8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my name's Ashley. I really enjoy seeing everyone's posts. I've been watching and waiting for the third gear grinding and rev hang issues to be resolved before buying an SI. I just saw a 2008 review and sure enough they had the same issues! Everyone here seems to love their SI's. Is it worth getting one or is the third gear and rev hang issue something that is going to drive me crazy?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
If you know it's going to drive you crazy...no. That said, I got used to the slight DBW delay (and I have it worse, since mine is an 06) and third gear I do not really have a problem with. I can "feel" when it's not going to go in all the way, and just put it back into neutral and put it back into 3rd. Rarely happens -- and I find that making "confident" shifts stops it from happening. Not forceful, but not going so slowly either.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm going to wait for the 09s since I'm betting it will be the MMC model year. Maybe it'll get fixed then along with some nice little updates.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you know it's going to drive you crazy...no. That said, I got used to the slight DBW delay (and I have it worse, since mine is an 06) and third gear I do not really have a problem with. I can "feel" when it's not going to go in all the way, and just put it back into neutral and put it back into 3rd. Rarely happens -- and I find that making "confident" shifts stops it from happening. Not forceful, but not going so slowly either.
I agree. I have a late 2007 model. It's an absolute hoot to drive. Just get the short shifter from TMW, Corsport or Comptech (I have this) and it really helps relieve the issue of 3rd gear from my experience anyway. You will eventually learn the feel of 3rd gear. It took me about one month to learn to drive it better. Somehow I kinda use the clutch more motorcycle like and not dumping the clutch at every shift unlike the way I drove my WRX. This is my 2nd Si (had the 2000 model) and the car is just well made, period.

·
Premium Member
98,627 Posts
The 3rd gear grind is easy to fix. Just switch the tranny fluid to something better. I have an 06 and the rev hang doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Welcome. I have an 08 and knock on wood no 3rd gear anything yet. And i don't know what the rev hanging is haha but my car has been great so far.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Welcome Ashley. I have an '07 FA5-Sedan Si, and have had zero transmission problems. Zilch. Nada. Nichts. As for the rev hang, there is a small amount, but nothing that really bothers me. I understand it was worse for the '06 FG2 owners, but it has been lessened for the '07 and '08 models.

Hopefully you will be joining us as a fellow owner. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Welcome, the Si is an awesome car by far!
get it you wont be disspointed.
those problems are very minimal.

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
get the car... ppl are exaggerating about the 3rd gear/DBW hang... this car is easier to drive than other cars w/o DBW...

what color do u want to get??

·
Banned
18,265 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an 08 Si Sedan. I havent had any 3rd gear problems so far, at 3200 miles. As far as the rev hang, I havent noticed anything or maybe Im just used to the way the car drives, as it is my first manual trans.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the great feedback! Glad to hear those issues aren't a big deal. I'm thinking silver for color. Looks good, easy to keep clean. One more question. My knee rests right on the handbrake in the SI's I've sat in. Just get used to it or do some people readjust the brake lever itself or what?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Welcome! Great car and you will love it. I've had mine for a month and finally I'm used to driving it. Just give it time and you will learn when the perfect times are to shift and everything. It's a great car, good quality (of course cuz its a honda) and totally worth it. Good luck and i hope you buy an Si!!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have an 08 Si Sedan, no 3rd gear problem, but the rev hang problem can be annoying if you're crawling in traffic especially in 2nd gear. The thing that annoys me a bit more from rev hang is the shift from 1st to 2nd, unless I let go of the gas 1s ahead before I clutch in and shift to second, I'll never get a smooth shift. Which usually isn't a problem, but I always feel like I'm holding traffic back. I wonder when are they planning to fix this, JDM Civic Type-R doesn't have any rev hang issue despite having the DBW system.

Other than that, it's a great car to drive.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
The grind doesn't really bother me...it's a real good car for the price range. How much do you want to spend on a car btw?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an 08 Si Sedan, no 3rd gear problem, but the rev hang problem can be annoying if you're crawling in traffic especially in 2nd gear. The thing that annoys me a bit more from rev hang is the shift from 1st to 2nd, unless I let go of the gas 1s ahead before I clutch in and shift to second, I'll never get a smooth shift. Which usually isn't a problem, but I always feel like I'm holding traffic back. I wonder when are they planning to fix this, JDM Civic Type-R doesn't have any rev hang issue despite having the DBW system.

Other than that, it's a great car to drive.
I notice the exact same thing. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is a little rough. I usually have to let out the clutch alot slower to get a smooth shift, and if the engine is cold, its even worse.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
I notice the exact same thing. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is a little rough. I usually have to let out the clutch alot slower to get a smooth shift, and if the engine is cold, its even worse.
Why is that?

I also feel like I'm holding traffic back at times...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts