8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!! My car vibrates super bad when my AC is on and I'm at a red light or stopped for any reason. I was told it's my motor mounts, but when I looked it up I found there are 3. So how do I know what one needs replaced?

·
Registered
37 Posts
There isn't a way we can know which one needs to be replaced without being able to jack up your car and inspect them. if you have a jack you can life the car or have someone else do it and then watch for movement in the mounts. If there is a lot of movement then the rubber is probably cracked and that mount needs replacement. Once one goes it puts more strain on the others so it can make the others wear out faster too. You can try and inspect them by eye and shake the car/engine to try and see which one has slop but you can also start the engine and have someone rev it up a bit and you may be able to see the engine mount move during the rev which will help you figure out which one is bad.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
thats a waste of time just replace them all. go get a set of boomba or hansport mounts and call it a day have them all replaced. you only need the rear and front btw but they are sold in sets so just scoop up a set and have it installed

·
Registered
33 Posts
Help!! My car vibrates super bad when my AC is on and I'm at a red light or stopped for any reason. I was told it's my motor mounts, but when I looked it up I found there are 3. So how do I know what one needs replaced?
I had a similar issue. Thought it was a motor mount issue, but I ignored it and a couple weeks later I no longer had A/C. Come to find out that my A/C line was vibrating on one of the motor mounts because it wasn’t positioned correctly. This caused the motor mount to rattle its way into my line, which caused the unwanted vibration noises I experienced. Once I replaced the line (re-bent it in a way it wouldn’t rub) and fixed the issues it no longer made the horrible rattle. But this could also just be a motor mount you are describing. Since when it is topped it will idle (vibrate) which could cause the noise. But I would check to see if anything isn’t knocking. Could be cheaper on your part.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi. The mount on the passenger side is most likely the culprit. It is known to go bad faster than the other mounts. It is also the one closest to the A/C compressor.

**note to get an OEM version of this mount, because the cheap non-OEM ones sometimes do not last longer than a year. This is from my personal experience.

** the other 2 mounts are kind of a hard/stationary rubber, so a non-OEM one might be okay. I have these two as non-OEM in my Civic. I mention this because the OEM version mounts are expensive parts.

If your Civic hasn't had any mounts replaced, it is probably better to replace all of them now like Megaman suggested.

Dealers usually are a bit expensive to install the mounts. A smaller repair shop might be better choice.
Or can do yourself. Just need a jack, jack stands, block of wood, and socket wrench/torque wrench set to replace the mounts.
  • the mount at the bottom is easiest to replace (15-60 min), but least likely to have an issue.
  • the one on the passenger side is medium difficulty (2-4 hrs), which is the one you want to focus on.
  • the one on the driver side is a bit of a pain because have to remove several parts to reach it (5-8 hrs).
good luck.
adesh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts