8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i'm new here. I've been lurking and reading a lot. I'm not a newbie to the vehicular experience, I'm 50 and have been working on cars and building engines for 30+ years. Avid drag racer, and have worked on a fuel funny car team. Even had a car on display for 2019 PRI in Indy.

I have three civics (2006, 2008, and a 2010), and my wife drives an 07 Pilot.

I love these cars, but the one is a real PITA. The current snafu is that the 2006 civic EX sedan has the TPMS light on. Everything I read says that an 06 doesn't have it. Just for fun, had a friend with a good scanner check the wheel speed sensors and the LR was reading high, so I replaced it. They all read the same now. Did it have any effect on the light being on? Hell no.

If this 2006 doesn't have TPMS, why is "TPMS" showing on my dash and how can I get it to go away??? Curious for your responses.

If I have this in the wrong forum area, please move it.

thank you folks!!

·
Registered
06FG2 736.72whp/[email protected] e85/ FA1-R18 Daily FTW
5,748 Posts
As far as I know the 2006 should not have the tpms light. My first question would be are you the original owner? If not is it possible someone replaced the tachometer to a newer one to prompt the light being on.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Is the 2006 a US car? Not imported from a different country? 2008 was the first year Civic's came with TPMS in the US.

Either way I'd recommend doing this. No more dumb TPMS light.
Part 1
Part 2

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so NO I am not the original owner, I got it about 3 months ago. It is a US built car.

I was curious about the cluster swap myself. Anything is possible, I am finding stuff that leads me to believe that some teenager that saw Fast and Furious too many times (and probably angrily masturbated to it) might have owned the car. Back to the subject - if the cluster was swapped, would the mileage carry over from the donor vehicle, or is it stored in the computer itself?

Thanks for the video on just covering up the light. I have some other stuff to do the car this coming weekend (voodoo wiper/cover fix, and an evap code from the fuel pump ring seal), so I will probably pop the cluster apart and just tape over it. I did something similar on a Blazer I had years ago, I was just hoping to come up with the cause of my particular problem before the ******* fix was applied.

My 2008 5 speed car is trouble free at 226,000, and my sons 2010 is going strong at 282,000. This 06 is my daughters car, has 160K on it and it is a raging POS.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Ok, so NO I am not the original owner, I got it about 3 months ago. It is a US built car.

I was curious about the cluster swap myself. Anything is possible, I am finding stuff that leads me to believe that some teenager that saw Fast and Furious too many times (and probably angrily masturbated to it) might have owned the car. Back to the subject - if the cluster was swapped, would the mileage carry over from the donor vehicle, or is it stored in the computer itself?

Thanks for the video on just covering up the light. I have some other stuff to do the car this coming weekend (voodoo wiper/cover fix, and an evap code from the fuel pump ring seal), so I will probably pop the cluster apart and just tape over it. I did something similar on a Blazer I had years ago, I was just hoping to come up with the cause of my particular problem before the ******* fix was applied.

My 2008 5 speed car is trouble free at 226,000, and my sons 2010 is going strong at 282,000. This 06 is my daughters car, has 160K on it and it is a raging POS.
Yeah. 06 civics do not come with a TPMS light nor do they have any sort TPMS system.
My guess would be that his dash died out and he grabbed a used one from a salvage yard for cheap which had a tpms light.
And no, the ECU sets the Mileage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Just curious, does the cluster have a date code made/stamped/printed/labeled into it anywhere? when I take it out, I'd like to check.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is it the TPMS light or the symbol looks kinda like a tire.
First I'd check tire pressure, did you change the rims/tires ? The tire pressure sensors are in the tire, back side of the valve. My '08 Accord had a similar issue and it was a bad sensor, they have batteries...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am finding stuff that leads me to believe that some teenager that saw Fast and Furious too many times (and probably angrily masturbated to it) might have owned the car.
Hopefully not while he was driving. You can get a small blacklight flashlight at Harbor Freight for about $8.

Just about time for the block to start cracking.

First year of a new generation often tends to be problematic.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts

First year of a new generation often tends to be problematic.
If the car went past 120K miles without any symptoms, it most likely won't happen.
Mine is from 06 and the engine/transmission is original to the car. Has 230K miles.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If the car went past 120K miles without any symptoms, it most likely won't happen.
Mine is from 06 and the engine/transmission is original to the car. Has 230K miles.
My last Civic - a 2009 - started using small amounts of coolant at around 160 or 170k, I don't remember exactly when. I never verified that it was seeping from the usual places, I just added a few ounces when it dropped below the bottom of the filler neck. Oddly enough, only in winter. I suspect the cracks acted as a sort of pressure relief valve and there is more coolant expansion and contraction in the winter.

Kept doing that until I ditched the car at 256K because of frame rust. Never overheated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Weekend update: Much success, not without a lot of hassle. Saturday afternoon, we started with the wipers that had lost their mind. With the new wiper motor cover ready to install, we started taking the wiper transmission out, found the drivers side had two of the three mounting points broken off, and the third was almost broken. leftover crash damage? Who knows. Quick trip to the local pick-n-pull snagged us another. Swapped motor covers anyway. All reassembled, wipers good.

Evap code was from the seal for the fuel pump leaking, we verified a few weeks ago with a smoke test. Previous owner(s) had also done us the favor of cross threading the tank threads where the "nut" goes on to retain the pump. Since I couldnt find just the "nut", sealing ring, and gasket for sale by itself (its $117.00 from honda!), I bought a new inexpensive (< $60) pump just to get those parts. Getting the ring back on was an adventure, I ended up heating up a small screwdriver, bending it 90 degrees, and leaving it hot to fix the tank threads. Next time, Im just gonna change tanks if I need to do the pump. I did get one of the spanner type wrenches for that retaining nut, it was well worth the $20, and hangs on the wall for the next time. Cleared stored codes, we will see in a week if the check engine light comes back on.

To the cluster with TPMS showing: Not anymore. Took the cluster out, taped over the TPMS part of the mask with quality "Scotch" brand electrical tape, and reassembled without issue. Didnt see a label with a date on it anywhere.

Overall, a sense of success, but not without an extreme sense of irony. We had angered the Tire Pressure Gods. Saturday we taped over the TPMS letters in the cluster. Got up Sunday morning, car had a COMPLETELY flat RF tire. One wood screw and tire plug later, I drove it back up from my shop to our garage and gave the key back to my daughter. Tire is still good this morning. Next up is fixing the door key lock rod in the drivers door.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Overall, a sense of success, but not without an extreme sense of irony. We had angered the Tire Pressure Gods. Saturday we taped over the TPMS letters in the cluster. Got up Sunday morning, car had a COMPLETELY flat RF tire.
That's too funny. I drove more than 30 years without any sort of TPMS system in my cars, now that I have had one for a few years I feel uneasy since my TPMS light has been on the last few days. Every time I hit a rut in the road or drive over some loud expansion joints I want to pull over and check my tires LOL.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cold here today, Sunny Florida is still sunny with clear skies, but 46 degree's, brings out the thermals, long sleeves, and socks with the sandals... plus Tire Pressure warning lights all over town.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, thanks for jinxing me. Started leaking over this past weekend, after yet another flat tire. I must need to sacrifice a virgin into the TPMS volcano to appease the tire pressure gods.

How can an "ok" block be identified versus the "earlier" block that was subject to cracking? Was there a change in part number? Before I go get an engine, I want to make sure the one I am getting is from a mid 2009+ and later car... my fear is finding an engine from a later car only to find out that an earlier engine had been swapped into THAT car. It is possible and I would like to avoid it if possible.

·
Registered
267 Posts
So, thanks for jinxing me. Started leaking over this past weekend, after yet another flat tire. I must need to sacrifice a virgin into the TPMS volcano to appease the tire pressure gods.

How can an "ok" block be identified versus the "earlier" block that was subject to cracking? Was there a change in part number? Before I go get an engine, I want to make sure the one I am getting is from a mid 2009+ and later car... my fear is finding an engine from a later car only to find out that an earlier engine had been swapped into THAT car. It is possible and I would like to avoid it if possible.
For the heavy labor, don't get a 2009 engine because next thing you know, that engine s**** the bed as well (UNLESS there is a "short block replaced" service note on the VIN check." Get a 2010+ engine to ensure it doesn't crack for sure.

My car is a 2006 Civic EX Sedan as well and my s*** is falling apart as well. I need to replace both front wheel bearings in a couple of days. Mine has 164k on the odometer. After this, i'm not dumping anymore money onto the car other than tires and 4 struts.

You did say that you got it 4 months ago. It's possible that the last person screwed you over and knew the block was going to crack so they sold it asap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Poor little bastard still leaking a quart a week from behind the starter, even after some sealer. Found a 2011 engine, picking it up this week. Then waiting for warmer weather, unless the leak goes faster. Once I have the leaker out, I will look into some very permanent, possibly destructive method of sealing it up and keeping as a spare for the 2008. If nothing else, I might just take a hammer to the leaking area just to see the thickness of the block cross section. #knowledgeispower

1 - 20 of 21 Posts