8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Toronto. Bought the car last Saturday (paid cash). Just reading some horror stories about gear issues, shifting, ect. Wanted to know first hand from any Si owners what to watch out for, Break in period, anything that you could mention, thats all

Thanks

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Wait about 5000 miles for your first oil change, always put the best gas possible in your sia nd i personally waited 1000 miles before hitting vtec. Some people will tell you to stomp on vtec right away and some peeps wait like i did. personally its the most frustrating thing in the world to be driving with a k series engine and not being able to go past 6k rpm... you'll love the car, third gear grind is way overrated. Dont worry about it. Buckle up or the seatbelt warning will make you insane.. thats about it

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okok, thanks for the info, my only question is a friend of mine has an older model Honda Prelude SR-V and he said too use the silver(middle) type gas. The reasons he gave is because if you start using gold(highest) you cant go down to silver(middle) without feeling major loss. Now another friend of mine who has an Acura RSX-type-s said gold(highest) all the way.

So At the end of the day i dunno which to go silver(middle) or gold(highest)?

gas prices are ****** aswell

· Registered
2,688 Posts
The Si's are only built in Canada. There are many, many threads regarding the 3rd gear issue. I have had 2 Si's myself and I don't have a problem with either of them. The US is a far bigger market then Canada, so the majority of complaints will come from them. I don't know very many locals complaining of the problem. I switched my tranny fluid to Amsoil synthetic just for some extra protection and mine perfect. Use 91 octane, just like the owner's manual recommends.

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
91 octane meaning Gold(highest)? I thought that Honda has manufacturing plants in the US, and the gear issues was to certain VIN numbers Or it could just be people not taking care of the car's and amature shifting

· Registered
544 Posts
First of all, congrats on your purchase!

-91 octane is required by Honda, not recommended
-I personally experience the 3rd gear grind occasionally and it does pop out sometimes... I think it's how you shift as well as the actual gear having a little problem (I haven't had an oil change yet, so dunno about the whole Amsoil thing)
-even if it doesn't grind, the 3rd gear is hard to go in smoothly, you're just going to have to practice and get used to shifting into that gear specifically

Lastly, enjoy =D

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
First of all, congrats on your purchase!

-91 octane is required by Honda, not recommended
-I personally experience the 3rd gear grind occasionally and it does pop out sometimes... I think it's how you shift as well as the actual gear having a little problem (I haven't had an oil change yet, so dunno about the whole Amsoil thing)
-even if it doesn't grind, the 3rd gear is hard to go in smoothly, you're just going to have to practice and get used to shifting into that gear specifically

Lastly, enjoy =D
Thanks

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.