8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, I'm looking to buy an FG1 coupe in a few months and I'm wondering what the difference truly is between the 2 models. I am aware that new 09-11 has the facelift and I've heard a few things about 3rd gear lockout being fixed.
It is harder to find an 09-11 where I live and there are more options and better prices for the 06-08, so I am wondering if I'd regret buying the older model and what the pros and cons of each are.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I believe the 09-11 had a usb connection while the 06-08 only have the aux input. Also I think the seat material changed as well (though this could be Si exclusive.)

Other than that I don't think there is really any other change that comes to my mind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I may be telling you something you already know here, but some 2006-2008 R18 engines have a casting flaw that causes them to crack and leak coolant. This was fixed in later models. There was also a problem with the upper control arms in the rear suspension for some of the 06-08 civics, which created too much negative camber and caused tire-wear issues. Honda offered a fix, in the form of updated control arms (they're longer). However, even though I had the updated control arms, I still had to buy and install adjustable rear upper control arms to reduce the negative camber.

You may find info about these things and other stuff if you look in the technical service bulletin sticky threads here and here. Good luck.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I would suggest a 2009+ just for the engine block cracking issue alone. You can research the little differences easily online.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My girl has an 08 ex and I have a 2010 si, besides the obvious si r18 differences, only difference between the two is the face lift. And mine has a USB plug in the center console. Although I believe the 06-08's had that if you had the top of the line audio system. Then they made it standard in 09. Also the 06-08 si had a red lens on the wing mounted brake light. That changed to a clear lens in 09

·
Registered
52 Posts
So in the 09-11 they come stock with fog lights. Different rims of course. The center section of the seat material is different. Some bearings inside the trans are updated and stronger for the si. Certain colors are only available. The deal breaker for me to buy a 09 was the steering wheel material. In 06-08 the steering wheel is rubber wrapped, so after so long the steering wheel starts to fall apart. I've seen them so beat you can actually see the frame or if you grip the wheel hard enough the rubber will start to roll. Leaving your hands all black and sticky. In 09-11 it's leather wrapped so no falling apart. I think also the door panels where you can put drinks is different design.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts