8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Civic Si Coupe, TW. Bought with 6 mi, just turned 200 mi.

I'm still in the break-in period, so I haven't hit VTEC yet, but I am very impressed with the amount of power it has even shifting at 3-4k.
It has BMW-like handling (I have owned an '04 325i); a great combo of handling and ride comfort.
I'm still babying mine but I put the demo Si through its paces (I got to demo it by myself) and though it's not a fast car, the driving dynamics are awesome. It will need a tire upgrade (Eagle F1's ordered) and maybe a rear sway bar. I also plan to get a Neuspeed short shifter; other than that, I'm leaving it alone.

Now a couple complaints. There are several minor fit and finish issues I have described in detail below. Are these issues pretty normal?

1. I have a spot on the driver side fender, about the size of a pencil dot and slightly raised; like a spec of dried paint that was clear coated over. I've seen this on other cars and suspect its due to the new paint formulas. I am going to try to wet sand it down. It's not noticeable unless very closely inspecting.
2. passenger door window squeaks when first going up or down.
3. passenger seat has a crease on the lower right bolster due to mis-molded seat foam.
4. leather steering wrap is not sewn consistently on curved spots.
5. section on rear seat bolster area has mis-molded foam and loose upholstery that causes it to bunch up in one spot.
6. EVERY upholstered piece in the car is off, as if it were slapped on. Done by comparing alignment of stitching on each side of seat, arm rest, etc.
7. In good light the lower part of the plastic B-pillar door trim looks as if it has a molding defect, (a little wavy) on both sides.
8.rear bumper cover is misaligned. There's a bigger gap under the driver side tail light than passenger side, where it meets the wheel wells it protrudes out on the passenger side~1/8" and in ~1/8" on driver side.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to contributing to the forum!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hi welcome to the community! Here is my responses please dont take them personal :p

If you are going to bust out the ruler, you will probably find misalignments in every single car.

If you think it has "power" at 3-4k rpms, holy moly, wait till you hit 6000 :p

SI handling > 325i, definately. If you want to feel an immediate difference in cornering, head on over to corsport under the sponsors and pick you up a corsport H brace. For 80 bucks shipped, its quite possibly the best handling upgrade for the buck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ley said:
Hi welcome to the community! Here is my responses please dont take them personal :p

If you are going to bust out the ruler, you will probably find misalignments in every single car.

If you think it has "power" at 3-4k rpms, holy moly, wait till you hit 6000 :p

SI handling > 325i, definately. If you want to feel an immediate difference in cornering, head on over to corsport under the sponsors and pick you up a corsport H brace. For 80 bucks shipped, its quite possibly the best handling upgrade for the buck.

As long as everyone else's Civic has those problems, I'm good. I didn't mean "power" as in its fast, I just meant it's better than I expected.
I looked into the Corsport H brace and am giving it some serious thought.
Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
a review at 200 miles...? if things are falling off then take it back. but its a little early in the cars life to see how its holding up.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
ley said:
Progress = overpriced.

H-brace = more stress coverage.

corsport ftw.
Progress = Tighten up the back end
Tighten up the back end = more netural rotation in the corner
more neutral rotation in the corner = less understeer.

It really is all up to you, but the PRSB does seem to be very good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
take it back to the dealer if you feel the issues need to be looked at.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If those are common issues then I'll live with them, they are minor and will not likely be noticed in a coulpe months when the new car honeymoon is over. But, if evrey one else has perfect, tight upholstery and not one person has a paint fleck then I'll take it in.
These are the types I didn't notice on delivery (I won't take delivery at night again) and I am just wondering if other Si owners have similar fit/finish issues.

·
All Liver GSP's!
3,619 Posts
The upholstery seems like its your car, and you should have it looked at. As far as the stitching, pillar warp and rear bumper cover goes.....thats why it costs 20K and is a Honda. Honda sucks with that stuff, they always have. VW is awesome with those little details but they are not a "better" car.

I would say get the seats looked at because that seems like a real flaw. The other stuff is a unfortunate side effect of not buying a $30K car. You are probably noticing a bit more from driving the BMW too. I am in Porsche's and Audi's all day long and the fit and finish drove me crazy on my Si at first....but I just look at it as a fun commuter and dont worry about it.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
The fit and finish you described on the interior is normal for the 06-08 civics we will have to see if Honda if ever will fix these issues and problems. Does your door panels flex or pop out when you roll the windows down or up?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
06CivEXJon said:
The fit and finish you described on the interior is normal for the 06-08 civics we will have to see if Honda if ever will fix these issues and problems. Does your door panels flex or pop out when you roll the windows down or up?
No pop-out, just a squeak I'll try to fix when I install my door speakers.

edit; I just noticed, even the freakin' Honda emblem on my key fob is crooked!! I still don't regret buying it, but I Honda will have to improve to get me back when I replace the Si.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
downwind4final said:
No pop-out, just a squeak I'll try to fix when I install my door speakers.

edit; I just noticed, even the freakin' Honda emblem on my key fob is crooked!! I still don't regret buying it, but I Honda will have to improve to get me back when I replace the Si.
I meant do your windows seem to make the door panel move at all when you roll the windows up/down? wondering because i have a thread on it and other people including myself have this issue im not sure if its normal or not. Wow seems like quite a list of issues and problems your 08 Civic i would of thought Honda would fix these problems by now since the car has been out for two years now!! don't expect to see anything fixed on the 09 model i bet and if your transmission is acting up like 2nd or 3rd gear not engaging or popping out thats normal for 06-08 Civic SI's,Acura RSX Type-S also had this problem. Will Honda learn?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since this is "normal" I am very disappointed. My sister got a new 07 Cobalt for her 16th b-day and it has better fit and finish.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
downwind4final said:
Since this is "normal" I am very disappointed. My sister got a new 07 Cobalt for her 16th b-day and it has better fit and finish.
I didn't mean you. I meant the slight flex in the window. It is a bit wierd, but most cars do it, and is mostly a mechanism of the window itself. I won't disagree that quality went down slightly for at least the Civic line, but my parents cars and my previous car had slight flexing also, and we've never had a problem with them. Tinted windows and all.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts