1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
yea i saw these. i'm hoping they do a project EX. soon

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well considering there will be many more people willing to mod their non Si, I don't see why it's not logical at all, there are after all only 15k Si models this year and the 'mod' consumers typically are the people with the regular coupes and sedans that want a bit of performance.

However... the Si needs the attention right now for sure.

·
Registered
436 Posts
mplscivic said:
I dont understand why they would do a project ex when it has a weaker engine than the Si. It just doesn't seem logical.
u seem to think honda only makes certain engines tuneable. i guess dc sports and the like shouldnt make parts for r18. the r18 will gain alot of power i bet. considering how chocked the si's exhaust is only being 2in. i can only imagine how small the piping is one the other cars.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would be nice to have a project R18 (I wouldn't call it project EX as the same mods would apply to the DX and LX as well). However, if I were to buy a DX/LX/EX, the first thing I'd do as a mod is get an engine swap. Kinda defeats the purpose of this analysis. Dunno what would be cheaper in the end, especially if I wanted to do a K24 block swap. With the EX/LX/DX I'd also have to worry about the tranny and possibly other things. Suspension would be swapped for sure but what about differences in steering?

I see an R18 project answering some of these questions but I think I might just go the easy route. If a DX with an engine/tranny swap is cheaper, I'd definitely consider.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dude, swaps cost alot. u would be looking at 6k or more for a swap with the K24 or K20 or K20a2 for a R18. I dont think the motor mounts match up, so u would need some of those... and thier isnt that much engine space in the 8th gen so it would be a tight fit.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's called a bank loan or 2nd job. :)

But anyway, the question is, what would be cheaper (including the purchase price of the car)? Swapping a K24 block into a DX or into an Si? Also keep in mind stock suspension would be swapped. Getting a K20A, K20A2, K20Z1 or K20Z3 head shouldn't be difficult.

I hope that they're wired similarly and use compatible ECUs. Insurance may also be cheaper with the DX but financing mods would be difficult. :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
One of the reasons the Si has drive by wire steering is because the engine is a bit large for the bay, this is not one of those engine swaps you should even bother with... it would end up costing more than just buying an Si.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
iwu said:
One of the reasons the Si has drive by wire steering is because the engine is a bit large for the bay, this is not one of those engine swaps you should even bother with... it would end up costing more than just buying an Si.
I'm sure that's the route I'll be taking. Just want to be sure, that's all. :)
But I asked because I'm very sure I'd eventually upgrade to the K24 block. I'd like the larger 2.4L displacement to reduce compression (for turbo/SC) as well as increase torque.

·
Registered
57 Posts
the EX models are ****ed, there headers are pretty much connected to the head, that means you will have to replace the hole head to get headers, ex just dont seen to be tunable. but i just want parts to start coming out so i can mod my car as soons as i gets out the lot.

·
Registered
106 Posts
youngxlos said:
the EX models are ****ed, there headers are pretty much connected to the head, that means you will have to replace the hole head to get headers, ex just dont seen to be tunable. but i just want parts to start coming out so i can mod my car as soons as i gets out the lot.
That part that you think is connected can actually come off and an aftermarket header (single) can bolt onto that.

And btw all models have the same engine, so it's not just the EX

1 - 14 of 14 Posts