8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the way things look im thinking the new 2006 si is going to need 91 or higher fuel to run properly? I hope im wrong as I would rather see the compression dropped alittle and sacrifice a few hp so I could run regular unleaded. I built a couple motorcycle motors and come to the conclusion the 1 point in compression ratio just doesn't add up to much more performance just higher fuel bills. On a side note I been driveing a 2000 civic ex since new and find it to be a great car. My only disapointment is I didn't opt for the si version.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
Chevyman3 said:
From the way things look im thinking the new 2006 si is going to need 91 or higher fuel to run properly? I hope im wrong as I would rather see the compression dropped alittle and sacrifice a few hp so I could run regular unleaded. I built a couple motorcycle motors and come to the conclusion the 1 point in compression ratio just doesn't add up to much more performance just higher fuel bills. On a side note I been driveing a 2000 civic ex since new and find it to be a great car. My only disapointment is I didn't opt for the si version.

I hear ya. I wish I knew what it would run on, but right now it's a mystery. If it follows the trend of the RSX and the RSX type S - it will require premium. The RSX-S runs off premium gas vs. regular gas in the base RSX. It was anounced that it will use the K series motor, so it's going to basically be a brother of the RSX engine most likely.

Think of it this way - the cost difference might not be THAT much worse.

Let's just say you'd get 20mpg for a year on 20k miles ave. - just easy number to work with.

So that would be 1000 gallons of gas at that rate. We'll just say 87 grade is 2.00 a gallon, and premium is 2.20 a gallon.

at regular - you'd spend $2000 for the year.
at premium - you'd spend $2200 for the year.

If you drove 20k miles, and got that gas mileage, at that price of gas - it would be about 200 bucks a year difference. Yes it does add up over time, but you'd basically be paying about 2 dollars extra per fillup (give or take).

I guess we'll all see soon. I bet most people won't even think of it though when they go to buy it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
welcome to the site - chevyman. I see you drive a honda now, so what is up with the name? You a big chevy fan? Nice first post. :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Webby I see what your saying about cost not being to much more for fuel. Honda most likely just wanted to hit that magical 200hp mark and it likely takes premium to do that. My first car was a Chevy Camaro I bought 8 years ago. I have had and used the same username and email Chevyman03 since then.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
that's cool. the 100hp per liter is a nice # for them. We'll see shortly what it will take to fill it up.

If you have pics of your civic/camaro - feel free to post them up. Most members have created a thread with their rides on the site.

Welcome.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
webby said:
I hear ya. I wish I knew what it would run on, but right now it's a mystery. If it follows the trend of the RSX and the RSX type S - it will require premium. The RSX-S runs off premium gas vs. regular gas in the base RSX. It was anounced that it will use the K series motor, so it's going to basically be a brother of the RSX engine most likely.

Think of it this way - the cost difference might not be THAT much worse.

Let's just say you'd get 20mpg for a year on 20k miles ave. - just easy number to work with.

So that would be 1000 gallons of gas at that rate. We'll just say 87 grade is 2.00 a gallon, and premium is 2.20 a gallon.

at regular - you'd spend $2000 for the year.
at premium - you'd spend $2200 for the year.

If you drove 20k miles, and got that gas mileage, at that price of gas - it would be about 200 bucks a year difference. Yes it does add up over time, but you'd basically be paying about 2 dollars extra per fillup (give or take).

I guess we'll all see soon. I bet most people won't even think of it though when they go to buy it.
plus you will be filling up more offten because is gets 10 miles less per gallon an average of 250 mi. per tank.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can use regular and the car will de-tune because it senses knock, but it will make less horsepower for sure. In cars without knock sensors it was a bad idea to run regular in an engine tuned for premium. I would only do it in a pinch, because some places don't even have 91+ octane, which is exactly why you can't make a car that will ONLY run well on premium. USA today did an article on it...

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-07-30-premiumgas_x.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts