8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if non-Si models 07-11 Civic's came with VSA? I've been battling unstability on the highway forever and it never seems to sort itself out even with sport suspension. Eibach Pro-Kit springs with proper shocks and a fat 20mm Si rear sway bar have helped tremendously but still feel like the car is loose on the front end when going over 80 MPH. It likes to sway a bit on the front and have to grip the wheel quite a bit. Absolutely going to put Si wheels in this thing in replacement for the 16's but also itching to throw in the Si front bar knowing it will understeer on my setup. There are no stability issues reported with non-modified VSA equipped non-Si Civics right?

Have a strong feeling its the necessity of the front Si bar and 17" wheels for me but kind of curious if its like this to base model Civics.

· Registered
4 Posts
In November 2022, I bought a 2006 Civic DX sedan to use as a winter beater. Got it safetied and added a couple minor touches... I also find it very squirrely at freeway speeds above 70mph...

60mph and under is fine, but once you get up to 70mph, it feels like it's always being blown around. Suspension bits seem tight, tie rod feels tight. I've put about 2000 miles on it since I got it. It is fine in the city and country roads, but not so good on multi lane freeways.

Not so confident in it's snow abilities either. I have decent fairly new winter tires on it with good tread.

Trying to investigate if it is something to do with the rear alignment that is causing this squirreliness... I am amost postiive that mine doesn't have any form of VSA. It does have ABS.

I'm fairly distant to the Honda FWD platform... We had a 95 Integra from 95-02, and a 98 CivicSI from 98-04, then have been with VW products since 02. This 06 Civic is just a car to get me through the winter.

· Registered
4 Posts
I just checked my tire pressures (for the 1st time since getting winters put on):oops:

FR:24psi
FL: 34 psi
RR: 37 psi
RL: 37 psi

I adjusted the fronts to 32psi, rears to 34 psi. will see how it rides.

I believe the sticker on the door says 30 psi all around...

· Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really think my issue is the soft 16's. Stiff suspension is making the tire sidewall flex when going high speeds. I run 36 PSI but its on the warm side because I drive the car to the local gas station to top it off. If I run 33 I find it likes to flex a lot more than 36 and it doesn't feel good. I'm getting ready to replace the aged trailing arms with new ones with 65A rated polyurethane so i'll see how the car acts (Should be very stable with 17's). I've always itched about throwing in the Si front sway bar but I know it will give me more negatives in return for ultimate stability on high speeds.

· Registered
4 Posts
I'm running winters in the stock 15" size on steelies, rocking mostly 16 yr old suspension bits.... I'm not expecting too much....

we're fortunate to have other vehicles to take on the freeway that cruise fine... I just needed an extra car (insurance is cheap with my 17 yr old son) for the winter... We have a 15 Golf TDI 6 spd and a 15 Audi q7 TDI... but the price of diesel these days is crazy...

I have an older Miata project, and a 8.5/10 2001 Boxster S for the summer.

· Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just threw in BLOX Racing front subframe collar set (BXSS-20603) to combat this issue. Right off the bat the front end feels more solid than before and can take bumps much smoother. Feels like the front suspension (OEM springs + new KYB's) is actually working. I haven't driven it on the highway yet but I expect more stability. Tires still aired up to around 35 PSI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts