8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the civic bug bite me again after an extended absence from this forum. I got into corvettes for the last few years, however, mine slowly became an endless money pit. So, my wife forced me to sell it so she could remodel a large portion of our home. I happened to save $9,000 from that transaction, so I decided to resurect my retired SI. A few years earlier, I took my 2008 SI out of commission because I had zero time to drive it and I have other cars to drive daily. I fogged the cylinders and put it up on blocks. I purchased it new and have been the sole owner, primarily using it to get to and from work. Yeah, I did all the basic bolt on's and put a small shot of nitrous on it to make it funner to drive, but I still have only managed to put 27,000 miles on the odometer in the 12 years I've owned it. It has to be the lowest mileage, babied, 8th gen on here (let me know if I'm wrong).
When I opened the storage shed, the car cover was filthy. But to my surprise, it was extremely clean underneath. I charged the battery, aired up the tires, changed the oil, checked all the fluid levels, and fired it up. When driving it, I realized that I had completely forgotten how fun it is to drive. Not many cars allow you to rev them to 8,600 rpm! Once again, I was all in. I proceeded to research new mod's that were now available for it and came across the Kraftwerks kit. I never liked the CT kit, and was considering a turbo. But the Kraftwerks seemed like the best of both worlds, so I took the plunge. This was back before Vit Viper retired from his e-tuning business so I was lucky enough to get one of his last tunes while purchasing the kit from him. It took 28 data log's, but it drives smoother than stock and is now making clean, dependable power. He was truly a pleasure to work with and taught me a lot about these cars. Anyway, while I was waiting for the kit to arrive, I did a full color sand and buff on the car and my friend painted the front bumper lip, grill, and lower exhaust area on the rear bumper dark grey to match the wheels and air charge tube on the supercharger. I also added HFP splash guards and front lip. I was sad about having to ditch my fog lights for the intercooler to fit, but I really don't miss them. The entire engine bay and undercarriage were thoroughly deatiled to the level of showroom new, mostly because I had the time and basically said "why not"? Then I swapped out the wheels and tires.........again, while upgrading the brake rotors to Baer. For the suspension, I had already upgraded the sway bars, added Skunk 2 rear control arms, and installed an Eibach pro kit when I first purchased the car. So I just added strut tower and center chassis braces to stiffen it up a little more. Speaking of stiffy, I also threw in an Ingalls Stiffy torque damper and Hasport rear solid motor mount so the Skunk 2 Alpha header wouldn't hit the floor pan. Out back, I went aggressive with the Megapower RR exhaust. Yeah, it's loud, but I like it. It's almost louder than my Z06 was with long tubes, orx, and Billy Boat bullets. To accent the Kraftwerks kit, I went with a Deatchwerks DW65 fuel pump and upgraded ID1000 injectors. The Grahms units that came with the kit felt sketchy, and Vit agreed. He said the ID's were easier to tune and get the best drivability, a win win for both of us. Now I was on track to turning my retired daily driver into a really fun toy.
After completing all of the above, and finishing the last data log, I took it out and hammered it from 1st through 5th gear. Talk about ZERO traction! I was completely taken back by the smooth, linear power all the way up tp 8,500rpm! It felt very similar to my old procharged 5.0 foxbody I had back in the late 90's (except a little slower 536whp vs 381whp). When I dynoed it it put down 381whp. and 242 lb ft. I was really surprised at the numbers, especially at 1,800ft elevation. I have a feeling I will keep this car for quite a while, especially since it's the only car I've purchased brand new. Plus I have done every mod myself except the tune and paint touches. It's not nearly as fast as other cars I have owned, but it's way funner to drive. It handles kind of like a go cart. I'm having fun screwing with all the stock v8 powered car's in the area, and usually beat them from a roll (except those damn 2018 10 speed mustangs, high 11's stock?). I took it to the track only once (due to the stock clutch) and ran a best of 12.27 at 118mph. with ton's of tire spin. Everyone was telling me that with that mph, and some slicks, it may break into the 11's. But I didn't build it to race from a dig, plus, I want to milk the clutch for as long as possible because changing them is a *****. Roll races are just easier on drivetrain parts. I have included some pic's so everyone can see how it turned out. If you want to see some before pic's, just check out my old photo album. This is a truly low mileage, like new car and I'm proud to own it. This project has been completed for 2 years now. I'm just now getting around to sharing it with everyone because life has been keeping me very busy. Thanks for viewing!
Thanks!
IMG_20171001_172453953.jpg
IMG_20191224_163320331_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191224_163448600_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191224_163344131_HDR(1).jpg
DSC07299.JPG
DSC07280.JPG
DSC07281.JPG

·
Registered
492 Posts
Nice little story to the history of the car. You certainly have the lowest mileage I've seen so far. My 06 Si has 168,000kms which is almost considered low these days.

I've really been contemplating building an N/A set up for daily driving or Kraftwerks so it was nice to hear your experience with everything.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Just started looking back on this forum. Seems like more and more ppl are getting back into these cars. Crazy how the internet pretty much killed forums. I'm still working ok my 06 FG2 been a project for a while now because I've had other cars to daily and was so busy with work and just couldnt find the time and space to finish the car. But god willing this yr the car will make more progress and 1 day it will finally be done. I'm also looking into getting a new type r as well so we will see.

Here's to you and your build

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just started looking back on this forum. Seems like more and more ppl are getting back into these cars. Crazy how the internet pretty much killed forums. I'm still working ok my 06 FG2 been a project for a while now because I've had other cars to daily and was so busy with work and just couldnt find the time and space to finish the car. But god willing this yr the car will make more progress and 1 day it will finally be done. I'm also looking into getting a new type r as well so we will see.

Here's to you and your build
Same to you. I just couldn't let the car go, it's like new. Good luck on your build if you decide that route. The R would be the sh*t though.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Thanks. We'll see what this yr brings man but I really want to finish the turbo FG2 and get the type r. All while keeping my FA1 looking clean and running reliable

1 - 10 of 10 Posts