8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2006 CIVIC RECALL HOT OFF THE PRESS EXTRA INFO IN LOWER POSTS

HOT OFF THE PRESS

NOVEMBER 10, WASHINGTON (AP) -- Honda Motor Co. recalled about 25,000 Civics on Thursday because the accelerator pedal was improperly installed on some 2006 models, which could cause a crash. If the pedal is improperly installed, it could come loose, cause the throttle to stick and raise the potential for a crash. Honda spokesman Sage Marie said there have been no crashes or injuries linked to the issue in the popular-selling vehicle. The "vast majority" of the 25,298 vehicles under recall in the United States have not yet been sold, Marie said. A dealer inspecting the vehicles discovered the problem in late September and reported it to the automaker, leading to an internal investigation, he said. Honda redesigned the sedan for the 2006 model year and it continues to post strong sales figures. The Japanese automaker sold 23,911 Civics in October, up 14 percent from last October, according to Autodata Corp. The company sold 257,749 Civics in the first nine months of this year, down 1.2 percent from 262,958 sold last year. Honda did not immediately have a breakdown of how many 2006 models have been sold thus far. The redesign includes a new floor-mounted gas assembly that involves the accelerator. The sedans under recall were manufactured from early June through early October, and countermeasures have been put in place on the assembly line to fix the problem, Marie said. Owners were being notified of the recall this month and told to bring their cars to a dealership. Dealers will either reset the pedal or replace the assembly at no cost to consumers.

Very interesting start :banghead:

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
eh... I'm guessing it's not that big of a deal if the only person who's discovered this was a dealership. No accidents or anything. I bet his pedal was just loose is all. Just take it to the dealer and have them tighten it or make sure it's all good.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
02boostlessVIC said:
HOT OFF THE PRESS

NOVEMBER 10, WASHINGTON (AP) -- Honda Motor Co. recalled about 25,000 Civics on Thursday because the accelerator pedal was improperly installed on some 2006 models, which could cause a crash. If the pedal is improperly installed, it could come loose, cause the throttle to stick and raise the potential for a crash. Honda spokesman Sage Marie said there have been no crashes or injuries linked to the issue in the popular-selling vehicle. The "vast majority" of the 25,298 vehicles under recall in the United States have not yet been sold, Marie said. A dealer inspecting the vehicles discovered the problem in late September and reported it to the automaker, leading to an internal investigation, he said. Honda redesigned the sedan for the 2006 model year and it continues to post strong sales figures. The Japanese automaker sold 23,911 Civics in October, up 14 percent from last October, according to Autodata Corp. The company sold 257,749 Civics in the first nine months of this year, down 1.2 percent from 262,958 sold last year. Honda did not immediately have a breakdown of how many 2006 models have been sold thus far. The redesign includes a new floor-mounted gas assembly that involves the accelerator. The sedans under recall were manufactured from early June through early October, and countermeasures have been put in place on the assembly line to fix the problem, Marie said. Owners were being notified of the recall this month and told to bring their cars to a dealership. Dealers will either reset the pedal or replace the assembly at no cost to consumers.

Very interesting start :banghead:

My gas pedal seems fine... I checked the lower mount and the upper mount that actually exits to the firewall. I guess if I am affected, I'll be receiving a letter.

Interestingly, the article didn't provide a link to check either as I couldn't find anything on Yahoo about it.

Anthony "Mario" Crea

·
Registered
21,304 Posts
honda93 said:
My gas pedal seems fine... I checked the lower mount and the upper mount that actually exits to the firewall. I guess if I am affected, I'll be receiving a letter.

Interestingly, the article didn't provide a link to check either as I couldn't find anything on Yahoo about it.

Anthony "Mario" Crea

I found this: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107969

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found this on 7thgen, one of the members has a friend that works for honda as a mechanic and got this bulletin

CHECK THIS OUT:

Print this iN message and provide a copy to the Shop Foreman and all Technicians.

American Honda has identified two possible areas for engine oil leaks on the 2006 Civic. We are working closely with the manufacturing plants to resolve this issue. If you have a 2006 Civic that has an engine oil leak, below are the two most likely causes.

Front Block Oil Leaks
The majority of all 2006 Civic oil leaks in the market have been from the front 24mm sealing bolt. The oil leak path is easily mistaken for an oil pan gasket or an oil pump leak. The recommended repair procedure is below.

Remove both the sealing bolt and washer – replace with new ones.
Thoroughly clean sealer from the mating surface and the threads in the block.
Oil the entire sealing surface on the block with engine oil. (This allows washer to rotate when torqued and not distort).
Install new washer & sealing bolt.
Torque to 60 +/-5Nm.
Rear Block Oil Leaks

Most leaks from this area have been from the rear 24mm sealing bolt, but we have seen a few that were leaking from the rear main seal. The recommended repair procedure is below.

Remove both the sealing bolt and washer – replace with new ones.
Thoroughly clean sealer from the mating surface and the threads in the block.
Oil the entire sealing surface on the block with engine oil. (This allows the washer to rotate when torqued and not distort).
Install new washer & sealing bolt.
Torque to 60 +/-5Nm
Replace the rear main seal.
Please understand that this issue affects a very small amount of the overall vehicle population, and you should NOT stock up on replacement parts. Additionally, these replacement parts will have a controlled part number, which will require the respective Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to order them.

If you require further assistance with 2006 Civic engine oil leaks, please contact Tech Line.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One owner already claimed that had an accident because his pedal stuck, car was totaled, i have no further info on what happened, anyways if all of these things start popping out then honda is in trouble.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
02boostlessVIC said:
Please understand that this issue affects a very small amount of the overall vehicle population, and you should NOT stock up on replacement parts. Additionally, these replacement parts will have a controlled part number, which will require the respective Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to order them.
before everyone freaks- read that again. Good info though boostless. Thx for the post and +rep

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Well, my car is affected by the gas pedal recall... My friends at the local Honda dealership verified this via my VIN.

Hopefully, the extent of any "troubles" is small, easily rectified things like this. I never thought of "first year jitters" and Honda to be used in the same sentence, but I becoming a little worried.

Anthony "Mario" Crea

·
Registered
166 Posts
If all us new 2006 owners remember to sign up with "Owner Link" on the honda site they will let you know if any recalls will affect you or not. I like this site.
Honda Link :thumb:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
man if there are any problems with recals. i hope they work all the kinks out before the si comes out :laughing: lol but yea that will be the first thing i check before i leave the dealer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
02boostlessVIC said:
One owner already claimed that had an accident because his pedal stuck, car was totaled, i have no further info on what happened, anyways if all of these things start popping out then honda is in trouble.
I think it would take something a bit larger than this to put honda in "trouble". The late 90's and early 00's saw a lot of TL's and CL's with failing auto trannies at around 50,000-60,000. I think there were major problems with the prelude auto tranny too. I dont even think honda sales hiccup'ed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kadenx said:
I think it would take something a bit larger than this to put honda in "trouble". The late 90's and early 00's saw a lot of TL's and CL's with failing auto trannies at around 50,000-60,000. I think there were major problems with the prelude auto tranny too. I dont even think honda sales hiccup'ed.
yes you're right because a life of a person is just as important as a failing tranny :banghead:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts