in. I wouldn't remove it. I actually lifted the motor enough to put the washers in from the back and rested them against the pin so they didn't move much.

Anyway.. it worked perfectly..took all of 20 minutes or so.

Will see how long this works, but should work rather well.

Thanks pzoom!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
pumped like a bounce house

pzoom,
thank you so much. I bought my 2008 one week ago 53k miles. I didn't vibrations till day 2 and noticed mirror shaking etc. So depressed. your post with pictures diagnosed my problem exactly.
This is my. first Honda n my hope has returned. You explained It well enoughthateven I can do this mod n save allot of $$ thanks for sharing. I'm doing it in 2 days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
it worked perfectly for me, I used two 1/2" washers. if you use two, I recommend two drops of " steel tight" or bond the two washers together, makes lining everything up much easier. used floor jack...took me 35 min because of liningup washers. my bone jarring vibrations are completely gone. ty again..im so happy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mount

2007 civic cupe lx . I just bought it 100 k miles I have some crezzzzzy vibration. When I starts the car it start vibration when I drive it's still vibration while driving at any speed when I put the gear from drive to N (nuturle) it stop vibration , when I put back to drive wile driving it start again
. I already changed the bottom engine mount didn't stop and buy from ebay for 27 $. I paid labor $60. Still vibratin I changed today transmission mount my self with floor jack still vibration , I don't know what to do now. My whole car vibrate creezzzy ..

Tomorrow I will try to add washer on the bottom engine mount will see .
[email protected]
Any advice .?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes yes yes I did it
i simply go to lows and buy 1/2 washers place 2 of them each is thick like 25 cent coin may b little thicker.
Is smooth drive with no vibration
I placed the washer passinger side upper mount look like dog bone open that dog bone put it on side
Then under neith their is another mount look like black rubber like apple, on top their is a small rubber sitting in the middle of apple look like strawberry.
I open the screw with is holding the small rubber (strawberry)
Placed two washer is the middle of rubber (strawberry ) and the frame , and then tight the screw,
putting two washer in between the strebbery make the strawberries little longer which keep the engine up and apple down.
lol
I took me 45 min , I was doing slow cuz I'm not a Machanic
I used floor jack to hold the engine underneath, with a wood in the middle

that's it
I hope it explain well with fruits
sorry I'm tipping on my mobile , misspelled

1 - 20 of 42 Posts