8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=415957

Vtec did a dyno on the new EX coupe.

Note that the higher of the two runs was performed in 3rd gear. The lower was in 4th gear. Power and torque at the hubs indicate that this engine is producing more like 150-155 hp and 135-138 lbs-ft of torque at the engine. Also note that the power peaks and torque peaks correspond almost perfectly with the advertised peaks of 4300 rpm for torque and 6300 rpm for horsepower.

We also noted that the engine would occasionally knock at low rpms, indicating that it might indeed benefit from higher octane gasoline (all testing was done on whatever Honda delivered it to us with - probably 87 octane). Power was somewhat soft below 2000 rpm. We feel that this was probably due to the new small valve opening mode on the R18 designed for optimal fuel economy. Once you got to full throttle and above 2000 rpm, however, performance was brisk.

We have heard some doubt expressed about these numbers, so we thought we would see how the dyno results stacked up with acceleration testing. Our 0-60 testing returned consistent times in the 8.2-8.5 second range. Average acceleration in 1st gear was 0.47g with a 5000 rpm launch. From 4500 to 7000 rpm (the rpm range we accelerated through with a hard launch in first gear), average torque is about 113.5 lbs-ft at the hubs. From past experience, for wheels and tires of this size, a loss of 5-6 lbs-ft of torque is expected from hub to contact patch.

An average of 107.5 lbs-ft of torque, multiplied by a first gear ratio of 3.143 and a final drive ratio of 4.294 gives us a total torque at the axles of 1485 lbs-ft. The tire size of 205/55/16 gives us a tire radius of 1.04 ft. This means an average thrust of 1440 lbs in 1st gear. Our total weight for the car (2705 lbs) plus driver and equipment (230 lbs) was 2940 lbs. This amounts to an maximum average acceleration in first gear of 1450/2940 = 0.49g. While this is slightly higher than what was recorded, launches were performed with a great deal of wheelspin to keep the engine speed up, accounting for some error.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
"Power and torque at the hubs indicate that this engine is producing more like 150-155 hp and 135-138 lbs-ft of torque at the engine".....whoahh!! :eek:mg: that's almost as much HP as an 04Si hatch..

Can this be true? I'm hoping the 8thgens will respond better to upgrades than the sooo restricted 7thgens...

by the way, did you guys see this pic? EX/LX speedo at 145mph and not even at redline yet??

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
:SHOCKED: OH man 145 in a honda CIVIC lx/ex, thats its effin crazy!!!! i duno if i can believe that though thats kinda fast for a stock civic lx/ex... but if it can produce those numbers, thats up there with the tc....hahaha i want my new Si!!!!!! I wanna see wut numbers show up on the speedo in that baby! i wonder wut that speedo goes up to? does it have a limit?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
i would probably never even touch those numbers lol id be sh**ing my pants lol but just the thought of that coming from the new civics!! im really getting excited for this new si

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
~racnjsn04~ said:
How is it under rated? I see 137.9 is the highest # where is says hp and 129 lbft, but the lines aren't off the chart.

btw great find webby! Thanks
"Power and torque at the hubs indicate that this engine is producing more like 150-155 hp and 135-138 lbs-ft of torque at the engine."

honda rated the engine 140hp. That dyno chart is measured at the flywheel. So according to vtec.net, the engine is producing more like 150-155hp at the engine. = under rated. Same as the SI dynos done by vtec.net.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Wow i got my civic last year and I never knew it had that much potential! I went on other forums and they said that their top speed on a 2006 EX was 130 but i guess thats livin proof! ^_^

·
Registered
156 Posts
Where do you see 150-155hp on this dyno graph? The dyno says HP at the FLYWHEEL and it's 136.X, not at the wheels. The Honda advertised HP is always at the flywheel. So this car is OVER rated by 3-4hp according to this dyno run they are displaying.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
vtecharry said:
Where do you see 150-155hp on this dyno graph? The dyno says HP at the FLYWHEEL and it's 136.X, not at the wheels. The Honda advertised HP is always at the flywheel. So this car is OVER rated by 3-4hp according to this dyno run they are displaying.
thats what i was thinken. plus i really doubt that an ex or lx could take an ep3. it just does not make sense. i have seen others dyno at 120 hp to the wheels on an ex. it was on this sight to. im still a sceptic if this is true or not. i did not see 155 hp on the dyno chart.

·
Registered
48 Posts
According to Injen's Dyno on their website, the Ep3 produces about 137.8hp and 123.4lbs of torque. This number is similar to the tov dyno where the ex produces 136.3hp and 128 lbs of torque. So does that mean that an lx (which is lighter than an ex) might beat an Ep3? curb weight lx 2654 vs. ep3 2744?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I raced a ep, one of my buddy has one. Bone stock cept for a exhuast (from the catback) and intake. Comestics don't count =P, anyways.. off the line it was close but he pulled in 2nd.. but rollin in 2nd (50-55 km/h) I took him like nothing. vtec.net is pretty accurate, under 2000-2400 or soo, power is ****.. but above it (espically in 3rd) the thing pulls..

I have an EX by the way, so I dont know about the other base models (DX, LX).. F8ck skeptics and non-believers, all I know is its a honda motor, its got potential.. just haters that cant believe a EX could whoop a ep ..lmao and our cars are built for fuel economy. That's what makes it even more funny

·
Registered
887 Posts
oh yeah, don't get me wrong.. I'm not trying to come off as our base models are Ferrari's.. it is a fuel economy ride, and sure as hell feels that way.. but it has potential to be a beast believe you me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Rpm2 said:
It all sounds great...but my civic still feels really slow on the road!:driving:

Same here. Seems like this engine has way more bark than bite.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
jspecFG said:
oh yeah, don't get me wrong.. I'm not trying to come off as our base models are Ferrari's.. it is a fuel economy ride, and sure as hell feels that way.. but it has potential to be a beast believe you me.
Fair enough, I am most disappointed in low rpm’s. I know civics are like this I had a 90 CRX and a 90 Civic for the last 16 years. They seamed to have more power on the low end and I could feel a little bit of a pull when I raced it. My 06 just doesn't seem to pull at all...maybe because the car is so much bigger I just don't feel it. Also I've only had the car for just over a month and haven’t opened it up very much. Plus my older civics had exhaust mods but that only gives a few more horsepower and the low end torque should be a little worse but it was better than my 06.

·
Registered
156 Posts
All I know is my '01 EX coupe MT was faster than the '06 LX coupe MT I have now. The '06 feels at least 1/2 sec. slower 0-60.
My g7 felt like it had more low end torque too. In 4th gear I could drive around town and it pulled well between 30-50mph. The '06 is dead in 4th gear at those speeds. I have to be in 3d for the car to move a little and even then, 3d only likes to move from 40mph on up. I have to rev the '06 higher to get the same acceleration I was getting with the '01 EX, or close to the '01's acceleration (I don't think I get the same).

There also seems to be a lag in the gas pedal. I 'll put it to the floor and nothing happens for about 1sec. if your engine speed is below 3K RPM. I 'm sure the computer controls all that for fuel economy but it seems that after about 1sec. of having it to the floor, the computer wakes up and says: "ok this guy has it had floored for a full second or second and a half, he doesn't care about gas mileage, lets open up the throttle body more here some more fuel and air.

I also know that my brother's '95 Integra LX MT with the same horsepower & torque would smoke any '06 LX/EX. Granted it was about 80-100lbs lighter but even with me and my brother (400lbs total) in that Integra, it was still faster than my '06 LX coupe MT. So to me horsepower #s from Honda don't mean anything anymore. This car 's engine could be rated at 170hp for all I care. If Honda wants the motor to get 38-40mpg, they 're going to make the cars SLOW, especially at low RPM's and hold back on the fuel delivery to accomplish those good mileage #s it advertises.

This happened with the '00 S2000, first year out. Mags were getting 6 secs 0-60 and low-mid 14's in the 1/4 and said it was kind of "slow" for $32K. Honda at the time was advertising 24/30mpg for the S2K (6+yrs ago). Well the next year or the year after that ('01/02), Honda dropped the EPA ratings to like 20/25 (or 21/26 something like that) and all of a sudden S2K's were in the 13's and in the mid 5's 0-60. It is rumored that they first had the car configured to perform and be good on fuel economy. They then realized people just wanted speed & performance and nothing else, and the EPA fuel rating dropped dramatically and the S2K got fast enough to kick M3 (E36) butt. This is also why they changed to a 2.2L. The latest #s on the S2K that I 've seen are 5.3s 0-60 and 13.6-13.7 in the 1/4 and gas mileage keeps dropping (who cares with that car?). I doubt they 'll change anything on the Civic especially with these high gas prices but that's why they made the Si. Anyone that wants a "fast" Civic can upgrade to the Si and be done with it. They finally did something right.. only problem is they didn't count on making too many Si's or on the Si selling so well, soi now there is a shortage or you have to wait 4+ months to get one. They 'll get their stuff & numbers together next year I 'm sure. I also expect to see a large price hike on all the Civics next year because Honda always took advantage of the market. That's how the Civic got to jump from $10,300 in '96 (g6 DX) to $13,600 (base Civic DX) in '01 with basically the same power and options (or I should say no standard options).

Reactions: Rpm2
1 - 20 of 21 Posts