8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a contractor I need to go where the work is, and right now there doesn't seem to be much here in the Boston area. Of the three contracts that I'm currently considering (and am being considered for), the closest will require me to drive some 500 miles per week and the furthest (and oddly enough the most likely) will require more like 800 miles per week. Assuming I take the latter, I'm thinking that I'll be opting for a new Civic in the next month or two.

So, with that in mind, I went to the web site of every Honda dealership within a 50 mile radius of my house, looking for a 4-Door Civic EX-L 5-Speed (non-Nav). Guess what I came up with? Yup, you got it, nothing. Not a single car. Every EX-L (of which I found very few) had an Automatic transmission, and about half had Nav. To make matters worse, I didn't even find a single regular EX 5-Speed either.

Are the three pedal versions that rare or are they so popular that the dealerships can't keep them in stock? Hmmm, maybe I should be asking if they even exist. :(

·
Registered
932 Posts
I would assume that since that the EX models are purchased for economy and not for the sports car minded buyer, the automatic is a better seller. Therefore, the sticks are probably fewer in numbers produced....JMHO

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jay Kincannon said:
I would assume that since that the EX models are purchased for economy and not for the sports car minded buyer, the automatic is a better seller. Therefore, the sticks are probably fewer in numbers produced....JMHO
Agreed. That said, after reading the posts here and elsewhere it seems that in real-world use, the manual transmission versions get as good as if not better mileage in spite of what the EPA ratings suggest. Personally I could care less about the one mile per gallon advantage that the automatic supposedly has over the manual on the highway, in my case I'm simply allergic to cars that only have two pedals under the dash. :p

·
Registered
302 Posts
You couldn't swing a dead cat around my local dealerships without hitting an LX with manual, but the EX's all had auto. Me, I had to have the premium sound system after hearing the LX's, and I had to have rims. Hubcaps ftl, and I knew I would be too cheap to upgrade later.

Did you try the EX without the leather? (I'm assuming that's what EX-L is, I was told Leather wasn't even an option for 2007) I'm guessing that if you're asking for Leather, that further decreases the chance you'll get it with a manual.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
shipo said:
As a contractor I need to go where the work is, and right now there doesn't seem to be much here in the Boston area. Of the three contracts that I'm currently considering (and am being considered for), the closest will require me to drive some 500 miles per week and the furthest (and oddly enough the most likely) will require more like 800 miles per week. Assuming I take the latter, I'm thinking that I'll be opting for a new Civic in the next month or two.

So, with that in mind, I went to the web site of every Honda dealership within a 50 mile radius of my house, looking for a 4-Door Civic EX-L 5-Speed (non-Nav). Guess what I came up with? Yup, you got it, nothing. Not a single car. Every EX-L (of which I found very few) had an Automatic transmission, and about half had Nav. To make matters worse, I didn't even find a single regular EX 5-Speed either.

Are the three pedal versions that rare or are they so popular that the dealerships can't keep them in stock? Hmmm, maybe I should be asking if they even exist. :(
just bought an 08 EX-L TW Sedan with navi in auto for my fiance. it was like 1 of 3 on the east coast.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ryan T said:
Did you try the EX without the leather? (I'm assuming that's what EX-L is, I was told Leather wasn't even an option for 2007) I'm guessing that if you're asking for Leather, that further decreases the chance you'll get it with a manual.
Last May when I went for a test drive I was able to find plenty of EXs with three pedals, now suddenly they're all automatics no matter where I look. Annoying. The other issue that I have is that of the Civic lineup sold here in the U.S., the only version that has heated exterior mirrors is the EX-L, and given the weather we get here in New Hamster, I'd rather not do without that seemingly insignificant feature.

Thinking about the above further, adding aftermarket leather to a car isn't all that difficult to do and is usually not any more expensive than a factory leather package, so that's a moot point. That leaves me with the issue of the mirrors... Do any of y'all know if it is possible to upgrade the mirrors by buying a Canadian set of heated mirrors (or those from an EX-L) and simply replacing that component?

·
Registered
323 Posts
It took 2 months for the dealership to get my LX in Manual Trans. this time last year. They told me they didn't produce as many because the Auto had better rated gas mileage than manual.

·
Registered
302 Posts
shipo said:
Do any of y'all know if it is possible to upgrade the mirrors by buying a Canadian set of heated mirrors (or those from an EX-L) and simply replacing that component?
People have done some crazy stuff with mirrors and just about everything else in the DIY section.

I'm pretty sure it would be involved and likely require you to run new wires into the fusebox through the door and in stall a switch, but if you're up for that, it should be pretty simple.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The_D_Money said:
It took 2 months for the dealership to get my LX in Manual Trans. this time last year.
Two months? Yeesh, I placed custom factory orders for my last two BMWs that took less time than that.

The_D_Money said:
They told me they didn't produce as many because the Auto had better rated gas mileage than manual.
It seems that the EPA isn't doing us manual transmission bigots (at least that's what I consider myself) any favors with their silly rating schemes. As I wrote before, based upon comments written here as well as elsewhere, it seems that the Civics with three pedals are easily capable of meeting (if not exceeding) the mileage posted by drivers with the slushbox.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ryan T said:
People have done some crazy stuff with mirrors and just about everything else in the DIY section.

I'm pretty sure it would be involved and likely require you to run new wires into the fusebox through the door and in stall a switch, but if you're up for that, it should be pretty simple.
No thanks. I have no problem cracking open an engine, however, I don't like messing with the electronics. That said, I was kind of hoping that since the mirror housings were already wired for remote control that that same wiring harness also carried the power for the mirror heaters.

·
Registered
302 Posts
shipo said:
No thanks. I have no problem cracking open an engine, however, I don't like messing with the electronics. That said, I was kind of hoping that since the mirror housings were already wired for remote control that that same wiring harness also carried the power for the mirror heaters.
Well it may. Either way you'd have to install a switch and harness. Whether it's plug-and-play, I don't know. That might be a question to ask in the DIY forum.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ryan T said:
Well it may. Either way you'd have to install a switch and harness.
Usually the mirror heater circuit is activated by the rear-window defogger. It would be very interesting to see if the wiring is there and the circuit is activated via the defogger on non-EX-L cars sold in the U.S. Hmmm...

Ryan T said:
Whether it's plug-and-play, I don't know. That might be a question to ask in the DIY forum.
Good point. Thanks. :thumb:

Edit:
I just did some searching in the DIY forum and learned that "the wiring is completely different" for cars with heated mirrors. So, that blows the idea of retrofitting an EX with the Canadian mirrors. Bummer. It looks like this could be a long wait for an EX-L that would allow me to stir my own gears. :(

·
Registered
302 Posts
You could always order one, but then there's the waiting, and I would think your negotiating power goes down. . . .

·
Registered
783 Posts
had to go an hour out of my way to the Ann Arbor dealer to find a galaxy gray 2 door manual EX. No one else had them. but i got the only one they had on the lot, I had to have what i wanted, no settling.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ryan T said:
You could always order one, but then there's the waiting, and I would think your negotiating power goes down. . . .
A common Old Wive's Tail. The fact is that a dealership doesn't have to pay any (or extremely little) interest on a car that is ordered and delivered as soon as it comes in. Between my wife and I we've ordered our eight most recent cars and six were actually built to order (the other two were found at nearby dealerships in the exact color and configuration we ordered). In every case we got extremely attractive pricing in spite of the fact that most of them were cars in high demand.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pentabubs said:
had to go an hour out of my way to the Ann Arbor dealer to find a galaxy gray 2 door manual EX. No one else had them. but i got the only one they had on the lot, I had to have what i wanted, no settling.
Rochester Hills huh? I grew up in Avon Township Michigan (back in the mid 1960s, before it was incorporated into Rochester) on John R, just two miles south of Bloomer State Park. I still have fond memories of cider and donuts from the Yates Cider Mill. ;)

·
Registered
783 Posts
shipo said:
Rochester Hills huh? I grew up in Avon Township Michigan (back in the mid 1960s, before it was incorporated into Rochester) on John R, just two miles south of Bloomer State Park. I still have fond memories of cider and donuts from the Yates Cider Mill. ;)
LOL i just went to Yates last week with my girlfriend for a gallon of cider and some cider slushes, so good!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
i talked to a dealer in cambridge, ma
and he said the coupe Si's are coming january for the summer season
im sure they will get some ex's with them

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
brazilianguy said:
i talked to a dealer in cambridge, ma
Too funny. A couple of years ago we hired a contractor to finish off our basement, and for a while at least, he seemed to be a pretty upstanding guy. Then all of the sudden he split with nearly $15,000 that we'd paid him to get "contractor" rates on carpeting, a propane stove and some masonry work. The carpeting did go in (about $6,000 worth of the $10,000 we paid for), however, apparently he never paid the carpet company and they came after us.

I of course refused to pay for something that I'd already paid for (and then some) and the carpet company threatened to sue me. My lawyer told me that since I never had a contract with the carpet folks, I wasn't liable for any payments to them and that they should go after the contractor who commissioned them to do the work. Apparently they'd already tried that but he was a slippery little bastard and had always managed to avoid service. Then one day one of the contractor's former employees (who was now doing work directly for us with me acting as "contractor") found out that this slime-ball was now selling cars for Cambridge Honda. I passed that information on to the carpet company and haven't heard from them since, and that's now been over two years. Rumor has it that this guy is still working there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts