8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Another great write-up, I'm guessing you replaced the speakers without adding an amplifier?... any tips on picking speakers (both front and rear) to replace stock ones?

·
Registered
281 Posts
JaCe88 said:
Another great write-up, I'm guessing you replaced the speakers without adding an amplifier?... any tips on picking speakers (both front and rear) to replace stock ones?
Component speakers are the way to go in the front. As for the rear, coaxial speakers are good enough.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Navid said:
In the rear those aren't a direct fit, but I've read that installing a 6.5" speaker in the rears is doable if you are willing to make some minor modifications to the metal in your trunk. This individual claimed some time with a dremel was all they needed. It probably wouldn't be that hard.

Those speakers would work fine in the front though.

Crutchfield is your friend for fitment questions.

·
Registered
470 Posts
i got alpine type r`s but i cant get them to fit because they have some bars going across running into the speaker. anybody know how to work around that?

·
Registered
61 Posts
StyleZ said:
i got alpine type r`s but i cant get them to fit because they have some bars going across running into the speaker. anybody know how to work around that?

I made a spacer to go under the 6 1/2" speaker out of 1/2" plywood. Mounted the speaker to the plyoood ant the plywood to the the sheetmetal from the bottom. They will clear on one side but on the other (drivers side, if I remember correctly) you will need to trim just the end of the bar with a cutoff wheel. Trust me a hacksaw will take forever. Cutting the end will not affect any function.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have fitted the bass system kit to my ride (4 dr sedan). The kit comprises two 6.5" speakers, a control unit and wiring harness.

The speakers are made by Panasonic in Japan (stated on the box). Visually, they are identical to the stock speakers except that they have bigger magnets (about twice the size of stock).

Installation is a breeze and took me less than one hour. Just remove the stock speakers and replace with new ones. No cutting required at all - the new speakers fit perfectly. As for the control unit, it is fixed to the underside of the boot (next to the boot light) and draws its power from the 3rd brake light. I think it also contains an amp to power the 2 speakers.

The control unit can be adjusted for power and frequency. It took me another 1/2 hour to get the right adjustment that suits my listening taste.

The kit is rather ex at USD 233, but it does improve the sound quality substantially, especially the bass which our stock audios are so lacking of.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ipod said:
Installation is a breeze and took me less than one hour. Just remove the stock speakers and replace with new ones. No cutting required at all - the new speakers fit perfectly.
That's not entirely true. It must have been a good fit with the specific speakers you got. i put in a new pair last night. (Infinity 6022i)

I had to grab some vice grips and bend the 2 little humps in the speaker well. After that, yes, installation was a breeze and took me less than an hour. but before that it was a ***** and took me a while to realize the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ok, i have a question about the harness on the rear speakers. i assume theres one on the front speakers, but i just havent gotten there yet. not enough time in the day!

I plan on cutting off the harness because nowhere seems to sell a connector piece to hook into the speaker. Which wire is + and which is -? (Blue and organe) I've heard that it doesnt matter just as long as i do everything the same, but i just want to do it right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
WVUeers said:
Crutchfield sells wire adaptors here.
Thanks, i just picked some up from Bestbuy yesterday.

It says that it fits Civics till '04, but it seems to be working just fine!
The new speakers sounds great. Next step is to install the sub and amp. (still waiting for the amp to arrive)

·
Registered
48 Posts
i also put alpine type r's in my rear deck, but i picked a 5.25 and wish i went with a 6, probably no noticeable difference but its about personal ranking

·
Registered
48 Posts
on the rear deck, i also used the old speaker and cut it out for a fitting but found the speaker was hitting the grill so i drilled new holes and it cleared the metal underneath the speakers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Like damn near every write up on here.... this is incomplete and missing valuable information for newbies that are needing this walkthrough in the first place. The new aftermarket speakers are not going to be a drop in. Also there are several bars running along there that get in the way. These are critical details that cannot be omitted in the walkthrough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok i too am a Newbie to radio instalation. I would like to know witch rear speaker wires are + and - on my stock 08 civic lX with stock head unit? The rear speaker wires are red and blue on one speaker and grey and brown on the other. Im trying to hook up my subs and amp vie LOC as im trying to keep stock lx radio for now. Thanks for the help

1 - 20 of 57 Posts