8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Bought a 2006 Civic (my first car) a couple weeks back and noticed that the coolant was low after a commuting back and forth from school (after 2 days). Turns out the headgasket was leaking so the mechanic replaced it and just got the car back today. However, I was driving it around and noticed the engine sounded a little weird. Maybe I am being paranoid but I was wondering if this knocking sound is usual for an 8th generation civic. I have a video attached of the noise when its idling in the driveway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
pretty sure its the valves as well, just bought an 07 that has never been adjusted at 165k and it sounds about the same and after checking the timing chain/adjuster, as mine sounds about the same, not quite as loud... i just ordered on a new valve gasket and when it arrives will be doing a valve adjustment and will let ya know

·
Registered
86 Posts
Valves ticking means they are not over-tight, which is generally a good thing for an eco car. The saying goes, you'd rather hear them then smell them. If you get them too tight they can cause you to burn the valve seat, which is generally bad.

Some of that is injector noise and can be ignored, but I'd say yeah the valves are ticking. A lashing is cheap and easy, and I'm sure your mechanic did it when replacing the head gasket. Our tolerances are quite low though, I had to adjust my valves 3 times to get them right. And broke 2 head studs while doing so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts