8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone i was just wondering i wanted to upgrade my sub for my 2008 civic ex-l coupe and i didnt know what i should get i was just planning on getting a 10 inch in the back or something of that sort, but i dont really know much about cars in general so any help would be greatly appreciated.

some questions:

should i get a new headunit for my system, or just keep it how it is
and do i need a amp since i already have the 350W sound i think

thanks

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
for something as simple as a subwoofer run the stock HU would be fine unless you really want to get into it then changing it would become more justified, in this case just a simple LOC off the stock sub's signal wire and youre good to go on that one

as for an amp, YES youll need one if you want to put in a new sub of any sort, the stock amp only puts out 30W to that channel, not nearly enough to adequately power a good 10" driver

any help further than this requires more information such as how much bass you want, how much money youre willing to lay down, and whether a shop is installing it all for you, that sort of thing

·
Registered
263 Posts
if you have an ex, keep the head unit and ditch the speakers. you can do it yourself easily. the head should have the ipod in which is all you need in a head not to mention 350W is nice too. but you can get pioneer A series or somethign for like ~30 a pair. pretty good stuff. as for a sub, youd have to shell out a but more for one with installation, considering you said you dont know much about cars you probably dont wanna do this part yourself. but if your looking for a hard hitting bass then a sub is what you need. you could also look into dynamat, itll keep all the raod noise to a minumum. feel free to message me

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
^^ few things bout the stock unit that you shoul know

- there is NO USB connection standard on 08s, Premium or not, so no 'iPod' in the headunit, not that that matters to us that havent jumped on the Apple bandwagon

- it SAYS 350W, but youre only really getting about 110RMS, net total across all 7 channels

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
if you have an ex, keep the head unit and ditch the speakers. you can do it yourself easily. the head should have the ipod in which is all you need in a head not to mention 350W is nice too. but you can get pioneer A series or somethign for like ~30 a pair. pretty good stuff. as for a sub, youd have to shell out a but more for one with installation, considering you said you dont know much about cars you probably dont wanna do this part yourself. but if your looking for a hard hitting bass then a sub is what you need. you could also look into dynamat, itll keep all the raod noise to a minumum. feel free to message me
No offense but do you have any idea what the hell you're talking about?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright thanks a lot for the information everyone im most likely getting only a sub cause my speakers arent that bad in my opinion i think

and im willing to shell out around 400-500 for a sub for my car but i dont want anything to heavy for it since it is a coupe and all

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
to RMyoshi umm i actually have no idea what size my tweeters and speakers are haha im guessing 6.5? but im not quite sure and whats a tweeter cause i dont really know much about cars and ya just started learning and stuff

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
to RMyoshi umm i actually have no idea what size my tweeters and speakers are haha im guessing 6.5? but im not quite sure and whats a tweeter cause i dont really know much about cars and ya just started learning and stuff
The diameter of the speakers are 6.5 and the tweeters are 1.75. My JL Audio XR650 CSi components are the same size as stock.

The tweeters are the speakers that are on top of your dash, open it up and you'll see a little circular speaker. That's the tweeter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
^^ few things bout the stock unit that you shoul know

- there is NO USB connection standard on 08s, Premium or not, so no 'iPod' in the headunit, not that that matters to us that havent jumped on the Apple bandwagon

- it SAYS 350W, but youre only really getting about 110RMS, net total across all 7 channels
word. i didnt know they didnt have that in the 08s. i bought mine in 09 so i didnt see any 08 options haha. and by ipod, i meant auxiliary jack. whatever. and yeah your not even getting 110 cause they lie about all of that anyways. and my opinion is if youve got the premium keep the HU, if its the lx, ditch it. ps thanks for not bein a dbag like someone i know
v
v
v
No offense but do you have any idea what the hell you're talking about?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
the brochure says 350W premium audio, but if you dig into here youll find a rpint out with RMS ratings. . . if I recall it breaks down to 18x4 (F.Mid/Rear) + 3x2 (F.High) + 28x1 (SW)

the EX models since 06 came with 3.5mm AUX ports, I think 09+ started giving them USB on top of that

·
Registered
263 Posts
the brochure says 350W premium audio, but if you dig into here youll find a rpint out with RMS ratings. . . if I recall it breaks down to 18x4 (F.Mid/Rear) + 3x2 (F.High) + 28x1 (SW)

the EX models since 06 came with 3.5mm AUX ports, I think 09+ started giving them USB on top of that
this man knows whats up haha. i didnt even look it up

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The diameter of the speakers are 6.5 and the tweeters are 1.75. My JL Audio XR650 CSi components are the same size as stock.

The tweeters are the speakers that are on top of your dash, open it up and you'll see a little circular speaker. That's the tweeter.
ohhhhh ok ok hahah thanks a lot i can look into those next time thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

i see i see i didnt really get the calculation but i think ya haha its understandable but ya you know your stuff and thanks a lot :wigglesmiley:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts