8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's going to be my first winter drive this year since I'm new here in Minnesota and I have a few questions too...I've got a 6 month old EX Coupe (is that a FG1?)..Anyways here goes:

Do I have to buy paint sealant?
Do i have to undercoat the car?
I've read that I also need to get window washer fluid, anti-freeze, and a window scraper...Won't the scraper scratch the paint or the windows?

Maybe you guys could recommend the brands (and a good place around Eagan for the undercoat) that I should get for all the stuff that I have to buy.

Thanks dudes :wavey:

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
1.you dont need paint sealant, but it cant hurt. definatly at least try to get a good coat of wax on your ca before winter though.
2.your car comes with a undercaoting from the factory.
3.your car has washer fluid, but i recommend emptying your OEM fluid out for some that wont freeze. many people (including myself) hav had their washer fluid from teh factory freeze. it was a PITA to deal with when cold, so just get some good fluid in there now before you dont want to go out in the snow and change it.
you shouldne need to change your antifreeze.
a window scraper shouldnt scrtach your glass, but dont use it on your paint!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I always carry a flashlight, a blanket and some runners (to put under a tire that gets stuck in the snow/ice) in my trunk. Be prepared in case you get stuck somewhere. We haven't had much snow early in winter lately, the kind that piles up and sticks around for awhile anyhow.

oh yeah, wash the road salt and grit off as much as possible during the winter, that is what will kill your paint, sand and salt sticking to the surface.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
CivicPinoy said:
It's going to be my first winter drive this year since I'm new here in Minnesota and I have a few questions too...I've got a 6 month old EX Coupe (is that a FG1?)..Anyways here goes:

Do I have to buy paint sealant?
Do i have to undercoat the car?
I've read that I also need to get window washer fluid, anti-freeze, and a window scraper...Won't the scraper scratch the paint or the windows?

Maybe you guys could recommend the brands (and a good place around Eagan for the undercoat) that I should get for all the stuff that I have to buy.

Thanks dudes :wavey:
The only paint sealent you need is a strong, good coat of dependable wax.

Undercoating doesn't hurt, but as long as you wash your car at least once every few weeks (and don't park in a heated garage, which will activate the road salt and increase rust development), you'l lbe okay.

Winter window washer fluid is imperative, don't know about anti-freeze, and be careful with your window scraper: don't be too rough, and avoid touching your paint with it at all costs.

·
Registered
718 Posts
also, take your car to an empty parking lot after the first snow and play around a little. get a feel for how the car handles in the snow. learn to get out of a skid and learn your stopping distance.

Don't be affraid to drive too slow. That's right, I said it TOO SLOW. I'm sure you will get some nasty looks from us seasoned pros, but better safe than sorry.

and don't forget to put some winter air in your tires.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Special Ringpop said:
The only paint sealent you need is a strong, good coat of dependable wax.

Undercoating doesn't hurt, but as long as you wash your car at least once every few weeks (and don't park in a heated garage, which will activate the road salt and increase rust development), you'l lbe okay.

Winter window washer fluid is imperative, don't know about anti-freeze, and be careful with your window scraper: don't be too rough, and avoid touching your paint with it at all costs.
I wash my car every few weeks anyways so that shouldn't be a problem..As for washing under the car that's what I don't do..i do wash the wheel wells but that's it for the underwash. And my apartment has a heated garage where I park..hmm that could be a problem.

brdhouse: It's my second winter here, but my first one actually having a car:vtec:

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Winter driving in Minnesota:

Body/Paint: Use a good sealant and then wax your car before winter. The sealant uses synthetic polymers that last longer than wax. I use Jet Seal, which is designed for harsh conditions.

Rustproofing: Not necessary really. I don't have it on either my G35 or my Si.

Washing: Try to keep the salt off your car as much as possible. Go to a coin operated car wash where you can spray the car down well with clean water.

Tires: Not a bad idea to have dedicated snow tires like Blizzaks, especially if your Civic is your daily driver. I have ultra high performance all seasons that I plan to use this winter.

Scraper/Brush: Get one with a scraper on one end and a brush on the other. Just make sure that when you clean your windows, you don't touch the paint with the scraper. Use the brush gently on painted surfaces when there is a snow build up.

Windshield washer solution: Always nice to have a gallon around to fill up when the roads are slimy with road salt.

Tools: I often keep a flashlight, jumper cables and a small shovel in the trunk of my car. Many times I have come out of work only to find my car buried deep in snow. That shovel comes in mighty handy in situations like this. I also keep a blanket and extra gloves in the trunk.

Winter the last few years has been fairly mild. Nevertheless, Minnesota is known for its crazy weather. Be a good scout and always be prepared.

·
Registered
563 Posts
^ I disagree with your rustproofing comment, but agree with the rest. The 1/4 inch of tar on the bottom of my car makes it so I don't have to wash under there. lol It also protects all of the nooks and crannies from rusting inside out. With 10YR warranty.

Definitely worth peace of mind, but to each his own.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
vetkiller said:
^ I disagree with your rustproofing comment, but agree with the rest. The 1/4 inch of tar on the bottom of my car makes it so I don't have to wash under there. lol It also protects all of the nooks and crannies from rusting inside out. With 10YR warranty.

Definitely worth peace of mind, but to each his own.
Bro, I am 55 years old have been driving since 1969 and have owned cars since 1970. I had a 1987 Scirocco 16v that I kept for 18 years. Never had it rustproofed. That car had zero rust on the body and the chassis when I sold it. The factory did a great job of coating different parts of the car.

Many people feel that the tar you mentioned can trap moisture and actually cause more rust. You don't work for Ziebart btw?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I hear you, but with a 10 year warranty I have nothing to lose. Particularly with the salty Minnesota winter. I'd highly doubt it's a gimmick. Believe it or not, Honda is notorious for rusting in the wheel wells and side skirts.

If your not going to keep your car more than 6 years then no big, but like I said to each his own. :wavey:

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Found this about rustproofing. Something to ponder:

Rustproofing
Modern technology has also provided us with cars that hold up better to rust. In the end, rust will probably win, but quite possibly long after you've traded the car. Today's cars of galvanized steel (even plastic!) come with generous "rust though" warranties, in the event that inner rust comes through to the outside of your car. Some would argue that a rustproofing job can make a car rust even faster with all the drilled holes necessary to spray the coating through the body. Rustproofing isn't as common (or necessary) as it used to be, and typically a high markup service performed by the dealer.

http://www.dutrac.org/asp/auto/auto_advice.asp?id=12

With regard to rustproofing, there are special problems. Many manufacturers recommend against dealer-installed rustproofing. Most say such rustproofing is unnecessary, and some are concerned that it will block weepholes and actually contribute to rust.

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/cars/cardeal/cardeal.htm

·
Registered
718 Posts
CivicPinoy said:
Winter air? umm what's winter air?
sorry, it was a joke. I thought everybody had heard the old "you need winter air" to the newb to MN winters.

Does your underground garage have a little wash area? I know alot of those do. Basically just a hose to spray down your car, but it does the job. If it has one of those, take 5 minutes to spray your car down every day when you get home. Then wash it every few weeks at a place that dries it for you. Not just the blowers, but actually uses towels and dries it. Otherwise your doors could freeze shut. Sounds like another joke, but it isn't.

·
Registered
563 Posts
NitrousG35 said:
Found this about rustproofing. Something to ponder:

Rustproofing
Modern technology has also provided us with cars that hold up better to rust. In the end, rust will probably win, but quite possibly long after you've traded the car. Today's cars of galvanized steel (even plastic!) come with generous "rust though" warranties, in the event that inner rust comes through to the outside of your car. Some would argue that a rustproofing job can make a car rust even faster with all the drilled holes necessary to spray the coating through the body. Rustproofing isn't as common (or necessary) as it used to be, and typically a high markup service performed by the dealer.

http://www.dutrac.org/asp/auto/auto_advice.asp?id=12

With regard to rustproofing, there are special problems. Many manufacturers recommend against dealer-installed rustproofing. Most say such rustproofing is unnecessary, and some are concerned that it will block weepholes and actually contribute to rust.

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/cars/cardeal/cardeal.htm

Mine was outsourced, it's not the standard rustproofing you get at the dealership. It's basically a custom job. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you. If I have any weephole problems it will be corrected for free. All I know is that pretty much every panel on my car is under 10 year warranty so I'm not too worried.

Of course there are going to be conspiracy theorists out there that think it's a scam but like I said, to each his own. I personally feel great peace of mind knowing that my car is protected in that capacity.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
vetkiller said:
Mine was outsourced, it's not the standard rustproofing you get at the dealership. It's basically a custom job. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you. If I have any weephole problems it will be corrected for free. All I know is that pretty much every panel on my car is under 10 year warranty so I'm not too worried.

Of course there are going to be conspiracy theorists out there that think it's a scam but like I said, to each his own. I personally feel great peace of mind knowing that my car is protected in that capacity.
I am not interested in battling this issue either. You took issue with my statement about the need for rustproofing and then responded. I was merely addressing your response.

I still contend that rustproofing is a waste of time on today's cars and can actually speed up the rust process, but to each his own. If you believe it is good for your car and are satisfied, I have no problem with that. As the years go by, we will all find out what 8th Gen Civics are made of. Enjoy your car. BTW, come to the meet we are planning to have. Should be our last hurrah before the snow flies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts