8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 civic was driving just A-OK about an hour ago, I stopped off at home for about 5 minutes and now it wont start. When I put the key in the digital dash lights up. Then it flashes and clicks and I hear electrical sounds coming from the fuse box and all the lights go on and off and on and off.

Anyone have ANY idea what this could be? I'd think battery, but it's not the starting clicking (the starter does nothing) it's all the lights on the dash and the tach needle jumping.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
try jumping the car off, let it sit there and idle while the other vechile is idleing (still hooked together) if it still runs fine unhook the cars and drive your civic around, but dont go far try to stay in a parking lot or something. if your civic cuts off after about 10-15 mins it is either the alternator or the battery. try cheacking the alternator fuse. i think it is #16. by this point it is either the alternator not charging the battery and the battery trying to run all the electronics by itself or the battery not holding a charge and the alternator is working right. this same thing happened to my 07 LX and it was the alternator fuse. pray for that. BBATTERY=60$ ALTERNATOR=250-350$.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
My EX has had this problem with starting and is becoming more and more common lately...we are not the only ones with this problem though,other people with civics have this issue too. It could be the starter,alternator or fuel pump but i's annoying the **** out of me and just one more reason to sell the civic especially with the fragile interior,weak alternator and wont start sometimes,what happened to Honda?! what i usually do is i turn the key to start it so fuel gets into the fuel pump,and i wait a second or two and try again it usually works the second or third time.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
hmmm... maybe the starter!check the starter too
he said all the lights start flashing and the rpm needling jumping. i HIGHLY doubt it's the starter. he would hear grinds, rather than seeing lights flash, if it was the starter.

to the OP, go check to see if its the battery. just take a flashlight over the battery and look at what color the light glows back. light green = battery good. dark green = battery bad.

·
Administrator
45,039 Posts
he said all the lights start flashing and the rpm needling jumping. i HIGHLY doubt it's the starter. he would hear grinds, rather than seeing lights flash, if it was the starter.

to the OP, go check to see if its the battery. just take a flashlight over the battery and look at what color the light glows back. light green = battery good. dark green = battery bad.
Defective batteries still glow back green....for some reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts