8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I'm a bit scared for my car.

My Civic's shifter, over the past year or two, will very occasionally have trouble moving from Drive to any non-forward gear. It feels like something is bound up, (or maybe that was just the feeling of plastic flexing.) Either way, it would take a considerable amount of force to get it up to N/R/P. Today, It won't go into Neutral, Reverse, or Park at all. I completely removed the shifter assembly to rule that out. The cable itself won't go into N/R/P either. I can cycle through 1, 2, D3, and D all I want. I really hope it isn't something wrong with the transmission. Could this just be the cable? Please let me know if you have any ideas.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like there is an issue with the transmission if it doesn't want to shift to R, P, and N.

I would get this diagnosed with the Dealership asap until it leaves you stranded. That's if you can't find the issue.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Greetings. I'm a bit scared for my car.

My Civic's shifter, over the past year or two, will very occasionally have trouble moving from Drive to any non-forward gear. It feels like something is bound up, (or maybe that was just the feeling of plastic flexing.) Either way, it would take a considerable amount of force to get it up to N/R/P. Today, It won't go into Neutral, Reverse, or Park at all. I completely removed the shifter assembly to rule that out. The cable itself won't go into N/R/P either. I can cycle through 1, 2, D3, and D all I want. I really hope it isn't something wrong with the transmission. Could this just be the cable? Please let me know if you have any ideas.
Have you checked the transmission oil level recently? Replacing with new oil would also help sometimes.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you checked the transmission oil level recently? Replacing with new oil would also help sometimes.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

UPDATE:
For people having this same issue, I'm going to leave this here as I'm apparently the only one that has ever seen this issue:

Where the shift cable connects to the transmission, some sort of shield had broken and was lodged in the way, causing the shift cable not to shift into neutral, reverse, or park. I found this out by taking it to a dealership (the circumstances did not make it easy for me to look at it myself.) All said and done, I was out the door with a working car for around $220 plus the tow fee.

This thread can now be closed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts