8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Civic SI
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The 5w-30 Amsoil Synchromesh did quite a number for me. The shifts were smooth and only got better during the first week. Just upgraded to the EM1 CMC and it’s a different breed of civic now. Also, I’ll be installing the Maxpeedingrods adjustable coilovers as well shortly. Best of luck to you
Awesome to hear since I do have 6 bottles on the shelf haha. The royal purple has definitely been good so far. I don't see a lot of information on people using Royal Purple MTF in our cars so it was a good test and works really good. Excited to see how the Amsoil works!

What do you mean by different breed? I have not ordered mine yet but you may push me to order sooner than later haha!

Can't wait to see how the Maxpeedingrods coilovers perform. I did not want to blow the bank since I spent a lot on the Koni/Tein upgrades. Looking over my posts, it's funny how plans change for cars in such a short time. But here's what is on the list for the future.

• Install Slider Mechanism to fix armrest.
  • Install Maxpeedingrods Coilovers (Should be here this week or next)
  • Install LED bulbs on all exterior and interior lighting (Should be here within the next 2-3 weeks)
  • Motor oil change with Amsoil and Amsoil MTF Change
Things on the horizon:

Quick questions for the community - Does anyone have experience with Energy Suspension full bushing kit or any of the bushings? I want my car to feel tight and I feel like bushings would help. Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The shift delay almost disappears. The OEM cmc has this dorito shaped delay valve that essentially slows down the clutch engagement/disengagement which just doesn’t allow you to actually drive the car. So After some lockout issues above 6k rpm, I ended up going with Hybrid Racing’s kit. It includes a new soft line, the CMC and the CSC. Getting the CMC out was a bit of a hassle; but worth it in the end. I swapped the rod that connects the pedal to the CMC. So I had the EM1 CMC with the 8th gen rod, and bracket that hooks to the pedal. After bleeding the system, and adjusting the clutch, I was on the road shifting into any gear at any rpm as fast as I wanted to. I absolutely recommend this upgrade; especially if you’re having some lockout problems.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Civic SI
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The shift delay almost disappears. The OEM cmc has this dorito shaped delay valve that essentially slows down the clutch engagement/disengagement which just doesn’t allow you to actually drive the car. So After some lockout issues above 6k rpm, I ended up going with Hybrid Racing’s kit. It includes a new soft line, the CMC and the CSC. Getting the CMC out was a bit of a hassle; but worth it in the end. I swapped the rod that connects the pedal to the CMC. So I had the EM1 CMC with the 8th gen rod, and bracket that hooks to the pedal. After bleeding the system, and adjusting the clutch, I was on the road shifting into any gear at any rpm as fast as I wanted to. I absolutely recommend this upgrade; especially if you’re having some lockout problems.
Sick, thanks for explaining and the breakdown. I'm sold! Will be getting this sooner than later and hopefully it feels closer to how my Integra shifts!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Civic SI
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hey everyone, back with another update.

I got the Maxpeedingrods Coilovers and TPMS sensors in this week. Did not get a chance to install them just yet as I was very busy the past week and weekend with work and went on a nice 3 day camping trip in Kanaio. It was a nice off-road trail down the mountain to the beach side and surprisingly, my 4runner did very good considering the 4WD is not working right now. I ordered the actuator yesterday to fix the 4WD in the 4Runner, so stoked about that.

Onto the first impressions on the Maxpeedingrod Coilovers.

Before we start I want to make clear that I have not installed these on my car yet. These are just my first impressions. I got the package when I came home from camping and was super stoked to check it out. When I first opened it, I was surprised at how good they look. Construction feels solid and everything looks really good. I was also blown away by the fact that I got red coilovers! On their website, the coilovers with adjustable dampening only came in gold. I took a swing in the dark and asked if I could get it in red and looks like they came through!

Overall, I am stoked to install these on my car and test out how they ride. When I do install them, I'll be making a video testing them out on some twisty roads!

Here's my prediction. I've watched a lot of the review videos while waiting to receive these and I think Maxpeedingrods took all that feedback they got and made improvements to their coilovers. The one change I noticed is that the review videos always talk about the rubber spring isolator going bad quickly causing knocks and noises from the spring moving. These now have metal spring isolators to hopefully resolve that issue. Anyway, I think they improved the product but we will see once installed.

Here's some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Honda Civic SI
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So tonight I decided to fix the armrest in my car as the latch was broken and it would not stay closed. Finally the armrest will stay closed!

While I was in my car my cat jumped up on the hood and I could hear her claws on the paint. I immediately jumped out in a panic and took her off and yelled at her.

I get back to work and the next thing I see is my cat swifter, jumping back up onto the hood and this time you could really hear her claws scratch the paint. I panic again but this time as I got out I hit my door on my garage wall. So now there are a few small scuffs on the edge of the door and cat scratch marks on my hood. Let me know if you know how to remove these scratches please!

If anyone is interested in how to disassemble the armrest, here's the video I followed:

·
Registered
133 Posts
@OGbroski

I recommend if you plan on keeping the Si, to flush your transmission fluid again and go with OEM MTF, or AMSoil MTF (much higher quality lubricant product proven in our transmissions, don't settle) Fluids are a huge thing for transmission in this gen. Probably the only pain to deal with in terms of keep fresh lubrication so shifting is as pristine as possible. - Thanks for the tip. I was thinking the same thing and since I wanted to fully change out all the oil I was planning on changing it again 1-2 more times. I'm probably going to stick with Honda OEM MTF and see how it feels. Right now the royal purple is REALLY SMOOTH though and I am really impressed so far.

Next, K-tuned clutch master/slave cylinder combo with a braided line is the best upgrade for the SI, period. You can adjust your OEM clutch master cylinder if you have grinding/ engagement issues later. but you should be fine with your current upgrades, and staying ontop of 10-15k transmission flushes. They are EASY as hell. - I have been on the fence of what to purchase next and this will probably be it. Thanks!

Next thing I can recommend, is keep your exhaust 100% OEM if you want a quality ride, torque, lack of vibrations and ghetto noises. Changing from OEM = a fart can of problems, vibrations, and its really hard to get a perfect sound without swapping and spending tons of money figuring out your tone. I've seen almost every SI owner go through this. Learn from their mistakes, and enjoy your tone! - Thanks. When I purchased the car it had a megan racing axle back. If it is still available, I would get the Mugen Axle Back off of Facebook and that way the entire exhaust is somewhat more stock. I trust Mugen vs Megan Racing.

Recommend upgrade path if you care to read for longevity, and ride quality with some performance in mind:
  • Shocks and springs (replace top hats with KYB shock mounts as these guy bad FAST and make the most front end noise) - I have the Koni Orange and Tein Drop Springs. What do you recommend?
  • 4-wheel alignment - This is definitely on the list once I change out my lower control arms.
  • Keep OEM Rims as they are well balanced and can take some serious hits. Upgrade tires only Contential and Michelin make KILLER tires 215-225 width works wonders.. - I will be keeping my OEM wheels but will be getting another set as well. This is in the future though.
  • Rebuild front + rear caliper sliders with new pads + rotors nice and properly lubed. - Good tip as I hear slight noises when braking. It just started.
  • Flash pro (unlocked) - I am trying to stay away from this but I think it is inevitable and I just need to bite the bullet and get one.
  • OEM intake box with K&N filter - I opted out of the K&N filter after seeing tests on how well it filters the air. It definitely gets more air vs. an OEM filter but the actual filtration properties were horrible. I'll be sticking with OEM for sure.
  • Check belts, bearings, tensioner pulley. Replace with OEM honda or gates products. Both offer quality USA made or Japanese bearings/products - Thanks for the tip. I'll have that checked out. Do you have any experience with after market pulleys to free up more power or just stick to OEM?
Pro-tip for gauge faces that are scratched, take a tiny bit of car wax, and polish the face with clean micro-fiber towel. - Thanks! I also have a product made for plastic. I think Plastx or something. I'll try that, thanks! Know of anything to protect it with?

Fello 8th gen si (sedan) owner! GL and great looking car. These are extremely sought after generations, don't give this up man. This is the new GS-R/ EM1 that everyone will want and will end up all getting destroyed, so if you love this platform, keep it. Save for a REAL power upgrade later on like a KW supercharge kit, or a used/new CTE supercharger. Bolt-ons do make power, but 15-20hp after a tune and several thousands for a bunch of sound isn't the most ideal. In stock form, this cars perform well, and can compete with cars in slightly higher bracket. - Thanks! This confirms my exact thoughts for the future of this platform and I do agree with you there. A 2000 black Integra Type R and Yellow 2001 Integra Type R popped up at our local dealership here. I am VERY VERY tempted to get the black one. All original with less than 80,000 miles. Leather interior. It's a beauty. But at $43,000, I decided to keep the SI. ;)
Yo I almost bought a ticket from Oahu when I saw that phoenix yellow ad. I also have a si that I bought recently

·
Registered
2008 Honda Civic SI
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yo I almost bought a ticket from Oahu when I saw that phoenix yellow ad. I also have a si that I bought recently
Of course it popped up after I got my si. I was looking for an integra or rsx for months
Haha, I believe it's still available! They sold the black one already but last I checked, the yellow Integra was still for sale. It seems they had it for a little while. If you notice their facebook ad get over 30 days old and it's still has not sold they will definitely be a little flexible on the price.

What year is your SI and color? Got any mods done to it and future plans? Pics?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Civic SI
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Back with another update on the build.

First, coilovers are still not installed. Had to put the installation on hold as I had to get a replacement bolt for the control arm. The good news is that I put in a pretty big order of some parts that I am stoked to get.

1. Got the Powerstop Z23 Brake kit with drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic/carbon fiber brake pads. My brakes are needing to be replaced so this will be a good upgrade.

2. Energy Suspension Master Bushing Kit - Got the black color so don't have to worry about keeping the bushing lubed. I am super stoked on this as I always wanted to upgrade my bushings on my cars.

3. DOHC stickers - Picked up the Honda DOHC stickers to replace the red SOHC stickers currently on the car. This is a must right now. I can't stand the SOHC lol.

4. Paint Protect Vinyl and install tools - Got clear vinyl so I can protect my paint and finally install my Mud Guards.

Stoked to get all these parts. The car will really come together and the driving experience should improve drastically with new brakes, new coilovers, and once all the bushings get installed on the car.

There's 2 other things on the horizon that I will be ordering.

1. Type R Style Front Lip - Coming from owning 6th Gen Civics and Integras, I always loved the look of the Type R Style front lips. I did not think they made it for our cars but found a supplier in Canada and will be getting that soon. My goal is to install it and keep it with the natural urethane color to match the mudguards. If I don't like the look, I'll be paint matching the front lip.

2. Hondata - Came across this video today and totally sold me on Hondata.
- After hearing so many people say that is the first thing they got makes me prioritize it and push it to the front of the mod list. Stoked to get this as well!

Will update more once I get the parts in and installed! Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice car just needs some un-ricing like you said blacking out everything the previous owner made red would be cool. Man I want to do the same things to my bushings and get a skunk 2 shoft shifting assemlby. I dropped money on skunk 2 springs first without thinking about fixing my notchy gears.
Try looking at the clutch pedal. There are 2 spot welds holding most of it together and the metal cracks around the welds. Your clutch might not be fully depressing the throwout bearing if the pedal is moving. Im buying the acuity shifter bushing instead of a short throw. Otherwise the car is a really nice stock example, except the emblems!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Civic SI
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Try looking at the clutch pedal. There are 2 spot welds holding most of it together and the metal cracks around the welds. Your clutch might not be fully depressing the throwout bearing if the pedal is moving. Im buying the acuity shifter bushing instead of a short throw. Otherwise the car is a really nice stock example, except the emblems!
Thanks for the tip. I'll be taking a look right after this. I actually don't have any shifting issues anymore. Just needed to change out the transmission fluid and absolutely no issues at all anymore. Used Royal Purple but will be doing another change when I change the oil soon.

When I was looking to buy a new car and test drove a bunch of different civics and rsxs with aftermarket shifter assemblys. In my opinion the setup I have on my car is better than those cars felt. The shifter base and cable bushings helped give a solid feel to this shifts and the biggest change is the Acuity POCO shift knob. It lowered the stock shifter so there is less leverage giving the shifter a solid feel to it. A stiffer feel all around would be the best way to describe it. I may change out the springs as well but it feels so good right now. Love this setup!

Thanks! I just got in the emblem tape so I will be moving the SI badge to the correct location. Also the correct stock dohc stickers will be coming in soon so that issue will soon be fixed. I also just got my paint protectiin vinyl so I'll be installing the mudguards soon as well.

Front brakes came in. Just waiting on the rears and lots of stuff waiting to be installed. Very excited!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts