8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2008 Civic I gave to my parents when I bought a 2013 Accord, I couldn’t keep rear brakes on it, I figured it was just my driving and the fact I use my e-brake a lot. Turns out they can’t keep brakes on it either. I did rear brakes and rotors 4 times, calipers with the 3rd set, they’ve done them over twice. So that makes 6 sets in 7 years and just over 110,000 KM. I’ve had my Accord for 2 years now and the brakes have 50,000 and still show 50% as per my last Honda B service.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The parking brake could be misadjusted causing the rears to drag. Here's the page on rapid brake wear from the service manual:

View attachment 192709
I second this. There's only a few things that could cause that and the most common issue is the parking brake (which of course, activates the rears only).

Idk if it applies to you but I have also heard stories about these cars needing the rear and front pads changed at the same time, otherwise a braking module/component we have tries to overcompensate the difference (in new vs worn pads, if only one set is done) and causes excessive wear.
But someone else probably would know more about that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I practice applying the parking brake temporarily and release it promptly to keep the cable from freezing in place due to no use. I always check it is fully released by rolling a little bit and quickly put ing in neutral to see if it rocks back a little when it stops. I had a car before where I never used the parking brake and the first time I applied it, the parking cable got stuck and would not fully release it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts