8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone! I am having an issue with my 06 Si where whenever im up to speed like 10-15mph and when i enter highway speeds, i hear this rattling sound. Sounds like metal on metal but i can't figure it out. It just started 2 days ago when i was driving back to NJ. Car has 155k miles on it, every recall was done on it by previous owner. Can someone suggest anything please? I'm going tomorrow to a mechanic to get it looked at. Thanks
P.S. i have a clip of the noise also. The noise happens when A/C is off and on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crazy enough i out ruled that but thinking about it now it could be. I had my driver side wheel bearing replaced about a week or so ago since i upgraded my lower control arms and inner and outer tie rods. Let me see if i can post the vid

·
Registered
189 Posts
Where do you feel the noise is coming from? Do you hear the same noise when you rev up in neutral with the clutch both engaged and disengaged?

Jack up both the front wheels separately and check for wheel bearing noise, even though you changed the driver side. Also check the drive shaft rubber boots for any damages and oil leaks, while the front end is jacked up.

After these checks, if the noise source isn't still confirmed, you also need to check for clutch release bearing and AC idler bearing noise.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i first take off in first gear i hear it, then the following gears. the noise goes away when i put the car into neutral coasting. it also happens when my a/c is off and on

·
Registered
189 Posts
when i first take off in first gear i hear it, then the following gears. the noise goes away when i put the car into neutral coasting. it also happens when my a/c is off and on
If there isn't any noise while coasting in neutral, it isn't related to wheel bearing.

And if you are hearing in all the gears, it may be related to the clutch or transmission. Have you replaced the clutch so far? Also while driving, with the car in gear, press the clutch and see if the noise goes off like while you are coasting in neutral.

Also check the transmission oil level and for any leaks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
havent replaced the clutch because every mechanic i went to said the clutch grabs and no need to replace. the noise goes away as soon as i push the clutch in

·
Registered
189 Posts
It may not be the the clutch plates or the springs but can be the release bearing issue. Take an opinion with a trusted mechanic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, i did notice one thing. When i push the clutch in without putting it into gear i hear this noise but like a whooshh sound. once i put the clutch in its gone, once released i hear it again

·
Registered
189 Posts
Suggest that you get the clutch slave and master cylinders also inspected for any leaks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright i pulled the trans out and it turns out to be my diff , im changing the diff to an aftermarket brand "MFactory" and replacing my clutch

·
Registered
189 Posts
Good that you've identified the problem but surprised that the differential gave in at 155K. Also check both CMC and CSC for any leaks before replacing the clutch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok right now we just have it apart waiting on the new parts to arrive, When should the diff go out? or is it rare for the diff on the Si to go out?

·
Registered
189 Posts
With regular commuter driving, I haven't really heard about diffs giving in at 155K. Unless you do some really hard driving and push the car at some weekend track days.

But there are always differences in tolerance levels for parts while manufacturing and maybe you had a bit of hard luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
funny thing is i dont track it lol i have plans to make the Si supercharged but thats in the future. i honestly do not know why it went out, my friends who are performing the repair told me that the diff could of went out at any time, we knew people whos diffs went out at 40K miles 60K and so on. Sucks that it happened now with COVID-19

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the throw out bearing was really worn also, basically burnt so i smelled that all the time. We had a thought it was the throw out bearing at first but once we put it into 2nd gear while on jacks and let the wheels spin, we manually stopped the passenger side wheel and it tried to spin but it started quivering like it wanted to spin but couldn’t.

·
Registered
189 Posts
funny thing is i dont track it lol i have plans to make the Si supercharged but thats in the future. i honestly do not know why it went out, my friends who are performing the repair told me that the diff could of went out at any time, we knew people whos diffs went out at 40K miles 60K and so on. Sucks that it happened now with COVID-19
Yes... COVID19 is creating unprecedented hardships for everyone. Take care and stay safe.

And if you want to Supercharge your car, why not consider a LSD now since you are replacing it anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts