I guess I'm the only one to do this ever. :dance:Anyone knows how to remove moonroof shutter???
This will help A LOT. Now you just need pics and could make a good DIY :dance:Found a few people asking this but no answer yet.
I guess I'm the only one to do this ever. :dance:
Here's a quick How-to on the headliner
Sunroof panel, Moonroof panel, slider, Sunroof cover, whatever you want to call it. Here's how to remove it.
- Remove the weather stripping around the door.
-Remove the back upper panels/pillar. There are airbags behind it, so be careful. There is a screw behind a small panel under the hooks that fold down. Remove those first.
- Remove the 14mm bolt for the seatbelt
- The rest is just clips. Pull gently. You may want to pull the lower panel out to make it easier. To do that the lower seat cushion has to be removed and one plastic push clip on each side on the bottom have to be removed, then pull gently until it's unclipped. You don't need to remove it though.
-Remove the push clip on each side at the very back of the headliner.
- Use a small flathead and carefully pry the clear plastic off the interior lights to access the screws. Do this for the MAP and Dome. 2 screws per piece.
- Disconnect the plugs, then set the assembly aside.
- Remove both visors. The small clips are removed by inserting a flathead into the opening to push the pin then toward the front then turning counter clockwise.
- The main part of the visor is held on by two star bolts each. First remove the plastic carefully with a flathead.
- Remove the "oh crap" handles on each side. Pry off the 2 covers then depress the metal and pull it out. There are no screws for this. It's just clipped in.
- You can leave the front A-pillars alone. The headliner can slide back without touching those.
- Sitting in the back seat, first pull the headliner down gently until the clips pop out.
- Then once those are popped out, pull the headliner back toward the rear of the car until it slides out from it's slot just in front of the sunroof and from under the A-pillars. Now it should be free to lower and remove.
-Carefully maneuver the headliner out of the car without bending it. It is easier to remove a seat. Not even sure it's possible to do it with both seats in the car without bending it. I had my seats out already for other stuff. At the very least you'd want to fold the seat completely back.
Now for the Sunroof panel.
You will have to lower the sunroof frame a bit. The panel itself is held onto the track by a plastic piece in each corner that has two screws holding it in per piece, but the screws are going downward, so you have to get to them from the top side. You can't slide the panel open when the sunroof is open though because the rear plastic pieces I mentioned are also stoppers that won't let it open.
What to do?
You gotta remove I think eight or nine 10mm bolts that hold up the frame. I remember two on the motor in the back, 3 on each side and one in the front. Do not attempt this alone. You will need help. Before removing the bolts, disconnect the ground wire on the drivers side (10mm bolt), and each of the 4 tubes at each corner. Now, remove all but one bolt on each side, then have your friend hold one end (be prepared, it's pretty heavy), remove that bolt, then go to the other and remove the bolt while you use your head or other hand to hold that side up. With the bolts gone you can lower the frame carefully so that you can move the liner forward and in doing so you can get to the screws needed to remove the liner. Once you get it where you need to (sunroof open), get a couple bolts back in there to hold the frame up and relieve your friend. Once you get the screws off (2 in each corner), carefully remove it from outside of the car through the sunroof hole.
Before I reinstalled it, I cut the stoppers off the plastic so I can easily get it in or out without dropping the frame again. Otherwise you will need to drop the frame again to reinstall it after upholstering it.