8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new 2008 Civics have a MPG of 26 city and 36 highway and the 2007 had 30 and 40.
I do not know why, everything looks the same; it seems like the goverment caught car manufactures lying about MPG and now they have to advertise a more realistic MPG.
Do you know anything about it guys?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't think it's because the car manufacturer's were lying, I think that the gov't instituted a new MPG testing proceedure which provides a more acurate mpg range compared to what we get in the real world. If I remember correctly, the old test was developed in the 70's and included very little stop and go "city" driving.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
the ex lists 30 and 40
i get 28mpg at bout 85% city
took a highway trip recently
bout 70% 80 mph
and i only got 34 but heavy acceleration and tons of AC time
but im pretty heavy on the gas pedal
i think its prolly really about what i expected
i knew i would'nt get 30 in town
also i know that my mpg goes up in the winter so
i may average 30 then

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
I can pretty much say that sounds more accurate and realistic for the average driver who uses A/C, doesnt granny drive, doesnt overspeed.. just average A-B driver with traffic on and off etc..

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
As others have said, it is all due to the changes in EPA fuel economy estimates for 2008.

I'm still waiting to see what the Si nets, because I've seen as high as 37 miles a gallon on the highway.

·
Registered
752 Posts
EPA was changed to reflect what poor drivers we are in the USA and what bad choices we make.

·
Registered
258 Posts
well, if they have revised the method for figuring mpg, then it pretty matches what I get, 25 in town and 36 on the road. Oh!, I'm driving 06 Ex coupe, auto. I thought maybe why I got less was that the 30/40 #'s were derived from a dx model with a manual trans. the EX does weigh more with the sunroof.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Fully Flared said:
I drive like a grandma in my 07 LX coupe, don't shift above 2.5k, and never ever get past 310 miles on a full tank. Very depressing. All city BTW.
more important is how quickly you accelerate. some people think if they shift at 2.5k they can accelerate harder. try shifting at 3.5k, but go lightly on the accelerator and watch your acceleration because it will be easier to accelerate faster.

i used to do 3000RPM in my si, then started shifting at 4500, my city MPG went from 25 to 28MPG.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
i get about 315 on the tank until the amber light goes off. it averages out to about 30 mpg for me. most of my driving is done within the city.

·
Ijuswannachill
2,028 Posts
e60.deluxe said:
more important is how quickly you accelerate. some people think if they shift at 2.5k they can accelerate harder. try shifting at 3.5k, but go lightly on the accelerator and watch your acceleration because it will be easier to accelerate faster.

i used to do 3000RPM in my si, then started shifting at 4500, my city MPG went from 25 to 28MPG.
I certainly take that into consideration whilist driving, but thanks for the heads up regardless. I do tend to peak at 3k when I'm slowly accelerating (I have an auto so me talking about shifting is mildly stupid, but I watch my RPM's closely). Definitely good info though, that can also be applied to braking. Steady braking/accelaration goes a looong way in MPG!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts