8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Webby's Minion
7,058 Posts
maximo61170 said:
is it just me or when us r18ers say we wanna do something to our cars and ask for advice... all we get are just get an si.

that was already a choice when we bought are cars. and most people think its just that easy to switch over. for some of our cars... they were a gift. and for others the si was too expensive at the time. also keep in mind the insurance costs. (that was my reason)

so what im trying to say is that there are multiple reasons why we (the r18ers) didnt or still cant get an si. and when we ask a question about modding our cars... cant we just get a straight up answer rather then ALWAYS hearing.. get an si?

rant sorry ive been seeing this a lot and its kinda annoying
For me, it's the way the question is posed. The OP was willing to drop $2K to $3K. It seemed to me that the OP wanted to increase power by a lot and was willing to pay big money for it. I'm assuming he wants to get at least the power of an Si if he's willing to spend that much dough.

One way to get more power is get the AJP turbo kit for the FG1 (see http://www.ajperformance.com/product_info.php?cPath=90&products_id=137963). Problem 1: The kit was designed using an FG1 with AT. It hasn't been verified to fit on an FA1 with AT. Problem 2: The kit costs $3,250 which is over the OP's budget. Add labor to install and it'll be way over budget. Problem 3:If you don't live close enough to the AJP shop, you'll likely run into problems with technical support. Just ask Jeshua (see this thread: http://8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47655). Support is fantastic if you can get to their shop. Ask lxxsilencexxp.

So let's say it takes a full day at a shop to install and tune the turbo kit. 8 hours of shop time with 2 people working on the install at $60/hr. That's something close to $1,000 in labor. So that brings us to about $4,000. AJP claims you can get about 200 whp on the FG1 with auto tranny, assuming you get additional tuning. Let's see...that would require a custom Hondata reflash. Since there aren't many custom reflashes done for the R18, someone from Hondata will need to fly out to the shop and do the reflash. Let's say that's 20 hours worth of work and travel time at $80/hr. That's another $1,600. Additional tuning would also come from a CAI and exhaust system. More money.

Well do you see where I’m going with this? What’s worth more to you? Going through the trouble of adding the turbo kit for the LX or going through the trouble of trading in for an Si?

Okay so there's the issue of added insurance cost for the Si. But there's also an issue of a voided warranty if you add a turbo kit or any other performance modification. I think this evens out.

Well, that's my take on the whole "get an Si" deal.

And my take on the R18 is that it's really not worth it to try to squeeze out more than 20 hp out of it because you'll be spending a lot of money. The easy things to do are to get a CAI and upgrade the exhaust, but that'll really get you about 15-20 peak bhp and will set you back almost $1,000 already and doesn't really help all that much in the low-rpm range.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
8thgenuser said:
For me, it's the way the question is posed. The OP was willing to drop $2K to $3K. It seemed to me that the OP wanted to increase power by a lot and was willing to pay big money for it. I'm assuming he wants to get at least the power of an Si if he's willing to spend that much dough.

One way to get more power is get the AJP turbo kit for the FG1 (see http://www.ajperformance.com/product_info.php?cPath=90&products_id=137963). Problem 1: The kit was designed using an FG1 with AT. It hasn't been verified to fit on an FA1 with AT. Problem 2: The kit costs $3,250 which is over the OP's budget. Add labor to install and it'll be way over budget. Problem 3:If you don't live close enough to the AJP shop, you'll likely run into problems with technical support. Just ask Jeshua (see this thread: http://8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47655). Support is fantastic if you can get to their shop. Ask lxxsilencexxp.

So let's say it takes a full day at a shop to install and tune the turbo kit. 8 hours of shop time with 2 people working on the install at $60/hr. That's something close to $1,000 in labor. So that brings us to about $4,000. AJP claims you can get about 200 whp on the FG1 with auto tranny, assuming you get additional tuning. Let's see...that would require a custom Hondata reflash. Since there aren't many custom reflashes done for the R18, someone from Hondata will need to fly out to the shop and do the reflash. Let's say that's 20 hours worth of work and travel time at $80/hr. That's another $1,600. Additional tuning would also come from a CAI and exhaust system. More money.

Well do you see where I’m going with this? What’s worth more to you? Going through the trouble of adding the turbo kit for the LX or going through the trouble of trading in for an Si?

Okay so there's the issue of added insurance cost for the Si. But there's also an issue of a voided warranty if you add a turbo kit or any other performance modification. I think this evens out.

Well, that's my take on the whole "get an Si" deal.

And my take on the R18 is that it's really not worth it to try to squeeze out more than 20 hp out of it because you'll be spending a lot of money. The easy things to do are to get a CAI and upgrade the exhaust, but that'll really get you about 15-20 peak bhp and will set you back almost $1,000 already and doesn't really help all that much in the low-rpm range.

Okay, this is the best, most logical post made in this thread, which settles it completely for me. It is absolutely not worth it to upgrade my R18. I can either spend about $7,500 more and get an Si (this time a different color, jesus, black is the hardest color ever to take care of) or I can spend about $13,000 more and get a 2005-2006 used Subaru WTX STi. Now I just need to decide on that. Might just be best to drop the $20,000 and get a brand new STi. But that's a LOT of money.

God. What a dillema. But thanks guys, I really appreciate all your input, this has definetly helped me make my decision a bit easier on what I want to do.

I'm not sure I want an Si though. FWD, bad handling (compared to the STi) and 100 less HP. Ability to improve, yes. But mods void warranty. =(

Oh well. Thanks again! Much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Why an STI why why why, I guess to each his own, go drive any evo 9 or a mazdapseed 3, or something of the sort i had an STI in 04 i hate those cars too much for so little. Just my .02

·
Registered
349 Posts
U get what u pay for if u REALLYYY want speed that bad go for the STI. Most of us bought the Si because it's a fun sporty car, but if you really need the power, the STi's better for u if u have the $

·
Registered
349 Posts
Oh and I think the STi's look pretty sweet too. I wanted to get one but it was out of my budget, I dont like owing for cars so if I dont have the $ I'm not buying lol

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Gr3y Goose said:
why do people get ex's and lx's and complain about the power..
you bought it for the mpg. stop bitching and get an si, or nitrous. other than that theres nothing you can do.
tru...i think that it has plenty of power and 38 mpg to boot...wow a great combo....sell it and get something with power...if u like honda go with an accord coupe v6

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
If you don't want to hear to just get an Si...get a WRX. :D Just kidding. Basic bolt ons should make the car a little bit more robust, and throw in the pulleys to free up more power.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Rommy said:

I'm not sure I want an Si though. FWD, bad handling (compared to the STi) and 100 less HP. Ability to improve, yes. But mods void warranty. =(

Oh well. Thanks again! Much appreciated.
in case you didnt know the Si traps as good if not better times on the track than high end sports cars, like the Z06 for example...all in all good luck with whatever you choose to do

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
In a recent issue of Modified Mag, the Si was the slowest of the bunch (due to a malfunction) and rated last out of 10 tuned cars by pro tuners (Skunk, in this case). However, it was first on the skidpad, beating the STi, EVO, et al.; i.e., HANDLING.

·
Registered
414 Posts
datbacker59 said:
trade in and get a 07 si sedan like i did and only pay 240 a month :)

240/mo for an si, what did you put 10k down. im paying 199/mo for my lx and that was after i talked the guy down from like 235

·
Registered
72 Posts
:vtec: wowow, def.. my man you should better wat until you can buy your own si, because its not worth to spend all that money, i have a lx at 4ds and what i'm going to do is when i reach 100k miles i'll put a tsx engine in my little box. them i will have more power and after that i'll see if there is place for turbo.
(thats my dream), of course if i have the money.
serious, my susge..: sell it, and get a si
P.S.: trading in a car will only take about 2 to 3 k off your car value, i won't do that., post it for sale, these car are easy to sale, go to craigslist.:pray:

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Well lets see R18's HP=140-144 HP if you add a Header,Intake,Exhaust those alone will all bring power up to 15-20HP+ Youll get alot more HP with the AJP kit and all of those. Dont forget that AJP also has a turbo kit out right now for our R18's and they are currently working on Engine Management also. Believe me the R18 has potential and its cheapier to mod then the SI. check out my thread here http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28284&highlight=r18+parts this will help you out. :thumb:

·
Registered
88 Posts
watice said:
umm... he was being serious.. a lot of ppl have already done so, and it's the quickest way to achieve your goal. I'm looking at this option as soon as the warrenty expires...
Me too. I'm not going to go that route while my warranty is still in effect.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Actually, I didn't pay for it. It was a gift. I would just like to improve it a bit, because frankly I would feel bad for selling a wonderful gift that my mother gave me.

My dealership said they'd give me between 14-15k for it, so I was thinking of just trading it in. I'm not sure, though.

However... the Si requires premium gas and gets much worse gas milage.
If I wanted a gas-guzzling, premium-using fast vehicle, I could just blow all my money and get the Subaru WRX STi. Hell, 300HP AWD beats 200HP FWD any day.

Anyways, back on topic... is there any way to get a little more low-end power out of this thing? :D
You can get it tuned.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts