8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i launch from 1st gear there is still some lurch... what can i do to stop this problem?... should i be letting the clutch out slower or am i giving to little gas??... thanks for the help

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think he's asking about normal driving. What RPM's are you generally at when you launch? For my R18, I find anything over 1400 won't bog the engine. I try to stay at 1500 or over depending on how fast I want to go.

I've had very jerky launches for the past 6 months I've owned my car. The day I stopped looking at my tach as I launched, I could start a lot smoother. Maybe this could apply to you?

Edit: Oh, what do you mean by lurch? I guess you're not talking about city driving?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im talking about city driving... lanuchin from a stop for normal driving... still get a liitle bit of a rock when i launch... just wanted some tips to make my manual feel like an auto

·
Registered
731 Posts
Nothing's going to make it feel like an automatic but the biggest thing you need to do is learn where your clutch releases. So give it some gas and rev it up about 1.5K or so and easily release off the clutch and u'll feel the car start pulling. Just learn that point it releases and you'll be golden. Just match that with the appropriate amount of gas and you're off to a nice smooth start. And soon enough you'll get quicker and quicker.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
im talking about city driving... lanuchin from a stop for normal driving... still get a liitle bit of a rock when i launch... just wanted some tips to make my manual feel like an auto
I "launch" at 1000rpm. Just learn your friction point and you'll get better.
These cars are harder to drive smooth without practice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i kno where it releases im just wondering if i hold it at the friction point and how long should i hold it or do i just add gas at the friction point and keep slowly releasing the clutch without holding it at the friction point

·
Registered
289 Posts
That's something that comes with practice. You modulate your gas and/or your clutch at the friction point. You can feel when to do either and how to long or how much to do it for.

·
Registered
682 Posts
When you hit the friction point, stay there until the car is moving at the same speed it would be if you didn't have your foot on the clutch, then let off the clutch fully and you're done. Obviously that speed will be higher if you're revving higher and lower if you're revving lower. You just gotta learn how it feels and it'll be smooth, but it'll never feel like an automatic.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've found that I get the smoothest launches by slowly letting off the clutch while at the same time giving it a bit more gas as I let off the clutch. Almost like an exact opposite motion. Of course this has to be done fairly slowly. On flat ground I try and keep my RPMs at around 1500-1800. Using this technique it sort of keeps it at the same RPM until you are up to speed. If I'm on a steep hill then I try to bring it up to 2000-2700, depending on the steepness as well as if there is a car behind me.

It just takes practice. How long have you been driving this car? I've had mine about a month (it's an R18) and while I can often get very smooth starts, a majority of them are not super smooth. It's just the nature of a stick shift car.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
to launch good set ur rpms to 2300rpms and just let off the clutch kinda quickly thast what i used to do but i dont do it no more i always got introuble for it lol

·
Registered
323 Posts
I didn't have mine for a while either.. think about a month.

I pretty much got first down every time but for some reason im having problems with 2nd :x I need to keep practicing i guess :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
sounds like a personal problem...

lol jk hm just release the clutch a little slower
the way i do it is clutch put in 1st the gas release clutch half way pause for a split sec. then release all the way

·
Registered
56 Posts
You'll get the hang of it in no time. I'd say give it another week or 2 and you won't be thinking about it as much. This is my first stick car and I was surprised at how quickly I learned. The key is just experience. Keep in mind that the more you try and make your launches smooth, the more you are slipping the clutch, making it wear out quicker.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You'll get the hang of it in no time. I'd say give it another week or 2 and you won't be thinking about it as much. This is my first stick car and I was surprised at how quickly I learned. The key is just experience. Keep in mind that the more you try and make your launches smooth, the more you are slipping the clutch, making it wear out quicker.
Yeah, i was very surprised at how quickly i learned too. I didn't have much experience with manual cars except maybe 1-2 quick trips when i was in poland over the summer. Oh and my motorcycle that's over there :) (same concept as a car).

I've also had a breakthrough this morning on my way to work with second :p. I've been trying to tap the gas a bit before i slip in the clutch for 2nd.

KEEP PRACTICING! :dance:

·
Registered
67 Posts
The car will be lurchy in 1st and 2nd gear if the weather is cold out and youre trying to drive it before it's fully warmed. Cold weather includes around 45 degrees and cooler. You'll notice that it will drive a little different before its completely warmed up in winter than in summer

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The car will be lurchy in 1st and 2nd gear if the weather is cold out and youre trying to drive it before it's fully warmed. Cold weather includes around 45 degrees and cooler. You'll notice that it will drive a little different before its completely warmed up in winter than in summer
that might be it... but some times the car picks up and either i do a really fast take off or the car jerks back and forth even when its warmed up... just gotta practices the launches i guess... still launch kind of slow

1 - 20 of 30 Posts