8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster here. Long story short, the civic barely cranks now but all interior lights on, power windows work, baterry terminals are on tight, etc.

I will add a few details that may help with diagnosis:

>A few days earlier (less than a week) I jump started my brother's Mazda 6 and could notice my RPMs drop as he cranked his...clearly feeling his car took some 'juice' out of mine...is this a sign?

>a few days after that, the car was still starting fine but I noticed a smell inside the cabin when I hate the heating ON, and a low (almost chugging along idle) while car was warming in this cold we experienced lately.

>A day later it, still starting fine, but the engine actually stalled a few times at red light give this low, weak idle...I could keep it running with some gas...once 'warm' it was running, idling, and starting just fine.

>last night....finally no crank at all. not even with a boost. it is a very weak crank...not turning over...almost as if battery no longer had juice...

my first thought would be an alternator...what do you guys say?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Edgar

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'd try changing your battery. A weak battery can cause a car to do strange things. If your car is a 2006 it's probably on it's 2nd battery (they usually last 4 years). I replaced mine few months ago because it wouldn't hold a charge anymore and I couldn't believe how well it started after that.

Try the battery first, I bought a Canadian Tire battery with a 4 year warranty.. haven't had any problems yet!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts