8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says. I've had my 2007 Civic for a year, but just noticed the coolant level in my overflow tank is very low when my engine is cold.

I got an oil change last month and they said they topped off my coolant. My engine heat gauge has never gone over halfway.

I've done everything to check for leaks. I put cardboard under my car, no drips. I've checked the oil, no coolant is mixing in it. Engine area is dry as a bone, no signs of dripping anywhere. Head gasket is relatively new too (it got replaced 2 years ago).

What am I missing here? Is it just usually low in the overflow tank? I feel like if I had a major issue, my car would've overheated by now, as I drive it almost every day.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Realistically you should be fine, if you spot no leaks and have checked the oil for mixing. If the car gets up to temp in a normal time you'd expect (Like 3-5 minutes of drive time the bars should be about halfway or at least a quarter) then also no issue really. I'd also check that the heat is working when the car starts getting up to temp, if the temp gauge shows the bars and you have no heat that means you are low on coolant. Otherwise, it should be fine, the coolant min max on the side of the reservoir is hard to read a lot of the times. The overflow level doesn't matter as much as the reservoir level.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As the title says. I've had my 2007 Civic for a year, but just noticed the coolant level in my overflow tank is very low when my engine is cold.

I got an oil change last month and they said they topped off my coolant. My engine heat gauge has never gone over halfway.

I've done everything to check for leaks. I put cardboard under my car, no drips. I've checked the oil, no coolant is mixing in it. Engine area is dry as a bone, no signs of dripping anywhere. Head gasket is relatively new too (it got replaced 2 years ago).

What am I missing here? Is it just usually low in the overflow tank? I feel like if I had a major issue, my car would've overheated by now, as I drive it almost every day.
2008 si with 132k on it. Ive replaced rad, rad cap, thermostat, heater core, and even the head gasket (all by a reputable shop).... still loosing coolant.... every 250-300 mi I refill overflow. Im just about done with this thing. Have you had any luck since posting?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts