8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've poked around here on the forums. seams people want to put on a hitch to carry a bike (bicycle).

I want to pull a bike trailer. Motorcycle trailer. +/-600#
want to be able to bring home a few sheets of 4x8 plywood or sheet rock.
anyone done this?

2007 civic coupe, 4cyl, 5spd.
Yes i know how to drive it, know how to drive big manual trucks as well.
252k going for 500K.

Had to borrow my daughter's Kia Soul to bring home a water heater from Home D.
2' x 2' x 50" - you know that wont fit in the trunk of my civic. 110# easy in the Soul.
In the civic Ive had 8 bags of mulch in the trunk. Ive had 4 80# bags of concrete mix in the trunk,
6 40# bags. All no problem.
I know/understand tongue weight. I've been a trailer guy for years,
just now what i have to tow with is restrictive. Thought about getting a pick-up,
but not wanting to give up my civic - and can't rely on bumming from my friends (F-250 Diesels)

anyone go this route? no more than 600 + small utility trailer ( like a jet ski or motorcycle trailer)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had a hitch on my '09 LX sedan 5spd for quite a few years. I bought a hitch kit and a wiring harness from etrailer.com and installed it myself; it was quite easy.

I tow a 4x8' utility trailer. It's not a heavy trailer, but it has high sides that I'm sure add drag. It does quite well. No idea on longevity, though—my '09 is still under 90k miles.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't think youll have an issue with that. They are rated for 1000lbs towing.

For the past 2 summers I have trailered my motorcycle to and from the track with my Si and it has handled it fine. That includes all the other tools and gear I take with me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had a hitch on my '09 LX sedan 5spd for quite a few years. I bought a hitch kit and a wiring harness from etrailer.com and installed it myself; it was quite easy.

I tow a 4x8' utility trailer. It's not a heavy trailer, but it has high sides that I'm sure add drag. It does quite well. No idea on longevity, though—my '09 is still under 90k miles.
Thanks for the reply. was going to go to my local hitch guy, but looking online I've decided to do it myself.
saw a curt video of an install. not difficult. do they send the fish wire deal to pull the front bolt through?
its all good i can make one.
just looking to be able to bring home a couple sheets of plywood or wallboard, maybe help my kids move a dresser, stuff like that, all of which won't fit in my trunk, lol
i'm an electrician and like the e trailer plug in harness. beats cutting and heat shrinking.

I've had a half dozen 2x4's in the car. have to reach under to shift, lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think youll have an issue with that. They are rated for 1000lbs towing.

For the past 2 summers I have trailered my motorcycle to and from the track with my Si and it has handled it fine. That includes all the other tools and gear I take with me.
Thanks for the reply. sounds good.
I have no trailer yet - but I should get something to get my bike to the track.
always want to go, but always afraid of riding over there 60 miles, then breaking a clutch cable or something simple.
where is your track? just wondering...
closest to me is Orland Speed World, then Gainesville.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for the reply. sounds good.
I have no trailer yet - but I should get something to get my bike to the track.
always want to go, but always afraid of riding over there 60 miles, then breaking a clutch cable or something simple.
where is your track? just wondering...
closest to me is Orland Speed World, then Gainesville.
Ya, riding to the track isn't best idea. Cant take much with you and if you break or crash then its an adventure getting home. I'm up in New Hampshire. Mostly go to NHMS in Loudon. Its only an hours drive for me.

To answer your question in the other reply. I got the Curt receiver and wiring harness. Only took about 2 hours to install. They give you everything to put it together including the fishing wire. Great kit.

And the harness worked perfectly. Everything was labeled and only took a few minutes to do. Super happy with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts