8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Civic EX/LX and SI Lowering Springs Survey..

I'd like to take a quick survey to gather information from you members about what kind of lowering springs you would like.

Please answer the following:

Model: LX/EX or SI
Color: (Red, Blue, Yellow, Black, Orange, etc)
Drop:
Spring Rate:

I'll take the average of the drop and release a lowering spring product in the near future for you guys.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The job of a car suspension is to provide steering stability with good handling and to provide a comfortable ride.

Coil springs compress and expand to absorb the motion of the wheels. Without dampers (shocks) you'd have a bumpy ride. So dampers control the springs motion.

Struts are a damper inside of a coil spring.. Common on most cars nowadays. They provide structural support.

·
Registered
380 Posts
lol thanks for the 101 suspensions but i want something more deep

or something that helps me decide what is the best set of shocks struts and springs to buy for my purpose (best handling you can get at high speed)

thanks for the help unplugged

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
experience is the best end result for anyone.

There is no BEST suspension setup. What are you looking to get out of it? I can help you.

·
Registered
380 Posts
what i said best handling at high speed over 90mph as example i hate my galant vr cuz at high speed the rear of the car swings like jelly

so i want to lower it a bit and gain stability

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lowering does not neccessarily gain stability. Stiffer spring rates in the rear might help, but becareful not to throw off the cars balance.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i guess i didnt express myself in the right way

i want to lower it, better handling, and more traction if that is possible with the suspension

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that's the only way to do it..

Tires provide the traction onto the road surface. High performance, summer only, tires will give you the most traction but the better performing tires must be heated up to perform well. (Usually by doing a few laps around the track).

Stiffer springs can help stiffen the chasis up, along with lowering the car if you get a spring that was designed lowered. Shocks can be valved to the spring to help cushion the ride a bit more (meaning it won't be just a bouncy ride) - just like I explained above.

Anti-roll bars, or anti-sway bars help the car cornering better by preventing the body from rolling into a turn.

You shouldn't be doing 90mph anyhow on public roads..

·
Registered
380 Posts
who said im going to do it in public roads ;)

i like to take the car to a track but i have friends with civics and preludes so i want nice ride for racing

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
I was told eibach has good springs, and their the most reasonably priced also.
I'll probably buy the sportsline kit and new struts in a few years when the stock ones wear out.
What do you mean by color? Honda doesn't come in the colors you mentioned so I'm assuming your asking what color springs.
That really doesn't matter to me since their not highly visiable.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
leviathan18 said:
i think different colors have different stiffness (sp)

lol

i put color because some people want a specific color on their spring.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
leviathan18 said:
i tought colors may vary for softer or harder springs... my bad :p

unplugged any good recomendations on springs and shocks?
nope color has nothing to do with it. Its the company's choice.

I like QA1 springs - they are used by auto'xers.. along with ground control hardware. It allows you to adjust ride height with some of the greatest springs.

Your looking at 400 for this setup.

Shocks can run around 400-750 - Koni yellows are simply the best for stand alone shocks.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pro-kits are nice for a suttle drop and decent improvment in handling. Sportlines blew my stock dampers on my rsx type-s in 3 months.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
struts are just a shock inside of a spring. A damper is the shock part that's inside the spring. (which is what the term COIL OVER) came from.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts