8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a wiring diagram or know where to get one? I have an 06 Civic EX that I'd like to install a remote starter on. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
just get a volt meter and tap into wires to get the proper voltages. - that's how audio shops do it.

i don't think HELMs came out with the book yet for the 06 civic.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Is it possiable to put a remote start on a manual tranmission civic, cuz I know the cluch has to be pushed in to start the car also the key has a chip in it that has to be present to start the car. Seems like that would be a very difficult install. On the other hand a manual tranny car would only have to have the key present for remote start.

·
Registered
805 Posts
It can be done, the rsx type s I know has been done because my bestfriend has a clifford auto starter... its great!

So I believe that it'll be able to be done, because I want an auto starter clifford....

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
the only remote start w/ security I know that works with a manual transmission which has the neutral safety in mind is the Compustar. Basically, when you leave the car, you leave it running in neutral. You close the door, then arm it. The motor will shut off after 5 seconds or so. This is a pretty cool safety feature b/c it won't let you arm it if you turn the engine off yourself. By leaving the car running and in neutral, the system knows that when you remote start the car later, it won't start and stall.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I looked up wht Compustar and was amazed by what it offered. I was thinking of getting a clifford, but now.... Im on the fence, and I found a place to install it close to where I work.... hmmm

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
unplugged said:
the only remote start w/ security I know that works with a manual transmission which has the neutral safety in mind is the Compustar. Basically, when you leave the car, you leave it running in neutral. You close the door, then arm it. The motor will shut off after 5 seconds or so. This is a pretty cool safety feature b/c it won't let you arm it if you turn the engine off yourself. By leaving the car running and in neutral, the system knows that when you remote start the car later, it won't start and stall.
So you do have to leave the key in the ignition for remote start. How good is the security part of the compustar? will it disable the car if someone gets in and turns the key over? since the key will be in the ignition when parked I wouldn't want a remote start. A theif would be like oh boy a free honda civic, keys alarm remote start and everything. Maybe a diffrent story with lojack installed, but still then you would have to find the car. So whats the point of remote start?

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
the (remote start) key will NOT be in the ignition. Simply go to Honda, ask for a BLANK key, that is programmed to your vehicle code. The key is called a T5 - get it in black or gray, either or. Then put the non-cut key in the aftermarket transponder box. This box, reads the code that sends the signal to the ECU to say "this code is or isn't valid, and if it is valid, start the engine".

Then once the car is running, you simply get in your vehicle, put YOUR key in the ignition, and turn it over 2 clicks (to unlock the steering wheel, but not try and crank the motor) and you can drive away w/o having to restart as long as you don't touch the brake pedal before hand.

No key is visible ever to anyone looking inside. Its usually hidden in the dash. I like to tuck mine in as far as i can, and secure it to any metal bracket so it can not be removed easily. If it is removed, it doesn't matter, because that key is NOT cut to turn the ignition! Dealerships might cut you slack on the cost of the key if it doesn't have to be cut. Why not pay for it, if your car is broken into too.. they can't just drive it away. I don't understand why people would put a GOOD key in their car and why shops dont' encourage this idea.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
Oh thanks for clearing that up. Makes a little bit more sense to me now. I guess it would be pretty cool to remote start your car as long as it was secure while on standby, but not because im to lazy to go out in the cold to start it. Just for the pimp factor.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
remote start is nice if you are in a rush.. having to get dressed up to warm up the car, then come back to shower.

is also nice in the summer to have the a/c on..

·
Registered
805 Posts
I agree with unplugged, warming the car up or cooling it down during the summer. Ofcourse its pimp but it also serves as a security system too. The Compustar has a lot of good stuff to its name....

Alarm
Starter
Keyless Entry
Trunk Release Output (-)
Two Aux Outputs
Starter Kill Output (-) w/prewired relay
Anti-Grind
2nd Ignition Output (+)
2nd Ignition Output (-)
True Status Output (-)
2nd Accessory Output (-)
2nd Starter Output (-)
Parking Light Output (+)
Parking Light Output (-)
Remote Start Manual Transmission Capable
Remote Start Diesel Engine Capable
Glow Plug Input (+ / -)
Diesel Delay Mode
Dual Stage Shock Sensor
Extra Sensor Input (-)
Door Sensor Input (+ / -)
Trunk Sensor Input (-)
Siren Output (+)
Horn Output (-)
Tach/Alternator Engine Sensing
Remote Paging Sensor
Cold Start Sensor Input
Timer Start
Factory Rearm/Disarm outputs (-)
Dome Light Supervision Output (-)
Dome Light Factory Rearm
Blue LED
Unlock before Lock after starting
Second Pulse Unlock
Driver's Priority Unlock
Turbo Mode
Passive Arming/Locking
Ignition Controlled Doorlock

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
yeah the compustar is amazing, just for the fact it works with manual transmission. Just make sure when you buy it, it says designed for manual transmission.

·
Registered
805 Posts
~racnjsn04~ said:
Wow, that's a lot of features for one alarm system. What's the best price you've seen on the compustar system? About how much do you think it would cost for install?

I called Compustar just to locate a dealer/installer close to me, and I was surprised to learn that its only a few miles away from where I work. I also asked if they would know a price for that place and I was quoted system and install at around $650.... I dont think Im going to dwell on the price much Im going to get it, I have read many good reviews... and have learned that leaving your car in gear and using the auto starter is bad....

All in all, the features that come with it are :thumb:

·
Registered
48 Posts
how does it work when you are leaving your car? if you pull your key from the ignition, isn't the engine going to shut off with the removal of the key?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Here is how the compustar autostarts work when set up for a manual.
#1 Come to a stop like normal (for example in your driveway) and put the ebrake on
#2 Leave the car in neutral and take the key out. the car will keep running
#3 Get out of the car and shut the door
#4 The car will shut off when you shut the door and the doors will automatically lock.
The reason they do that is that way the autostart "knows" that the car has not been left in gear.
If you open the door again like if you forgot something inside the autostart wont work until you repeat that procedure. It works flawlessly I have one in my civic.

·
Registered
805 Posts
It doesnt sound like a bad system. Last night I talked witha good friend and her bf left her car in gear(she owns a PWP RSX Type S), and she has a Clifford and he used the autostarter and wrecked her baby...... really sad....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts