8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reversing in and out of my driveway and when going back up the driveway I went from reverse to first gear without stopping completely (I was in a rush). My transmission made a BIG GRINDING sound (2-3 seconds) when going into first. Driving and shifting felt ok afterwards but I was getting paranoid. What are the possible damages? Can it severely affect my transmission and gears? PLEASE HELP!
-08 Si (5,9XX miles)
-Very 1st Grind

·
Registered
997 Posts
you seriously from hawaii? me too. what's up bro. and about your issue. idk, sorry. maybe since you was in such a rush, you forgot to push in clutch??? just a thought.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
2-3 seconds sounds like a long time. You should be fine, I have grinded 2nd gear like 50 times and my tranny is fine. I lot of metal shavings in the tranny oil when I changed it but otherwise still fine. Very minor damage. I can put it into 1st gear while rolling back like 2-3mph with no problem but i've never attempted to do it at a fast speed. Its not that hard to hit the brakes real quick while you're shifting from reverse into 1st gear at the same time. Practice.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I was reversing in and out of my driveway and when going back up the driveway I went from reverse to first gear without stopping completely (I was in a rush). My transmission made a BIG GRINDING sound (2-3 seconds) when going into first. Driving and shifting felt ok afterwards but I was getting paranoid. What are the possible damages? Can it severely affect my transmission and gears? PLEASE HELP!
-08 Si (5,9XX miles)
-Very 1st Grind
You can shift to reverse to 1st without any grind, as long as you aren't going too fast which I assume you were not!... are you sure you didn't mean 1st to reverse?..

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
^ya what he said....if you go from 1st to reverse while backing up or forward whatever it will grind like crazy but no you didnt do any major damage. Remember the first time you learned to drive stick? You grind all the time and the car still runs. Ya sure if you do it everyday it'll mess it up but you're cool.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was reversing back in reverse and then I had to go back up the hill, so I went into 1st gear. Going into 1st made the BIG grind noise. But thanks for the advice so far.

·
Registered
504 Posts
How fast were you going? Because I reverse at about 4km/h (note, km/h not mph), and switch into first, while still slipping/feathering/riding the clutch, whatever term is right.. I'm not even sure of the difference of those three terms. lol.

If you were going as slow as I was, it may have been either:
-your clutch wasn't full depressed
or
-you released your clutch too fast

1 - 8 of 8 Posts