8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has sat a few months due to health issues.Went to start last week and was dead. Today i bought a new battery and removed the old one.First thing i noticed the car was extremely hard to start..Once i did get it running it runs poor. Barely any power and when you go to rev it seems like no power and its running rough like as if its not running on all cylinders. The car ran perfect up til the battery drained from sitting..Ive changed many batteries in the day and have never had a issue..I dont know a lot on hondas.

The only other thing with this car is the key..It can not be removed due to badly worn lock cyl. But the key was off when i removed the battery..

·
Registered
27 Posts
for the key cylinder, get some spray lube for locks and jam the key back and forth in it, should lube up everything and loosen and lint, dirt, etc.

for the battery did you make sure that everything else was good? for example the oil. it could run rough because the oil is past life expectancy.

check your spark plugs too, could have fouled out and started a misfire.

im new to hondas too and im still pretty novice with them. i hope im able to help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i did check all obvious.connections at coil packs. maff plug ect..Oil was fine..It ran like a top until i fell ill and let it sit a month.Battery fell low and wouldnt roll it over so i went yesturday and bought a new one..Installed it and went to start it..Was extreme hard to start..then when it did its running horrible . barly any power. seems like its not running on all cyls..I heard of some cars requiring something hooked up so the ecu or something dont get cleared but i doubt thats the case with this car...IM just stumped at this point..

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Maybe rodents got into the engine bay? Check to make sure there is nothing blocking the air intake. Or chewed wires somewhere. Any check engine lights?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks..Ill look into that..It has a cold air intake so doubtful as its sealed.Wires chewed is possible..It is parked inside a garage but for sure possible..I have read about the imobilizer/key..I am guessing that would require special tools..Honda dealer here is not a option way over priced..Hoping i can find my issue..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Car has sat a few months due to health issues.Went to start last week and was dead. Today i bought a new battery and removed the old one.First thing i noticed the car was extremely hard to start..Once i did get it running it runs poor. Barely any power and when you go to rev it seems like no power and its running rough like as if its not running on all cylinders. The car ran perfect up til the battery drained from sitting..Ive changed many batteries in the day and have never had a issue..I dont know a lot on hondas.

The only other thing with this car is the key..It can not be removed due to badly worn lock cyl. But the key was off when i removed the battery..
The ECM (brain) must be relearned...its sit for a while . The computer lost its memory take it too the dealer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ECM (brain) must be relearned...its sit for a while . The computer lost its memory take it too the dealer
Appreciate that..I too am leaning that way..The Stealership here are idiots..Ive called 2 honda dealers..Keep getting no battery wouldnt do that..Blaming it on bad gas what not..Ive replaced sparkplugs..All 4 were soot..Made no diff..I to believe its ecm..Car ran mint till battery change..And i done it propper neg cable off..then positive..and hooked up with pos first followed by ground..Only thing ive noticed neg cable quite green so im going to replace it and i have a pricy scan tool on order that does ecm reset..key programming ect..Im done with the dealership..They just dont want you doing repairs..when in reality all they going to do is same thing hook up a code reader..If that dont sort it im at a loss and it will be going to a mechanic locally..But trying to save knowing im due to go in for a operation soon...Cant afford stealership prices..Thanks for everyone who has tried to help and given advice..Awesome group of people here!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd say your gas is shite if it sat longer than 6 months. One of my cars had the parking brake stick to the rotor after I parked it for 3 months. It drug the tire until it broke free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts