8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I smashed into a curb the other day and banged up my wheel pretty badly.

Ended up needing to get the wheel bearing replaced. Labour was $192 which wasn't unreasonable.

But I also paid $198.50 for the bearing (part no. 44300-SNA-951). From every site I google, I find this part listed under $75.

Did I get screwed? Or is it normal for a shop to charge this much for a part when compared to an online parts dealer?

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Dealers and shops almost always rip you off. Lots of times they won't even work on your car if you bring in the parts, either. It's ridiculous imo

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Im a parts manager for a body shop and yeah its normal...my price is pretty steep and i get a discount
Ah ok, I didn't have the time to do it myself so I guess I can't complain if it's the norm.

Well now u know not to crash your car.
Well it wasn't intentional :) I was actually doing a u-turn and I accelerated into the curb (thought I was going to clear it). Surprising that this much damage was caused. I bent my rim a little too.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
some stuff i get a great discount but others its like rape...w/o the lube lol

and i just noticed ur in canada....it might be a lil worse up there

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
man I don't want to make you feel bad but wheel bearings are definetly something you should have bought online. They have equivalent honda part numbers from company's like SKF, NTN and Timken.

Bearings are all the same as far as fit form and function (so long as you have the right model for your vehicle). All the companies listed above have top quality Quality Standards so you can't go wrong. Shoulda bought online.

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
The prob with that is a lot of shops will turn you away. A lot of their profit is generated from buying parts and marking them up 2x the cost. It isn't enough that they charge you $50+ an hour...

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
bearing for me costed me about 110 out the door.
dealers always screws people
i went to MY MECHANIC that works only on my car

·
Registered
906 Posts
Unfortunatley we are in Canada and stuck with Canadian prices.

I get great honda prices (at cost) but i am sure i could get better deals if i walk into a dealer in the states off the street.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts