8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This all started after I hit a racoon that bent in my condenser. A few weeks later my AC started blowing luke warm so I bought a can of AC pro thinking the condenser was slowly leaking. The can gauge showed 40 PSI which was the middle of the green so it should have been good. I went ahead and added some charge to reach the upper area of the green. The outlet temperature never increased, then the clutch started cylcling on/off which I assumed was because I had over charged the system.

Fast forward to today, I decided to overhaul the system due to mileage and replace the compressor along with the condenser/dryer assembly and also the expansion valve. I replaced the components and flushed the system (lines, evaporator core) with an AC system flush agent. I added 80ml PAG oil to the compressor, pulled a vacuum on the system and pressure tested with no loss after 1 hr, and filled with 15.75oz of R134a.

The system would still only give a 10-15 F temperature drop.

AC clutch engages properly, the radiator fans are running, the blend door is moving, the blower fan is new....

I added about another 1/2 lb of freon to see if more is better, but no change.

The system was evacuated, I recharged the system with 15.5 oz of freon again, and was able to get about 25 F temperature drop. That lasted about a week. Now it is back to only giving me a 15 F temperature drop.

Ambient Temp: 80 F
Humidity: 70%
Outlet Air Temp: 63 F
Outlet Target: 50 F
Static Pressure @75F (Engine Cold): Low 77, HI 78 (Target 77)
Static Pressure @80F (After Running): 63 & 145
Low Side (Blue) PSI: 35
High Side (Red) PSI: 165
Target Low/High: @80~Low 21-38/Hi 160-210

The pressures look good to me, I added the proper amount of charge, and it was working almost to the factory target temperatures for a while. If it had a leak, I would expect the pressures to be out of range. The only items not replaced are the lines and the evaporator core. The lines weren't damaged or kinked by the racoon.

What are your thoughts? What am I missing?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I remember having a similar issue and I think the solution was to go on a few spirited drives and add a little bit more freon if needed. I think our ac compressors underperform in the cooling department.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are the temperatures fine if you drive on the highway? Are the fans spinning at full speed while idle?

The pressures look good, the high side might be a little low at 80f ambient.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've driven at highway speeds for about 4 hours over the past 3 days and the temps would only get down to 61 F with daily highs reaching 85 F. I assume the cooling fans are one speeds. Both are kicking on.

This AM I did a test and the outlet temp actually got down to 51 F. That was when idling at 1500 RPM in the driveway with the ambient temp @ 85. That does reach the expected range on the chart below. I'm not doing anything different today.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is your engine radiator dirty, blocking air flow? Does the temperature drop when you spray a water hose on the condensor?

The fans are 2 speed I believe. They run in series, then a relay can make them run in parallel. When in parallel, the fans are noticeably loud.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The radiator doesn't appear to be abnormally dirty and the engine temperature is at the usual spot. I haven't tried spraying the condenser to see what that does.

Now that you mention it, I do remember hearing the fans do kick to a higher speed. I have heard that recently, but it could be that the relay is sticking and not kicking to the higher speed. Even with that, I would think traveling at highway speeds would do a good enough job to cool it off. I'll have to pay attention to if and when that is happening.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I misted the condenser. it lowered the temp a considerable amount.

Before mist
@1500 RPM: Low - 40, Hi - 185, vent 54 F - ambient 86 F

After misting
@1500 RPM: Low - 20, Hi - 145, vent 46 F - ambient 85 F

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok, so it seems your system is working correctly. It's just a matter of efficiency.

You either need more airflow through the condenser, or you can rig up a misting system with an extra water tank, lol.

Perhaps the condenser you bought is a cheap one, and isn't as efficient.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I paid big for the Denso...to make sure it was efficient. :cautious::poop:

Good thing I have an extra plastic barrel. No I'll just have to fashion me a way to strap it on the trunk and run some lines to the condenser.

Side note....the fans did sound like they were in the high speed/jet engine mode.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Something else to try is the air mixer (hot/cold) sometimes gets stuck or doesn't close all the way.. Just switch from cold to hot air, wait 1-2sec and switch back to cold. Do this 5-6 times to see if the air gets colder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts