8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experiencing excessive rear tire wear? Took the vehicle to the dealer and they blamed it on the tires. I find this hard to believe because the front tires show very normal wear for a car with 24,000 miles on it. I have never rotated the tires and was in the process to do so when I noticed the rears were completely bald (evenly worn across). The fronts show normal wear. They are Goodyears and they do have a poor wear rating but 24,000 miles on a rear tire is unacceptable. I want to fix whatever is causing the problem before replacing the tires as they are expensive.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
maybe your civic is RWD and not rotating them has caused the issue...

in all seriousness... I would blame not rotating the tires... you would think the fronts would be worn but I know by not rotating my tires for 10K, both the front and the rear started to wear strange...

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
fitz said:
Anyone else experiencing excessive rear tire wear? Took the vehicle to the dealer and they blamed it on the tires. I find this hard to believe because the front tires show very normal wear for a car with 24,000 miles on it. I have never rotated the tires and was in the process to do so when I noticed the rears were completely bald (evenly worn across). The fronts show normal wear. They are Goodyears and they do have a poor wear rating but 24,000 miles on a rear tire is unacceptable. I want to fix whatever is causing the problem before replacing the tires as they are expensive.
the manual recomends a tire rotation every 10k miles i think. the suspension of the car is set to -.8 rear camber stock, so your tires will wear slightly uneven, and after 24k mile sof uneven, unrotated driving, your tires are worn. its your own fault for not going by the scheduled maintnance.

next time, rotate your tires when they are supposed to be.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leonard, I know I should rotate more frequently but what I didn't mention is that one of the rear tires had to be replaced because of a nail and only had 15,000 miles. I've never heard of rear tires wearing like this and generally rotate tires in the 10,000 to 20,000 range. Not trying to make the tires last forever but 24,000 miles doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
fitz said:
Leonard, I know I should rotate more frequently but what I didn't mention is that one of the rear tires had to be replaced because of a nail and only had 15,000 miles. I've never heard of rear tires wearing like this and generally rotate tires in the 10,000 to 20,000 range. Not trying to make the tires last forever but 24,000 miles doesn't cut it.
Yeah, I think this time, as Nighthawk said, you should just suck it up to experience. I bought my RSX w/the alignment out (dealership said they'd re-do as soon as I brought it in) and for some reason, my lazy ass didn't get in there for a few hundred miles but it was too late. Wore out the front 2 tires REALLY uneven and bad...

Ended up getting a screw in one and rather than patching it, just got 2 new ones.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with your suspension components. You can surely have them checked but I doubt it'll be those. Just get 2 new tires and make sure you get an alignment from a reputible place to rule out misalignment causing the premature wear.

Sorry man.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies fellas. I feel better that others aren't experiencing problems as I found a thread on a civic hybrid website that scared the crap out of me. Several civic hybrid owners experiencing this same problem. I will chalk it up to experience and my own lazy ass. I just never had a car that was so sensitive to tire rotation. From now on every second oil change I will rotate the tires. Seems excessive but I have never owned a Civic. One note, I would have never known the rear tires were being chewed up if I had rotated the tires.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
fitz said:
From now on every second oil change I will rotate the tires.
thats what i do and i have an SI 9probably drive a little harder than a hybrid) with 23k on it and still have ALOT of wear left on my tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the replies fellas. I feel better that others aren't experiencing problems as I found a thread on a civic hybrid website that scared the crap out of me. Several civic hybrid owners experiencing this same problem. I will chalk it up to experience and my own lazy ass. I just never had a car that was so sensitive to tire rotation. From now on every second oil change I will rotate the tires. Seems excessive but I have never owned a Civic. One note, I would have never known the rear tires were being chewed up if I had rotated the tires.
Apparently, there is a TSB coming about this that will change the rear camber settings.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
the 08s have a different rear suspension setup due to this issue. like jeff said, there should be a tsb out soon. you can really see the difference between the 06 07 sedans and 08s.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
Apparently, there is a TSB coming about this that will change the rear camber settings.
wow, because some people dont want to do normal maintnance on their cars, honda has to issue a TSB!?!?

seriously, look at the cars on the road today....alot, if not most of them have -rear camber (and im talking to unmodified stock cars such as mercedes, bmx, VW, audi, and such...). for example, the next time you see a X5 driving in front of you, take a look at the -camber on their tires.... are they complaing and gettign a recall due to this?? now stop being lazy and rotate your tires like your supposed to. <---not directed at jeffNB, but just this thread in general.

this is like not wanting to change your oil so honda makes a TSb to "fix" the problem. tire rotation is normal maintnence.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The OEM Bridgestones on my 06 Sedan were completely shot (down to wear bars) at 23,000 miles. I rotated my tires every 5k, and maintained appropriate pressure. Somewhere around 18000 miles I complained to my dealer about the extremely fast tire wear. I initially chalked it up to the lousy OEM tires, however, the dealer took a look at the car and discovered that the rear alignment was (in their words) "way out of alignment". I had a four wheel alignment done, and then replaced the tires at 23,000 miles.

After the alignment the car drove pretty much the same, but seemed more stable at freeway speeds.

So I don't know if the quick tire wear was due to the alignment issue, or if it was the crappy OEM tires, or a bit of both. All I do know is that the tires were evenly worn down to the wear bars. I'm currently running on Falken ZE912's and couldn't be happier, I never realized how crappy the original Bridgestones were.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Talked to the service manager about the popping from my front suspension on my si coupe, which is still most likely the bump stops. Anyway, he said that there are two known problems with si's that Honda is working on: one being the bump stops (even though there has already been a TSB) and the other being something with the rear suspension and excessive tire wear from the sedan. So according to this guy, yes, there is some issue other than people not rotating their tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
wow, because some people dont want to do normal maintnance on their cars, honda has to issue a TSB!?!?

seriously, look at the cars on the road today....alot, if not most of them have -rear camber (and im talking to unmodified stock cars such as mercedes, bmx, VW, audi, and such...). for example, the next time you see a X5 driving in front of you, take a look at the -camber on their tires.... are they complaing and gettign a recall due to this?? now stop being lazy and rotate your tires like your supposed to. <---not directed at jeffNB, but just this thread in general.

this is like not wanting to change your oil so honda makes a TSb to "fix" the problem. tire rotation is normal maintnence.
Believe me, if Acura thought that my tires were scalloped, irregularly worn and noisy due in part of owner negligence, I am sure that they would deny any assistance. The dealer measured the tread depth, checked the alignment and submitted the data to Acura. The alignment settings were “within spec”. They are waiting for the TSB before they replace my tires.

There is a post elsewhere on the board by Highrev1 that seems to shed the most light on the subject:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59619

Rotation or not, I have never owned a Honda that chewed up tires in 12,000km like this one. In fact, when I bought the car, I was considering a tire upgrade. The dealer warned me that the CSX/Civics had an appetite for rear tires and that I might be wasting my money. Guess they were right.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Rotate tires every 6k. That's what I do. Just Tires has a lifetime rotation and balance package for the tires on your car for $60.00 or so. Hopefully I can get about 6 of those going every 6k miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stirring the pot on my first post...
Well I have to assume that since Honda is releasing an adjustable lower arm for the rear of the 06 Civic to correct the camber (It is a recall). The execessive tire wear is all in our heads. BTW I'm on the list, in 76,000 miles I'm on my THIRD set of tires!

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Stirring the pot on my first post...
Well I have to assume that since Honda is releasing an adjustable lower arm for the rear of the 06 Civic to correct the camber (It is a recall). The execessive tire wear is all in our heads. BTW I'm on the list, in 76,000 miles I'm on my THIRD set of tires!
Would you care to provide the S/B #??

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't have it but the dealer in Springfield Mo and Joplin Mo both told me the parts are past due by about 2 weeks. So I guess I'll just wait it out.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
I don't have it but the dealer in Springfield Mo and Joplin Mo both told me the parts are past due by about 2 weeks. So I guess I'll just wait it out.
I always check on ISIS weekly for any S/B on the 06+ civics, and till this date I have found none on the premature tire wear.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts